Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nominate a tree for me...

• 23-03-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

If you could nominate your favourite 'statement' tree what would it be?, if space was not an issue.

We have a long driveway to our house. Have finally got the area prepared for planting and wired for lighting.
    The drive curves at the top near the house. This will be the biggest bed. I want to put a fabulous tree here. My husband likes cherry blossom but I don't. I seen a cotoneaster in a local garden that looks nice. I also saw a nice weeping birch. Does anyone have 'nysss' or 'parrotia'?

Not sure exactly what I want..but I don't want silver birch, oak, ash or mountain ash.
    I will underplant with heathers, hebes and other smallish shrubs.

Soil is good, alkaline. I've added loads of farmyard manure etc
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

How about a beech or hornbeam tree?

Lovely golden brown/dark brown leaves still on it in the wintertime.

Or would a nice Eucalyptus Tree be a nice idea?

They are lovely trees and do make a statement allright.

Lots of very old/tall ones in Mount Usher gardens in Wicklow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be wary about eucalypts, since so many of them were killed in the bad winter two years ago - too much scope for losing one in the future if we get a repeat of that.
    maybe wait a few months and take a walk around the botanic gardens to see what grabs your attention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Ginkgo biloba Hardy enough I would say for your Area ... Lovely Yellow Autumn foliage and interesting shape leaves and History
    If you have the space and indeed the patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Maybe a Lime or a Willow or a Monkey puzzle? I know you said you didn't want an oak but what about an evergreen oak? Gorgeous trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A variagated holly would be attractive too, let it get established then take off the lower branches to make a 'tree' of it. Pittisporum is very attractive too, though it is more of a pointed bush and can get very big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Magnolia. I adore magnolia trees! If only I had the space for one....

They don't do a whole lot for about 50 weeks of the year, but oh boy, when they flower, they FLOWER :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

take a look at
    a liquidamber tree fantastic fresh green leaves that turn yellow orange and then red in autumn

or a cornus contraverso variegata or wedding cake tree it is a stunning tree and is layered with white flowers. it would look better without some shrubs in front of it.

a parrota again would be beautiful

acers would be great but if you are in a windy spot there is no point getting one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

have to agree with hubby, a prunus avium plena has the most gorgeous pure white double flower in spring, or jackmonti birch for their very white bark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Photinia 'red robin' standard - expensive stuff though, but looks great. Probably more of a bush though.
    Sweet Chestnut.
    Laburnum.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks to everyone for taking the time to post.

i settled for a gingko biloba. it seemed like the best option.

thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Silver birch?
    Simple but classical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

i'd be wary about eucalypts, since so many of them were killed in the bad winter two years ago - too much scope for losing one in the future if we get a repeat of that.
    maybe wait a few months and take a walk around the botanic gardens to see what grabs your attention?

Theres a few of them dotted around the public roadways.Lovely tree.:)

Botanic Gardens...a lovely place to get away from it all,relax and unwind and enjoy the nature.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jason2010

thanks to everyone for taking the time to post.

i settled for a gingko biloba. it seemed like the best option.

thanks again

Gingko biloba is a fantastic looking tree. You wont be disappointed (assuming its a male one)

Advertisement