Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitten!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Our first night went brilliantly, only crying for a small little while then concked for the rest if the night, had one little accident outside the tray and has been perfect since! Got on great with the vet for vaccines today, they were all delighted to see him so big since they last saw him! He drinks an unreal amount though, is that normal for a kitten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Mouse drinks loads too, we can't turn a tap on without her charging over for a drink, I figure its a good thing.
    Is he peeing a lot?
    How much do you mean?
    I know when mouse was spayed and confined alone it was about half a ramekin of water a day, plus wet food with added water. It's more when she's loose and on the rampage!

mymo wrote: »
    Mouse drinks loads too, we can't turn a tap on without her charging over for a drink, I figure its a good thing.
    Is he peeing a lot?
    How much do you mean?
    I know when mouse was spayed and confined alone it was about half a ramekin of water a day, plus wet food with added water. It's more when she's loose and on the rampage!

He's peed 3 times since we got him, once in the carrier on the way home, once in a toy tunnel and this morning in the carrier again! He drank an entire small ceramic bowl of water since bringing him home yesterday plus a pouch of wet food and a quarter of a cup of tea he stole! Actually when I type it out it does seem pretty normal, I'm just not used to having good drinkers!!

Sounds pretty normal alright, lol'd at the tea, I don't drink coffee but had a visitor over that does, made him a cup and half way through it Toby jumped up and stuck his paw in then began drinking it!
    Obvious he's done it before as he knew to check temp first, we had him over a year at that stage, now he's here 5 years and will still try and steal coffee, not gone on tea though!

This thread is just going to be so full of pictures, I cant help showing him off!!

naww_zpsb3bd95f7.jpg

cutie_zpsd47c2aa5.jpg

He adores feather toys!

carryingtoy_zps6f33ea7f.jpg

having a wrestle!

wrestle_zps99fd5a27.jpg

snuggled with my mam!

snuggledwithmom_zpsdd3b2015.jpg

looking sleepy

sleepydude_zps84234781.jpg

at bedtime last night!!

play_zps1dcd198d.jpg

I had forgotten what little whirlwinds of energy kittens are! I'm covered in little scratches and he is currently running in circles chasing his tail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Awww He's beautiful - your going to have your hands full with that mischievous looking wee fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

He is soooooooo adorable. I love kittens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Love his little belly spots :D Regarding the water it doesnt sound too much. Beanie is a massive water drinker, but pees a normal amount in his litter box except when he's not spraying my curtains :rolleyes::o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Congratulations on the new arrival. He is the cutest little thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Oh my god he is adorable! And has found an amazing home! You are making me clucky for another baby!!!
    Enjoy and keep taking photos, in a few weeks you wont believe he was ever that small!!

• Advertisement

He has absolutely no fear, which is good in a way but also earned him a slap in the head from Peach!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ahh he is one handsome pussy cat. He looks well settled in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

He's delicious! I LOVE spotty tabby bellies!

Laughing at him drinking the tea - minx!

He's gonna be such a handsome big lad when he's fully grown. ((((envious))) :)

Thanks everyone! You know, I never liked the look of tabbies, now I love all cats but tabby pattern was just something that didn't appeal to me, but since this little man cam along I'm fascinated by all his markings and colourings, he is almost a beige/yellow colour on his belly and the underside of his tail, he has race stripes down his back and a 'batman' type marking across his shoulders :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'm like that with ginger cats. People go doolally for them, but me, I'm meh. Guess it depends on what cats you grew up with! I love tuxies as well. :)

I'm getting really worried about the 2 resident cats, they are getting really hissy. I know there is a new intruder in their space and really considering it was our first full day they are doing really well (as in they havent killed him) they are only together under the strictest supervision, and times they arent together im rubbing one cat then going to the room and rubbing the kitten and back again to intermingle their smells, but my 2 just look so miserable I'm beginning to question was it the right decision to bring him into the house at all :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm getting really worried about the 2 resident cats, they are getting really hissy. I know there is a new intruder in their space and really considering it was our first full day they are doing really well (as in they havent killed him) they are only together under the strictest supervision, and times they arent together im rubbing one cat then going to the room and rubbing the kitten and back again to intermingle their smells, but my 2 just look so miserable I'm beginning to question was it the right decision to bring him into the house at all :(
    I think you may have pushed the meet and greet to early; a kitten will be very much "in your face" which for obvious reasons will upset your resident cats. Having said that give them a bit more time; hissing is normal and our cats still hiss occasionally at our foster kittens to let them know they've gone over the line.

As said above, give it time, hissing is normal.
    We have Mouse since mid September and Toby still gives a warning growl if she gets too friendly or playful. I actually saw the two of the sitting touching bums on the sofa yesterday, no growling just The Look, from Toby.

Keep interactions short, when kitten is tired or full, less likely to pounce on them. I used to hand feed Toby treats like chicken or cheese when Mouse was exploring, up on a high spot mouse couldn't reach.
    Strange thing here is Jake, who was once afraid of his shadow and is 13 , didn't mind her so much, never growled, did give her a few slaps and after a couple of weeks would let her curl up with him.

Cats are all different, and once you keep an eye out for signs of stress in peach and cream you should be ok.

Thanks for the reassurance guys I was just feeling really stressed last night! We had a good interaction between dude and Cream today, dude was playing away with a hazel nut, cream was sitting under the table just watching him, no hissing huffing or growling, so while he was quiet i plied him with cheese :)

Having a fight in bed this morning!

bed_zpsf7a132f8.jpg

He likes using chairs as an obstacle course!

chair_zpsa8a27cd2.jpg

De-magneting the fridge!

fridge_zps81733268.jpg

Up to mischief

mischief_zpsfdca03c2.jpg

What is that yoke!?

hi_zps90262fde.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Awwww so cute! Sparkle used to scratch the face off Jake on a daily basis and I was worried they'd never get on! He'd come over and sniff her and she'd go psycho hissin and spittin at him! But eventually she stopped. I know it's different because it's a dog and cat... But if my diva of a cat got used to a dog then your kitties can def be best buds. :D:D:D:D

We introduced dude to the dog today, while holding him in my arms, and he started puffing, growling and spitting, first time I'd seen him do that, Id say that he would have gotten a few slaps in too if we had let him! Cream is acting so funny, when dude isnt around he is all rubs and marks and kisses, and he jumps up into my arms for cuddled and spends the whole time growling! It's like he's saying Im really mad at you but cant help loving you!

He is telling you off and reclaiming you!

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured! Dude ran out past Cream and i was fully expecting him to run and pounce on the baby, but he just plodded after him sniffing his bottom! Then Dude turned around, Cream hissed and ran. At least they aren't trying to hurt him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

hi_zps90262fde.jpg[/URL]

Well he's getting along with the panther at least :D

Yes he loves his panther, it's protecting him from the other cats :P

Pretty eyed baby :)image_zps033a0247.jpg

Dude had his first encounter with kids since coming out of foster, my 2 seven year old cousins called up to see the new arrival. My other cat absolutely hate the twins but dude adored them! The running around screaming didn't phase him in the slightest he was just delighted with all the extra attention and playing :)

Dude and cream bumped noses!!!!! Dude lied down then cream sighed, sat there for a minute then walked away! No hisses or growls! I'm delighted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Dude is the most adorable kitten ever! Keep the photos coming, my daughters and I bond over them, aawing and sighing with longing for a new kitten...Great that he is thawing your two established residents too.

Advertisement