Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missing files on external hdd

Options
  • 23-03-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to think that maybe the hdd is failing, it's a iomega 1tb ego external hdd.

Been transferring files into the hdd from laptop A to be used in another laptop B as a server for sonus playing music but files most of the times don't appear when I plug it into the B.

Sometimes when I plug it back into A the files reappear but sometimes they're not there.

I do checkdisk and fix file system and most of the times the files reappear.
    I plug it back into B and it will be a 50/50 chance of the file being there and at times I plug it back into A it will be a 50/50 chance of the file being there again.

Looks like something wrong with the file system but does that mean the disk is faulty as a whole?

The checkdisk scan and recover for bad sectors doesn't seem to be moving after 30mins so I aborted.
    With Seatools it passed the short self drive test but failed the short-generic but yet to do the long generic test.

Does this mean the drive is starting to fail? It's about 2 years old and I checked on iomega it's still in warranty.
    Anyone dealt with iomega support?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

A short self test does not include a surface test. Run HD Tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Torqay wrote: »
    A short self test does not include a surface test. Run HD Tune.

Thanks I'll give that a try when I get back to it tonight.

Just tried HD Tune and it won't run the test saying "Read Error! Test aborted."

Tried the error scan and everything was red and the results giving 100% damaged blocks.
    The scan only took a second which I found was strangely fast.

Does this conclusively prove that the drive is faulty?

I hope iomega will replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you intend to bring back to shop, you had better backup important files to another drive, or to dropbox, or to a pc drive.
    Do you always use ,click remove,device, external usb drive, from system tray,
    lower right side,of screen, when disconnecting drive ,from a laptop.IF not ,you can loses files,data from the drive.
    Try running chkdisk from laptop 2.

Open the Computer option from the start menu, which will display all of the drives available to scan on your PC:
    - right click on the drive you wish to scan for errors and select Properties:
    - click the Tools menu, then Check Now under the error-checking section:
    - You have several options within the check disk tool. It is always recommended you leave the "automatically fix file system errors" box checked, as this repairs and problems found. If you want to perform a deeper scan, tick "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". This second option takes longer, but is worth doing if you suspect a drive problem. Once you are configured, click Start.

Chkdsk will give you a message indicating that it can't continue because the disk is in use and chkdsk wants exclusive access to your hard disk. That is normal behavior. Click the "Schedule disk check" button. This will cause chkdsk to run the next time your start your computer, before Windows is actually loaded. You now need to shut down your computer. Don't just reboot, do a complete shut down and then power-up your pc.

The scheduled chkdsk will come up. This can take quiet some time and some people tend to get impatient and interrupt chkdsk at this stage, but that is definitely not recommended!

I have a external drive, it works ok,on laptop,1,
    doesn,t work properly on laptop 2.
    eg cant,i delete files on laptop2.

riclad wrote: »
    IF you intend to bring back to shop, you had better backup important files to another drive, or to dropbox, or to a pc drive.
    Do you always use ,click remove,device, external usb drive, from system tray,
    lower right side,of screen, when disconnecting drive ,from a laptop.IF not ,you can loses files,data from the drive.
    Try running chkdisk from laptop 2.

Yes I always remove the drive properly and I tried the chkdisk from another laptop but nothing seems progressing so I aborted.

Bought the drive from amazon so not sure can I return it to them after about 2 years.

Yeah I'll have to back up hopefully can borrow a drive from someone as I'd say Dropbox will take ages and take up my download limit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement