Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a commercial property

Options
  • 23-03-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi i am currently in the process of renting a commercial property to open up a sports injury clinic. It will be based within a shop that is in a warehouse. We will have the upstairs of the unit which is completely open planned.

My question is before we put up any partitions what procedures do we need to carry out. As it is commercial property should we get anyone to have a look and advise us or is it ok to go ahead and do it ourselves.

All electrical work will be done by a fully qualified person.
    We also will need to put in a suspended ceiling which seems very easy but again would regulations mean a fully qualified person would have to do this and prevent us doing it ourselves to save costs.

As you can see by this post we are newbies to something like this and would appreciate any advice given be it legle requirements or how anyone els went about it before.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mstimotay wrote: »
    Hi i am currently in the process of renting a commercial property to open up a sports injury clinic. It will be based within a shop that is in a warehouse. We will have the upstairs of the unit which is completely open planned.

My question is before we put up any partitions what procedures do we need to carry out. As it is commercial property should we get anyone to have a look and advise us or is it ok to go ahead and do it ourselves.

All electrical work will be done by a fully qualified person.
    We also will need to put in a suspended ceiling which seems very easy but again would regulations mean a fully qualified person would have to do this and prevent us doing it ourselves to save costs.

As you can see by this post we are newbies to something like this and would appreciate any advice given be it legle requirements or how anyone els went about it before.

Cheers

have you checked with planning about putting this business in this building and have you found out what portion (if at all) of rates you will be liable for

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mstimotay

Hi Tigger no we havnt sorted any of this out yet as it is at the earliest of stages. We have put nothing to paper yet and are just trying to figure out how much it would cost to turn it into two offices with waiting room from the open plan it is in at the moment.

I was aware of the having to sort out the rates but i will know more as soon as we know how much sqf is available to us. I wasnt aware I would need planning for something like this. Il have to look into that now thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mstimotay wrote: »
    Hi Tigger no we havnt sorted any of this out yet as it is at the earliest of stages. We have put nothing to paper yet and are just trying to figure out how much it would cost to turn it into two offices with waiting room from the open plan it is in at the moment.

I was aware of the having to sort out the rates but i will know more as soon as we know how much sqf is available to us. I wasnt aware I would need planning for something like this. Il have to look into that now thanks!!

rates are based on the type of business and its size
    ring the rates people and ask about similar business to the one you are planning
    its public info so they will tell you and give you an idea
    i pay 7,500 a year so as you can see they are more of a cost than a suspended ceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mstimotay

Thanks for the info. Yeah I know the rates can be crazy. There was a crazy difference in some of the previous properties we had looked at and it seems age and condition of the building must play a big part in the final number.

Advertisement