Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is this photo effect called?

• 23-03-2013 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi I would love to try this effect on a photo but dont know how? I own a go pro hero 2 and a canon 60d so i have the goods for the effect. Now im sure you set up on a tripod and set t a certain burst mode but its the editing im not sure off.

So can anyone tell me what this effect is called so i can search a tutorial for Photoshop CS5.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

stedabee wrote: »
    Hi I would love to try this effect on a photo but dont know how? I own a go pro hero 2 and a canon 60d so i have the goods for the effect. Now im sure you set up on a tripod and set t a certain burst mode but its the editing im not sure off.

So can anyone tell me what this effect is called so i can search a tutorial for Photoshop CS5.

Many Thanks

I would imagine you layer the images and mask in the parts you want, so look up layers and masks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have a look for image stacking. Newer versions of Photoshop have the ability to stack based in mathematical functions, these should do what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

I would imagine you layer the images and mask in the parts you want, so look up layers and masks.

Thought there might be another way round it, masking can be so time consuming but i suppose for one good shot its worth it. So no specific name for this shot no?

5uspect wrote: »
    Have a look for image stacking. Newer versions of Photoshop have the ability to stack based in mathematical functions, these should do what you need.

Just noticed ur post now, brilliant cheers i should find some tutorials on the best way to create such a shot. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I think the 5D MkIII can do this, and it will probably filter down to other models in time..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its called stromotion (at least when done in video it is anyway), cameras dont do it you composite multiple shots using layers in Phhotoshop. A 5D mkiii only has a burst rate of 5fps and there are 12 frames in that photo. The GoPro used for that shot does 30fps and aslo has options for bursts over longer time period. You need high fps burst to get enough frames to do the effect well. 1DX does 12-14fps which is more along the lines of what you need.

Many Thanks

Hero 2 does 10fps burst, 60D 5fps. With the gopro you would be best using the wifi remote to set off the burst.

Rew wrote: »
    Its called stromotion (at least when done in video it is anyway), cameras dont do it you composite multiple shots using layers in Phhotoshop. A 5D mkiii only has a burst rate of 5fps and there are 12 frames in that photo. The GoPro used for that shot does 30fps and aslo has options for bursts over longer time period. You need high fps burst to get enough frames to do the effect well. 1DX does 12-14fps which is more along the lines of what you need.

It can do 6fps continuously for many seconds or HD video at 60p. It can also do stacks but it won't do the selective masking needed for this effect. The 60D or any modern SLR should do the OP just fine.

Thanks a mill for the sound advice, one thing i wont be buying soon though is a €5,000 1dx haha....ill stick with my canon 60d and go pro and see if i can achieve simliar results until the money pours in then i'll hopefully buy the 1dx.

Hero 2 does 10fps burst, 60D 5fps. With the gopro you would be best using the wifi remote to set off the burst.

Hi thanks for the reply, ye gonna try do this on the go pro but with the hero 2 the remote doesn't work, hopefully get the new black edition soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

to me it looks like the multiple exposure facility built into the Canon 5D mkIII and the Canon 1DX (with the 1DX shooting at 12fps)

or course the same effect can be done with any camera and the images stacked or the person cloned into each image (assuming the camera remains still and the person does the same jump a minimum of 12 times)....oh and a completely clear background !!

Hi thanks for the reply, ye gonna try do this on the go pro but with the hero 2 the remote doesn't work, hopefully get the new black edition soon.

Works on the Hero2 but you need the wifi backpac. Hero3 extends the burst mode options giving you more flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the name is simply multiple exposure.
    It came came the film days when the photographer would take a photo and not wind the film to the next slot before taking the next shot.

All these fancy tools we need today to achieve the same result :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I did a tutorial on this about 5years ago...

ma_sluice_full_sm.jpg

Pretty easy to do once you have the basics of photoshop :-)
    Tutorial here

samhail wrote: »
    I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the name is simply multiple exposure.
    It came came the film days when the photographer would take a photo and not wind the film to the next slot before taking the next shot.

All these fancy tools we need today to achieve the same result :-)

It's not quite the same as the previous post illustrates. If you did a multiple exposure of that scene you would also expose the water motion each time. You would also ghost the subject you're trying to repeat as you continually expose that part of the frame. So in the OP's example the snowboarder would be partially transparent.

A similar (stroboscopic) effect can be got in a dark scene by using a strobe to freeze some motion during a long exposure.
    stroboscopy-basketball-1a.jpg

kjt wrote: »
    I did a tutorial on this about 5years ago...

ma_sluice_full_sm.jpg

Pretty easy to do once you have the basics of photoshop :-)
    Tutorial here

Brilliant thanks, have now good a tutorial for photoshop and after effects cs6. Thanks everyone......I love boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Good Red Bull tutorial on it below.

Here is a good version of the video effect tutorial for when the camera isn't static

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/larsen_carl/analyzing_motion/video-tutorial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The new Galaxy S4 has this feature built in. Cant wait to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 allfred

Some bridge sport cameras do that out of the box.

Put the camera on a tripod, select that mode, push button, action.

I guess there is a software inside the camera that do that for you, we tried to mess up with the camera moving it around while tacking pics and the camera get confused to what include in the final picture and what not.

I'll ask my cousin what's the name of the camera, it's a low-end camera btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I assumed it was a pretty simple photo to shoot.
    Lock the position, f stop, shutter, etc.
    Shoot a burst. Mask it.

I never got around to trying it out though.
    I wanted to do similar for some MMA and BJJ shots, but could get the motion sequence right. Doesn't lend itself so obviously to it compared to snowboarding, kayak, or other sports with linear motion.

Chase Jarvis, shooting ski sequences a few years ago:

Advertisement