If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Marantz SR7005

Options
  • 23-03-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi there chaps,

I bought an SR7005 from you about 16 months or so ago and it's developed a nasty little problem.

So, last night while watching TV(Sky), the picture flickered a bit and then blanked. Restarted everything and no picture. Tried all my other devices an nothing. My devices by the way are a 1TB Sky HD box, PS3, a Boxee Box and a Pioneer BDP-LX53 acquired from your good selves.

So took a deeper dive today.... I swapped HDMI outputs on the Marantz - to output video via HDMI output 2 that is. Sky works. Boxee does not handshake so blank screen - can't even view menus. Pioneer and PS3 menus appear but play a movie or a game and screen blanks. Move back to HDMI 1 output and nothing at all.

I can get video via component too - but can't route HDMI signal through it.

I reset the processor as per the manual and no change. Devices work perfect when connected to the TV directly so that's also ruled out. It's running latest firmware too.

Audio from analog or S/PDIF is fine.

So, it sounds to me like the HDMI board/controller is on the fritz.

I'll give you a call early in the week to see how to proceed but any additional advice and suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks, VR.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi there chaps,

I bought an SR7005 from you about 16 months or so ago and it's developed a nasty little problem.

So, last night while watching TV(Sky), the picture flickered a bit and then blanked. Restarted everything and no picture. Tried all my other devices an nothing. My devices by the way are a 1TB Sky HD box, PS3, a Boxee Box and a Pioneer BDP-LX53 acquired from your good selves.

So took a deeper dive today.... I swapped HDMI outputs on the Marantz - to output video via HDMI output 2 that is. Sky works. Boxee does not handshake so blank screen - can't even view menus. Pioneer and PS3 menus appear but play a movie or a game and screen blanks. Move back to HDMI 1 output and nothing at all.

I can get video via component too - but can't route HDMI signal through it.

I reset the processor as per the manual and no change. Devices work perfect when connected to the TV directly so that's also ruled out. It's running latest firmware too.

Audio from analog or S/PDIF is fine.

So, it sounds to me like the HDMI board/controller is on the fritz.

I'll give you a call early in the week to see how to proceed but any additional advice and suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks, VR.
    Hi VR.

Was it yourself I was talking to on the phone earlier regarding sending the amp back for repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Hi VR.

Was it yourself I was talking to on the phone earlier regarding sending the amp back for repair?
    Indeed it was Kenny - the post was something of a brain dump just so I got down the process I went through to work through the issue.

I'll be up next Tuesday with the unit.

Thanks,

V.

Indeed it was Kenny - the post was something of a brain dump just so I got down the process I went through to work through the issue.

I'll be up next Tuesday with the unit.

Thanks,

V.

Hi V,

No problem, see you then.

If you need directions or anything just let us know.

Chris

Hi there chaps,

Tried calling but you're obviously busy bees today.  Anyhow, I was hoping to get an update for the repair of my Marantz....

Thanks in advance,

V.

Hi there chaps,

Tried calling but you're obviously busy bees today.  Anyhow, I was hoping to get an update for the repair of my Marantz....

Thanks in advance,

V.

Hi V,

Apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

I've spoke to Marantz and they're going to get in touch with their repair agent and get back to us ASAP.  It may be tomorrow morning before we hear anything.  Once I get word I'll get straight back to you.

Chris

• Advertisement

Hi VictorRomeo,

Marantz got back to me this morning and told me the repair has been complete and is en route back to us. 

They told me the HDMI board has been replaced. 

We'll give you a shout once the amp arrives back.

Chris

Hi VictorRomeo,

Marantz got back to me this morning and told me the repair has been complete and is en route back to us. 

They told me the HDMI board has been replaced. 

We'll give you a shout once the amp arrives back.

Chris
    Excellent news!  Thanks for the fantastic service.....

Excellent news!  Thanks for the fantastic service.....

Hi Victor,

Good speaking to you.  Amp has been safely stored in our repair area :)

See you soon.

Chris

Ok chaps, so I drove up to you on Saturday from Kildare tocollect my SR7005 on Saturday (and bought another Sonos amp while at it) and set about hooking it all up today. Ciarantook care of me.

Unfortunately we still have problems. I’ll start with the biggie.

It will not decode any form of HD audio – either DTS HD Masteror Dolby True HD. I tried threedifferent sources and multiple disks and the effect was still the same. Nothing but silence on a HD soundtrack. I’ll back up a bit. My devices' (Pioneer LX53 BDP and PS3)configuration remain unchanged. All setto bitstream. Also tried a buddy’s OnkyoBDP and nada. Problem remains whensetting sources to Linear PCM Out too.

It will decode automatically from my Sky HD box and Boxeethe non-lossless formats (DTS, DD) and so on.
    It will also automatically decode and playback regular DD and DTS DVDson the Pioneer.

I just get no audio at all when playing back a lossless HD soundtrack. The LCD display behind theflap indicates Stereo as the format.

Next.

The Airplay feature no longer works – I assume the engineers reset the entire thing and as such the add-on license for Airplay was lost. So, I set about reapplying online for the license but it tells me the code I’m using (the receiver generates this code) is incorrect and it won’t proceed so no more Airplay. I reckon Marantz will have to advise on that one.

Finally, there are a couple of light scratches and a tinyding on the volume knob. It’s terriblytiny in the scheme of things but they were not there when I set it away. I’m extremely careful with my equipment andthings like this bug me. I’d not havementioned if was it not for the first two – bigger - issues.

So, I’m a peeved at a lot of time and diesel as you can imagine. I mean, it was sent to an authorised repaircentre under warranty. Did they notfully test the device before sending it back, and if so, is there a test log?

Before I get too cranky, please inform if I’m missing anythingor doing something stupid - I'd happily accept egg on my face here! I’dappreciate a call to discuss options and advice at this stage.

Thanks, VR.

Ok chaps, so I drove up to you on Saturday from Kildare tocollect my SR7005 on Saturday (and bought another Sonos amp while at it) and set about hooking it all up today. Ciarantook care of me.

Unfortunately we still have problems. I’ll start with the biggie.

It will not decode any form of HD audio – either DTS HD Masteror Dolby True HD. I tried threedifferent sources and multiple disks and the effect was still the same. Nothing but silence on a HD soundtrack. I’ll back up a bit. My devices' (Pioneer LX53 BDP and PS3)configuration remain unchanged. All setto bitstream. Also tried a buddy’s OnkyoBDP and nada. Problem remains whensetting sources to Linear PCM Out too.

It will decode automatically from my Sky HD box and Boxeethe non-lossless formats (DTS, DD) and so on.
    It will also automatically decode and playback regular DD and DTS DVDson the Pioneer.

I just get no audio at all when playing back a lossless HD soundtrack. The LCD display behind theflap indicates Stereo as the format.

Next.

The Airplay feature no longer works – I assume the engineers reset the entire thing and as such the add-on license for Airplay was lost. So, I set about reapplying online for the license but it tells me the code I’m using (the receiver generates this code) is incorrect and it won’t proceed so no more Airplay. I reckon Marantz will have to advise on that one.

Finally, there are a couple of light scratches and a tinyding on the volume knob. It’s terriblytiny in the scheme of things but they were not there when I set it away. I’m extremely careful with my equipment andthings like this bug me. I’d not havementioned if was it not for the first two – bigger - issues.

So, I’m a peeved at a lot of time and diesel as you can imagine. I mean, it was sent to an authorised repaircentre under warranty. Did they notfully test the device before sending it back, and if so, is there a test log?

Before I get too cranky, please inform if I’m missing anythingor doing something stupid - I'd happily accept egg on my face here! I’dappreciate a call to discuss options and advice at this stage.

Thanks, VR.

Hi VR,

Really sorry to hear this :(  Usually the guys dealing with Denon and Marantz repairs are spot on.

They're going to get an ear full from us tell ya that.  Unfortunately they're closed today with the bank Holiday.  I've printed this out and left a note for someone to get in touch with them first thing tomorrow to see exactly what they have done.  

Could I ask a favor?  Could you take a quick snap of the scratches on the amp?  Can also send these across to them.

Again sincere apologies about this.  Someone will be in touch with you tomorrow to hopefully resolve this issue.  

Chris

• Advertisement

Hi there.  I have the photos.  Perhaps you could give me an email address to send them to you.

Awaiting your call any time.

V.

Hi there.  I have the photos.  Perhaps you could give me an email address to send them to you.

Awaiting your call any time.

V.
    Hi Victor.

Let me know what D&M said regarding the settings and we can take it from there.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.