Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike insurance

• 23-03-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi all a question for ye.i have an unrestricted A permit I have completed my IBT but I only have a small bike and want to get some road experience on a bigger bike so here's the thing.my husband has a bandit 600 and he has his own insurance on is but can I insure his bandit on my own insurance. so one bike insured by two different ppl with separate insurances is it possible/legal ? This would be very handy as I'm not in a position to change/upgrade my own bike plus I could do my test on the bandit when I get my date.thanks in advance and I hope this make sense :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

uisce33 wrote: »
    Hi all a question for ye.i have an unrestricted A permit I have completed my IBT but I only have a small bike and want to get some road experience on a bigger bike so here's the thing.my husband has a bandit 600 and he has his own insurance on is but can I insure his bandit on my own insurance. so one bike insured by two different ppl with separate insurances is it possible/legal ? This would be very handy as I'm not in a position to change/upgrade my own bike plus I could do my test on the bandit when I get my date.thanks in advance and I hope this make sense :confused:
    No its not possible. You could go onto his policy as a named driver though.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭uisce33

Taught as much... Aww well .back to the drawing board so.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Taught as much... Aww well .back to the drawing board so.thanks
    Why don't you want to go on his policy?

Because I already have my own policy and don't want go down the route of being name driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Because I already have my own policy and don't want go down the route of being name driver.

You can still keep your own policy if you go named driver on his. Not too sure if it's the same for bikes as cars, but adding a partner sometimes drops the price paid.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can still keep your own policy if you go named driver on his. Not too sure if it's the same for bikes as cars, but adding a partner sometimes drops the price paid.

Really ?? Oh that would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Check whether you have open driving on your own policy (AON call it "easy rider" and give it to folk who've been insured 5 years with them). If you have, then you are insured to ride any bike that doesn't belong to you on your own policy. I'd double-check with the insurance co that it covers the bigger bike though, just in case!

gipi wrote: »
    Check whether you have open driving on your own policy (AON call it "easy rider" and give it to folk who've been insured 5 years with them). If you have, then you are insured to ride any bike that doesn't belong to you on your own policy. I'd double-check with the insurance co that it covers the bigger bike though, just in case!

Cheers for that will check it out:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Generally you only get 3rd party cover with this clause. Getting added as a named driver will have the same cover as the original policy holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Iv got this with CN.
    Only covered 3rd party though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

True, it is only 3rd party cover, but it would be enough to get started while other options are being looked at.

True, it is only 3rd party cover, but it would be enough to get started while other options are being looked at.

That's for sure.i will be ringing them tomorrow

Advertisement