Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on reported posts.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

This has cropped up before but I've never made that mistake. How does that confusion even happen? The buttons look completely different, they are as far apart as you can get on a mobile device and there has never been a switch in location on touch :confused:

246357.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The post new reply button is right under the report button of the last post. Easy enough to hit it if you have fat fingers like me :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You would think it's impossible, but if you look through the Reported Posts on any given day you'll find several posts reported instead of being replied to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This has cropped up before but I've never made that mistake. How does that confusion even happen? The buttons look completely different, they are as far apart as you can get on a mobile device and there has never been a switch in location on touch :confused:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/489713/246357.png

Its probably because in the browser, its the first button on the right, and people could be looking for a button there, without looking at what the button is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Zaph wrote: »
    You would think it's impossible, but if you look through the Reported Posts on any given day you'll find several posts reported instead of being replied to.

Ah yes, but you'll always get a few who just can't grasp it. Should the design or usability suffer for it? I recall uproar on here when we were hiding aspects of the UI behind a hover over, I shudder to think about the posts we'll get with an archaic popup confirming you want to report a post.
    Its probably because in the browser, its the first button on the right, and people could be looking for a button there, without looking at what the button is for.

They are completely different sites. If you're looking for some uniformity in buttons that look different, on a site that looks different you're sure to be in for some disappointment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah yes, but you'll always get a few who just can't grasp it. Should the design or usability suffer for it? I recall uproar on here when we were hiding aspects of the UI behind a hover over, I shudder to think about the posts we'll get with an archaic popup confirming you want to report a post.

I agree, but at least that's your department. :D I was merely commenting on the fact that it's more common than it should be for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They are completely different sites. If you're looking for some uniformity in buttons that look different, on a site that looks different you're sure to be in for some disappointment :)

I get that. But you've also got to consider those who don't regular post through touch, but predominantly more so through the full web version. It's like trying to remember to drive on the other side of the road while in France.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where the report button is on that screenshot is the default area I would look for somewhere to reply. Not surprised that some people hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah to be fair you can never satisfy everyone :pac:

TBH I's day its people being used to the web version of the site and being unsure of what button does what on the touch version. Bit of practice for the people involved and t'will all iron itself out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

246357.png

I think you and others are missing the point on this
    LizT is the exception.
    If I want to quote a post in my reply as I am doing now the 'reply' button is on my bottom left and the 'flag' is on my bottom right.
    However if I am adding a post to the thread at the end without quoting another post the 'flag' is just above the 'pencil' icon and it is easily tapped with a fat(ish) thumb. I have hit it a few times myself by accident but have spotted my mistake before hitting send.
    I think that may be some of the problem anyway.

As for the original question how about the flag gets greyed out when a Mod reads the report somewhat similar to the way a poster can't thank their own post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I read reported posts in my email. How is boards supposed to know that I've done that?

Edit: Skimming through the thread, seamus' idea seems like it could work. Don't really see any other way it could, or a need for the fgeature in general, but I tend to take a fire and forget approach to reporting posts myself. *shrug*

Advertisement