Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence refused

Options
  • 23-03-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Rang the chiefs office yesterday to enquire about my two applications. I was told that one was granted and one refused. Divisional clerk couldnt give reason for refusal, I'll have to wait for refusal letter. Looks like it will be back to court AGAIN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Any reason why they would refuse you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

That is horse manure, Do they not see all the time and money they are wasting it's a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

New applications or renewals, what calibers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

I dont know reason for refusal yet. He has granted 9mm s/a but refused .357 revolver. As I say I'll just have to wait for letter to see his reasons for refusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

I dont know reason for refusal yet. He has granted 9mm s/a but refused .357 revolver. As I say I'll just have to wait for letter to see his reasons for refusing.

You got a 9mm first time application granted:confused:

• Advertisement

No it was a renewal. I was one of the 168 cases before the high coutt last year. Both applications were kicked back to the gardai to be reconsidered. I have to wait and see refusal letter, but I fear that it will be back through the courts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Plus ca change......:eek:

Got my grant letter for the 9mm yesterday, happy days. Nothing on the revolver though. Rang my solicitor and was told that the Chief had written to them and informed them that the cert was refused as "i did not have good or sufficient reason to possess the firearm." No more no less. Obviously the Gardai have learned nothing from the experiences of the past. It is so frustrating. After I met with the Chief to discuss my applications with him he sent out the crime prevention officer to inspect my security. As per the secure storage S.I. I required a monitored house alarm with gsm back up as I would have 3 restricted firearms ( the 2 being applied for and an existing .22 mosquito). The Chief wrote to my solicitor stating that my security was not upto scratch but that he intended to issue certs when security issues were addressed. I spent €1100 upgrading the alarm. Then the chief refuses to grant one of the certs. He obviously knew after our meeting that he was not going to issue the cert for the revolver, so why put me through the expense of upgrading the alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

how is the 22 mosquito restricted?did you not limit the mags or something?

I didnt bother limiting mags as when I applied for the licence it wasnt on the "unrestricted list" so the chief at the time insisted that I required a restricted licence, and then went on to put a condition on the licence that I cant looad more than 5 rounds at any one time. There was no point arguing the toss at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I didnt bother limiting mags as when I applied for the licence it wasnt on the "unrestricted list" so the chief at the time insisted that I required a restricted licence, and then went on to put a condition on the licence that I cant looad more than 5 rounds at any one time. There was no point arguing the toss at the time

For the second time in 3 years I also got refused for the RENEWAL of a sig 9mm and sig .22 mosquito albeit the CS did'nt bother to have the manners to refuse me in writing after a similar meeting. He then sent me out a restricted grant notice for the mosquito with the same condition making it unrestricted. I sent it back to him and the appeal in Limerick for both is on May 9th. It seems nothing had been learned!!!

Best of luck in court. Hopefully common sense will prevail and you'll be successful in court

Tried to open this in the post - no joy...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

Why do you even need a gun? The police don't even have guns for protection

Doublelime wrote: »
    Why do you even need a gun? The police don't even have guns for protection

Dunno about that, 3,000 Gardai would disagree with you as they have a Firearm Cards to carry in Ireland but that's not really why I replied.....

Owning a firearm in Ireland is a privilege afforded by the State for the purposes of sport, hunting, vermin control etc. Firearms are not licensed in this country for the purposes of protection. There are over 250,000 guns (LEGALLY HELD) in this Country. For a lot of us it's our Sport that we enjoy, it's even an Olympic Sport.

The question you were asking is posted on the Sports tab in Boards, does that kinda give a hint what were at?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This is the shooting forum for the discussion of matters concerning firearms used in sporting purposes. Read the charter.

No discussion is permitted about firearms for personal defence. If you want to discuss firearm use by An Gardaí go to the Emergency services or Legal forum.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

The firearm that I sought to licence is a sporting firearm. You can not possess a firearm in Ireland for self defence irrespective of what category firearm it is (rifle, shotgun, pistol, cannon etc). My reason for having the firearm is to take part in a recognised sport. Simple az that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Are you serious?
    With a statement like that, you are very, very naive.

Hint: do a Google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

knockon wrote: »
    Dunno about that, 3,000 Gardai would disagree with you as they have a Firearm Cards to carry in Ireland but that's not really why I replied.....

As well as how many of them are private liscensed gun owners,having to endure the same BS as the rest of us in having their liscenses refused/granted on a seemingly random and arbitary basis.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    As well as how many of them are private liscensed gun owners,having to endure the same BS as the rest of us in having their liscenses refused/granted on a seemingly random and arbitary basis.:(

Quite a few.

• Advertisement

bravestar wrote: »
    Quite a few.

Ha tell me about it

Advertisement