Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead baiting how long to wait

Options
  • 23-03-2013 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Gonna go dead baiting tomoro. It's been a while but I just wondering how long do you lads wait till you strike
    When my alarm goes off and line goes out I usually wait till it stops moving and when it goes again I strike 5 seconds after and have at times lost the pike
    Any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Gonna go dead baiting tomoro. It's been a while but I just wondering how long do you lads wait till you strike
    When my alarm goes off and line goes out I usually wait till it stops moving and when it goes again I strike 5 seconds after and have at times lost the pike
    Any advice

I'd wait a few days till the rivers and lakes go back from the fields:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I always strike immediately, not point waiting, any decent pike will have the hooks in its mouth so why wait? You'll lose a few jacks doing it this way, but better than the Pike dropping the bait or getting deep hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Strike early.

You'll always lose the odd one or two, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I would have thought that as the pike runs he has the fish at right angle to his own body. When he stops he then turns the bait to swallow head first. So yep the 5 second rule is not a bad one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Try using barbless to avoid possible complications unhooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Planet X wrote: »
    Try using barbless to avoid possible complications unhooking.

Good advice.

Barbless is the way to go. Unhooking from the fish / landing net / brambles / clothes / fingers is much easier this way :D
    There are plenty of ways to secure baits without the barb.

Dodder,

It's been a long while since I dead-baited, but I always used to strike early. I'd wind down to the fish as the line was moving out and lift into it. Would bump or pull out of the odd fish, but I can only remember a couple of fish that were badly deep hooked.

Be careful with the high water. The banks can be dangerous after flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Wind from the West, fish bite the best.
    Wind from the East, fish bite the least.
    Wind from the North, do not go forth.
    Wind from the South blows bait in their mouth.

Couple that with the state of the rivers and lakes and you r much better off on the old laptoparooney.......

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I may be slightly off topic her but, watched a few vids on you tube recently, search for totally awesome fishing, anyway, he was dead baiting for pike and had a hook type that I've not seen before! It was a 6/0 barbless with a 3/0 barbed on the shaft that he use to put into the dead bait with a single 6/0 jig head through the jaw of the bait! Question is, does anyone know where I'd possibly find the said 6/0-3/0 double??
    Again sorry if I'm off topic on this, redirection will not be held in offence!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Well OP any Pike today? Where did you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bizzum wrote: »
    Well OP any Pike today? Where did you go?
    I went up to blessington tooverowand I only had to look out onto the lake for a answer
    To rough for my liking
    So I just went down to the dodder
    Not much better there either
    Hands were froze
    I'm gonna assume that the suck is well flooded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

suck in ballyforan is actually not too bad. its in flood alright, but its only just breaking the banks. Ive fished it in worse conditions before and caught fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

dvae wrote: »
    suck in ballyforan is actually not too bad. its in flood alright, but its only just breaking the banks. Ive fished it in worse conditions before and caught fish.
    Cheers for that mate
    Might head down in next week or so
    Is it ok for dead baiting and spinning
    Gettin a new jiggin rod during week and gonna be looking to try it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Suckfisher

dvae wrote: »

Was in galway Paddys weekend and the suck was really low good summer levels almost.
    Was in bits from the drink so didnt get to wet a line then poxy heavy rain.:mad:

Advertisement