Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Scope Rings?

Options
  • 23-03-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on changing my scope asap but the new one will have a 30mm tube so my current 1" rings won't do.

My regular dealer doesn't carry 30mm mounts in stock so will have to order them but he's not sure of the height needed to accomodate the 56mm bell on the Sidewinder that I'm most likely going to buy.

I have Burris bases that I'd like to keep. Not sure what they're called but they're the ones that the rings twist into at the front with the screw tightening / windage at the back one.

I want to get the best rings I can so I'm wondering firstly, what makes are recommended and also for 56mm objective scope users, what height will be required to make it work on my Rem. 700 SPS? Also, I like my scope mounted as low as possible with minimal space between the bottom of the bell and the top of the barrel.

And finally, does any dealer within reasonable distance of Dublin have a good range that I can look at before buying so I'm not ordering blind off the net? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

E-Bay???

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Robotack wrote: »

And finally, does any dealer within reasonable distance of Dublin have a good range that I can look at before buying so I'm not ordering blind off the net? Thanks!

Cheers Clive, I already thought of that but as per OP I want to try them first to make sure I can get my scope as low as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Robotack wrote: »
    ......... what makes are recommended........
    Depends on budget. You can go for anything from Sportsmatch to Nightforce (€35 - €150). Others makes are between in prices such as Warne, Burris, Ken Farrell, etc.
    and also for 56mm objective scope users, what height will be required to make it work on my Rem. 700 SPS?
    Depends on the ring manufacturer and how they measure their rings. IOW is it from the base of the ring to the bottom of the scope tube or from the base to the centre of the scope tube. So A or B in the picture below.

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=13786

Once you figure out how they do it they you can order as appropriate.

The last thing you need to do is measure the height required. Usually what i do is;
    • Take the diameter of the objective lense, say 56mm.
    • Add 3mm for the width of the housing and 3mm for the minimum height off the barrel.
    • That gives 62mm.
    • Split that which gives our height from the barrel to the centre lineof the scope tube. So 31mm.
    • Now measure the height of the rail.
    • Say its 7mm.
    • Take the 7mm from the 31 mm leaving you with 24mm and that's the height of the rings you need. (24mm = 1" (actually a tad less as 25.4mm = 1")
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

I used to have a 56 mm S&B on a Remington sps with those rings. From memory the 30mm high mounts left the objective almost touching the barrel so perfect. Hope that helps.

Advertisement