Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rubbish bin collected? No? Fine then.

• 23-03-2013 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Having worn out all other means of extracting cash(o.k, not all, not even many, but some) our good leaders are now introducing a new whizz that Households who do not have an agreement with a licenced waste collection service(i.e a bin company) are to be fined. €75 snots on the spot, to be precise, with failure to pay that leading to a court appearance and a potential €1700.00 fine.

So Ah, heading out at dusk to burn the papers? Scattering your weekly waste amongst the neighbours bins? Digging small holes in the local park and burying it? Them days are numbered. So, you need a compulsory T.V licence, you pay household Tax(or you will soon), you pay VAT on everything, you pay your taxes. You'll soon be paying for water. You pay for ESB, Gas, car tax, compulsory car insurance, expensive fuel for your house and vehicle. Your septic tank charges. And now you sign up to compulsory bin collection.

I for one am beginning to think I might just give Endas account number for my wages to be paid into. It would save a lot of messing. What think ye?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Start your own waste collection business.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If true I don't think this is a bad idea. I do a lot of hiking in the mountains, and they are covered in illegally dumped rubbish. Some people are too mean to pay a few quid to get their rubbish taken away, but they have no problem paying for the petrol to go dump their c**p into a bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Do you have a link to this.

I used utilise the municipal bring centres previously for all my waste managment needs. Cant believe they would enforce people to sign up to something that they dont need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

What do you mean by signing up for a collection service? What about buying bin tags or bin bags? Is that not the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

dirtyden wrote: »

I used utilise the municipal bring centres previously for all my waste managment needs. Cant believe they would enforce people to sign up to something that they dont need.
    Better still, a brown bin will be compulsory and take first precedence. Second then is a recycling bin, if you have space. Third comes the "normal" bin. If you only have room for one bin, it has to be a brown one. Room for two? Brown and recycling. No room for three? Take your own rubbish to a municipal center and pay and get a receipt. Twas in todays Indo and I don't do links, due to being handycapable in the computers department.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dirtyden wrote: »

This.
    We already recycle a great deal, leave packaging at source and compost other stuff. Occasionally we use the bring centre and pay by the bag. I have no intention of being fleeced any more by the likes of Greyhound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Considering the amount of rubbish that my dad has gathered from his land and disposed of in his own bin then this is a good thing. I cannot stick the sight of black rubbish bags burst open along the country roads.

However, maybe a better way of approaching it would be to change every household €100 per year and then supply a weekly/fortnightly collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

i buy prepaid bags for 6-50

wtf?

Jogathon wrote: »
    Considering the amount of rubbish that my dad has gathered from his land and disposed of in his own bin then this is a good thing. I cannot stick the sight of black rubbish bags burst open along the country roads.

However, maybe a better way of approaching it would be to change every household €100 per year and then supply a weekly/fortnightly collection.
    sort of like a "household charge"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Link?

In Galway City (and presumably other places) you can buy bags that include a collection fee so you don't need a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Thats shocking OP, imagine.....having to pay for a service.If this continues you wont get anything for free!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Maybe bin collection should be included in the property tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I burn everything , you name it "El Flame" cremates it.
    Today I burnt all household waste , a neighbours cat , two Fine Gael canvassers (who woulda thought shite burns ?) and a TV licence inspector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I thought the thread title was the OP sarcastically saying he wasn't fine with his rubbish not being collected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

We burn our rubbish. Enda and his like can go fuck off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So they miss sell the collection rights to private companies that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and now decide to screw over joe public again,greedy ****ers. Mark my words the Glimmer-man or the window tax will be the next thing to return

Mr. Wong wrote: »
    You realise that's illegal, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

According to the telle all those rubbish companies are run by the mob. Maybe they had Enda hanging by his feet off Dublin castle until he changed the law in their favour.

hmmm wrote: »
    If true I don't think this is a bad idea. I do a lot of hiking in the mountains, and they are covered in illegally dumped rubbish. Some people are too mean to pay a few quid to get their rubbish taken away, but they have no problem paying for the petrol to go dump their c**p into a bog.
    Err, no. The same ones who dump now will still dump and chance avoiding/not paying the fine. It's the reponsible ones who will comply, same as for every other charge. If you're a dodger, you'll keep dodging. I do agree with you btw and have had plenty of rubbish dumped on my land that I have had to pay to have removed. Personally, I have the 3 bins and also a skip here permanently(for work rubbish). Thing is, this will just be a revenue collecting scheme. €75 spot fines going out like confetti.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Yes.

• Advertisement

that is just so wong. Think of the baby penguins. And for Anyones benefit, I do pay for my waste collection. I'm a good boy, I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

ScumLord wrote: »
    According to the telle all those rubbish companies are run by the mob. Maybe they had Enda hanging by his feet off Dublin castle until he changed the law in their favour.

Whats a matta you, it's Waste Management, not rubbish companies, why I oughta...

Yes.

Criminal and proud. Terrible.

Shocking altogether Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

This is laughable. I burn any food waste in my fireplace. Recycle all bottles and cans and then anything else is bagged and once every few weeks I fill the boot of the Scenic and bring it to the waste management depot.... Nothing illegal, just frugal and now they wanna penalise me... Bring it on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Yous pay for rubbish collection? Looks smugly across the boarder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Dwork wrote: »
    Better still, a brown bin will be compulsory and take first precedence. Second then is a recycling bin, if you have space. Third comes the "normal" bin. If you only have room for one bin, it has to be a brown one. Room for two? Brown and recycling. No room for three? Take your own rubbish to a municipal center and pay and get a receipt. Twas in todays Indo and I don't do links, due to being handycapable in the computers department.

Here you go. It seems its Dublin City Council are the ones to introduce the by-laws.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/homeowner-warning-over-bins-29149021.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

The article only mentions Dublin.

It wont be long until the rest of country has to sign up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not too keen on the idea to be fair. It strikes me as being pure protectionism aimed towards the refuse companies. No service should be compulsory to opt into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Yes.

I'm trying to work something in here

His wife does it too you know, thats the problem they both re-enforce each others attitudes, unfortunately 2 wongs don't make it right .

:o

Back on topic:we need a link to the original story to see if you can just get receipts from waste providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

sheesh wrote: »
    I'm trying to work something in here

His wife does it too you know, thats the problem they both re-enforce each others attitudes, unfortunately 2 wongs don't make it right .

:o

Back on topic:we need a link to the original story to see if you can just get receipts from waste providers.

Post 28 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you compost and feed scraps to the dog and don't need a brown bin does that nean you can't have a green or black bin?

sheesh wrote: »
    unfortunately 2 wongs don't make it right .
    that is just so wong.

I'm claiming rights to this joke.

Ye both owe me royalties.

It would be wong to refuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

hamsterboy wrote: »
    This is laughable. I burn any food waste in my fireplace. Recycle all bottles and cans and then anything else is bagged and once every few weeks I fill the boot of the Scenic and bring it to the waste management depot.... Nothing illegal, just frugal and now they wanna penalise me... Bring it on!
    Same, with composting. I live alone so generate very little rubbish. I also don't have a tv. Looks like I'm going to be paying for two services I don't use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

kneemos wrote: »

If you compost and feed scraps to the dog and don't need a brown bin does that nean you can't have a green or black bin?

Have you got a license for that dog?

• Advertisement

Jazzmaster wrote: »
    Have you got a license for that dog?

A license to kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lmao.. they can go and shite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Jogathon wrote: »
    delw wrote: »
    Maybe bin collection should be included in the property tax

you mean like when we used pay taxes which were passed onto the council to collect refuse back in the good ole 90's?

i remember they used also cut common green areas....those were the days services by government in exchange for taxes and payments....
    So they miss sell the collection rights to private companies that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and now decide to screw over joe public again,greedy ****ers. Mark my words the Glimmer-man or the window tax will be the next thing to return

This is pretty much it,

its a case of

you pay us money to collect your waste...
    we sell your account to a private company
    they charge you to collect your waste,
    we fine you if you don't use them...

seems legit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

hmmm wrote: »

And that has what exactly to do with the people that have never illegally dumped rubbish and do not require to have it collected on a weekly basis?

Let's be realistic here... the people most likely to dump their rubbish with no regard for law or the environment are the ones most likely to be unaffected by the introduction of any new tax or ultimatum like this. You'd need to be deluded to think an initiative like this will cut down on illegal waste, or even if that's the purpose for its introduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I wonder which one of Enda's friends has money invested in waste collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am so sick of being told what to do.

I got a letter in the middle of last year from my Co Leitrim bin collection company. I purchase tags as and when needed rather than pay a yearly charge. Anyhoo, the letter stated that it was a compulsory government requirement (or words to that effect) that I sign the form they enclosed stating they were my bin collectors.

I had a feeling it was a ploy to get more info for the HHC database so I never sent the letter back.

Before christmas they wrote to me again stating it was now illegal to dispose of organic waste in the black bin. I would now need brown bin and this collection would be free of charge. It also had a form to fill out requesting the bin and I would have to forward €10 for the bin. I forgot to about replying to that too. Haven't seen any neighbours with a brown bin out either.

Nobody wants a brown bin cos they're disgusting,smelly and unhygenic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

But I don't want it in the bown bin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Having worn out all other means of extracting cash(o.k, not all, not even many, but some) our good leaders are now introducing a new whizz that Households who do not have an agreement with a licenced waste collection service(i.e a bin company) are to be fined. €75 snots on the spot, to be precise, with failure to pay that leading to a court appearance and a potential €1700.00 fine.

So Ah, heading out at dusk to burn the papers? Scattering your weekly waste amongst the neighbours bins? Digging small holes in the local park and burying it? Them days are numbered. So, you need a compulsory T.V licence, you pay household Tax(or you will soon), you pay VAT on everything, you pay your taxes. You'll soon be paying for water. You pay for ESB, Gas, car tax, compulsory car insurance, expensive fuel for your house and vehicle. Your septic tank charges. And now you sign up to compulsory bin collection.

I for one am beginning to think I might just give Endas account number for my wages to be paid into. It would save a lot of messing. What think ye?

I just fly tip.
    I call it a dirty protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

kneemos wrote: »
    Nobody wants a brown bin cos they're disgusting,smelly and unhygenic.

You can get biodegradable bags so your bin doesn't end up smelling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hoodwinked wrote: »
    you mean like when we used pay taxes which were passed onto the council to collect refuse back in the good ole 90's?

i remember they used also cut common green areas....those were the days services by government in exchange for taxes and payments....
    I know, a crazy notion altogether.
    its a case of

you pay us money to collect your waste...
    we sell your account to a private company
    they charge you to collect your waste,
    we fine you if you don't use them...

seems legit :rolleyes:
    +1000 it's bloody unbelievable. :mad::mad:
    I tell you on a near daily basis I'm more and more despairing of this fcuking country and the utter dribbling morons who "run" it. I really am.

Sure nowhere is perfect, nor even close to same, but by god the sheer length of the list of utter blind stupidity that has been seen in this nations government, national and local over the last 20 years takes some bloody beating. It really does.

If you're doing OK here, enough to insulate yourself from the guff then my hat's off to you. It really is and long may it continue for you and yours, but be sure that they will take more and more liberties as times goes on. We're not even within sniffing distance of being out of these woods(that they're in the process of selling too).

Having lived through the 80's watching a goodly chunk of my final school year leave this nation with a lot of mixed emotions, today I'd have a very different view. If you're young enough with marketable skills internationally and this shíte buildup is beginning to get to you and you can see a time when it's just too bloody much then I'd advise you get out while you can. Build a life elsewhere. You can always come back on visits where you'll shed a nostalgic tear, but secretly thank your lucky bloody stars you left when you did. I honestly never thought I'd say this. I was one of those who stayed and tried to make a life for myself here, but after watching the implosion of gombeen headed gobshítes "in charge" of this great nation over the last decade or so, if I was 27 again...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Wibbs wrote: »
    I honestly never thought I'd say this. I was one of those who stayed and tried to make a life for myself here, but after watching the implosion of gombeen headed gobshítes "in charge" of this great nation over the last decade or so, if I was 27 again...

its funny you should say that at 18 if you asked me to leave ireland for two weeks i would have died of homesickness...

i never EVER thought i'd be the one saying "im counting down the weeks until myself my husband and my daughter get out of here..."

anywhere is better than here we are currently trying to find the best place for us.

this is just one in a long list of their ways of stopping people like us making something of ourselves by taking every extra cent we earn for basic services.

sometimes i wonder do they want irish people living in their own filth again?

although then they would probably guise it as an environmental tax to cover the damage to the atmosphere the stink off us is causing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Refuse collection was privatised. The government should have no say in it any more... unless they want to go back to lifting rubbish again... maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

hoodwinked wrote: »
    its funny you should say that at 18 if you asked me to leave ireland for two weeks i would have died of homesickness...

i never EVER thought i'd be the one saying "im counting down the weeks until myself my husband and my daughter get out of here..."

anywhere is better than here we are currently trying to find the best place for us.

this is just one in a long list of their ways of stopping people like us making something of ourselves by taking every extra cent we earn for basic services.

sometimes i wonder do they want irish people living in their own filth again?

although then they would probably guise it as an environmental tax to cover the damage to the atmosphere the stink off us is causing...

If you are going away because of taxes and charges for services this will only make sense if the "anywhere" has fewer and less expensive ones than here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement