Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average yearly cost for newborn baby

Options
  • 23-03-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi just budgeting for our baby to be and was wondering if anyone has a rough estimate of the average cost of providing for a child for the first year, all things considered from cots right down to nappies.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are you including childcare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

It depends on a lot of factors, will you be buying all brand new & top of the range or maybe getting loans from family etc. For example for a high chair you could pay anywhere between €20 - 300.
    Breastfeeding means no food costs at all for the first 6 months, considerably less going forward as no need for formula. Then baby led weaning or making your own baby puree's (even organic, free range veg and meats etc.) will be much cheaper than buying pre-packed/processed baby foods. Reusable cloth nappies have a bigger outlay of cash to begin with but buying a good set can see you through to toilet training and also do for future children, whereas disposable nappies are a continual cost and can be very expensive buying the likes of pampers outside of the special offers, many supermarkets do their own brands which are quite good. Childcare is also a big factor.

The one thing I would invest in is a really good rear facing car seat, (you can buy some that do from birth to age 4) and a sling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

It will come back to what other posters have said already, it varies largely. I would suggest you make a list of what you want to get new, second hand, borrowed. Then for most things, you will have a very wide range of prices.
    If you decide for Breastfeeding/formula and cloth/disposable nappies is going to be your main variable. For the rest, you can actually chose according to your budget.
    I lost my job when I was pregnant so for us it was a matter of getting everything as economical as possible, here are approx costs for us:
    Second hand cotbed €10 (I know very cheap, the person was emigrating so was on a hurry!)
    Monitor €20
    Pram travel system €140 new
    Cloth nappy set €250, disposable nappies for outings less than €10/mth
    No formula
    Clothes mainly free
    Bottles, breast pump, etc. €80
    Moses basket second hand €20
    Blankets €30
    Sling €25
    Toys mainly given
    Travel cot €80
    Stair gates €80
    Sippy cups, plastic dishes, etc. €20
    Highchair €30
    Bouncer chair €10
    Activity mat €5

Im sure im forgetting many things, but gives you a starting point maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

You should also budget a little extra for your utility bills as you will be probably using extra heating (depending on when baby is due) and will be using the washing machine a lot more.

As others have said if you are on a budget then go second hand as much as you can. Just make sure you buy a brand new car seat and new mattress for Moses basket / crib (second hand not recommended for safety reasons).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I think the cost can vary greatly between families. We didn't spend too much got a lot of things 2nd hand and handed down from my sister. I breastfeed so there was no formula to buy. I bought 2x breastflow bottles and a travel microwave steriliser didn't cost much. The last poster made a good point to look at your utilities going up.
    It really does depend I know a girl who just had a baby and she refused anything 2nd hand or handed down from family. They spent 1000s which I just find crazy but each to their own :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How long is a piece of string?
    We spent much less than we expected. We borrowed everything except carseat and monitor. Clothes, cots, weaning spoons, steriliser... Borrow Everything. Ask your friends and family what they don't need, or price them if you want to buy new. Carseat for us was 140 euro, monitor was 110, cot matress was 60. That was our initial outlay.

Childcare is expensive. Mine is 550 a month part time.

Nappies, here my obsessive spreadsheet of spending tracking comes in useful. :) We averaged a box of 80 -72 nappies every 11.5 days for the first year. Those big boxes come in on special offer between 10 and 15 euro. Total spend on nappies year one for us was just under 400 euro.

We went to formula after bfeeding. Formula was ~10 euro per tub, averaged one tub every 9 days.

Shoes are pricey... But she was walking 2 months before we got her some. She was 14 months for first shoes (50 euro).

Babies are as expensive as you want to make them. You don't need most of the stuff marketed at parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    I think the cost can vary greatly between families. We didn't spend too much got a lot of things 2nd hand and handed down from my sister. I breastfeed so there was no formula to buy. I bought 2x breastflow bottles and a travel microwave steriliser didn't cost much. The last poster made a good point to look at your utilities going up.
    It really does depend I know a girl who just had a baby and she refused anything 2nd hand or handed down from family. They spent 1000s which I just find crazy but each to their own :)

I think that's crazy too, and so environmentally unfriendly. The amount of baby gear in landfill is silly. Everyone buying the same thing over and over again instead of sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I breastfed (still do), so no formula costs. Now I do baby led weaning, so she eats what we eat. Do spend a good bit more on fruit though. I bought cloth nappies, but never used them (regret it now), but was a bit overwhelmed at the amount the baby fed at the beginning, so barely did washing as it was. I sold them on for what I spent - €100 for a full new set on Ebay - set that normally costs €300. I've always used whatever disposable nappies were on offer, stick mostly to lidl nowadays though.

Got a bouncer, activity centre, mat, blankets travel system & moses basket all as gifts and nearly all lof her clothes - all I've really bought so far are vests, socks, tights, sleeping bags & her birthday & christmas clothes (she's 17 months). Shoes are probably the most expensive thing - she's been walking since before 11 months & is on her 4th size now. I planning on buying subsequent sizes online from here on in, too expensive in the shops unless there's a sale on.

Got loans of a highchair, stair gates & a cot, so just bought a new mattress for €60. Got my breastpump when it was on special in Tesco for €25 (a nice boards user bought it & posted it to me!) We got some money as gifts, so bought a new sling out of the money (have subsequently bought 3 more secondhand - slightly addicted).

Definitely expect to spend more on heating & washing. We go through oil so much quicker nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

There's really no definitive answer. I BF for six months with some formula but I haven't a clue what we spent. After three months we switched from disposable to cloth nappies which was a big outlay initially but is saving us a lot now. We borrowed a few items from family. We got a lot of clothes as gifts, but many went unworn as they just weren't practical for newborns. We bought a good pram/buggy which was worth it.

The biggest outlay was taking unpaid leave which meant I'm not back to work until baby is 11 months. When we weighed it up against childcare costs and the fact I'll be able to get some tax back from when I'm not working it hasn't cost us too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Absolutely as everyone has already said, it varies, i bought everything new except highchair, i got this from my sister. So moses basket was 100 euro, cot 300 plus mattress, i bought all the bedding new, and keep adding to this as babs is getting bigger, i didnt breastfeed so formula averages out at 11 euro a tin, baby is now diagnosed as lactose intolerant so formula is 8 euro a tin, half the size of the regular formula we used, got lots of gifts of clothes, but still had to buy some, as people tend to buy for 6 months plus, bought a good buggy and carseat, but its only a group 0 so have to invest in next stage up in a few months, and as for childcare it is 600 a month.

I wouldnt get a second hand carseat though so you might want to invest in that, and if you get a cot second hand you will have to buy a new mattress. Babies get sick alot especially when they start creche so have been at the doctor bout 4 times in past 2 months. How long is a piece of string basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Actually never thought of that lazygal - I also took 3 months unpaid leave, so like you, that was probably the most expensive thing of all. Wish I had taken 4 months though, hated going back knowing I could have had another month off with the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Just checked my credit card there and I have spent €1,100 in Mothercare alone in last 8 months.

Big Costs:
    Buggy and Car Seat: €1,100 (this is daft money for bugaboo and maxicosi but girlfriend wanted them)
    Buggy leg warmer: €110
    Moses Basket: €90
    Cot, matress: €190
    Various baby clothes: €200+
    Bottles, teeth: €50
    High chair: €120
    Bouncer: €30
    Mattress sensor with sound monitor: €110
    Mama and Papas seat: €59

Baby food, nappies, nappy bags, wipes, baby vitamins, infacol, blankets, toys etc etc.

It all adds up.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Your biggest outlay is going to be your drop in income while you are on leave. Check if you get statutory benefit only (max of €262 per week for 26 weeks, zero for the additional unpaid 16 weeks leave) If your employer tops this up, then great! if not, start saving.

I never thought I'd take the additional 4 months, but then when the time came, we felt I needed to - and I'm glad, as he will go to creche crawling, used to solids, and wont need breast milk during the day. It stretched us financially but it was worth it. Put it this way, budget for it anyway, and if you do go back to work after the six months, then you have a little nest egg for emergencies, or for a nice family holiday down the line.

Next big expenses would be the car seat which you should ideally get new, but furniture /travel systems /and other assorted baby equipment, you could be very savvy and get pristine second hand items, or borrow from friends or relatives, or request as specific gifts from family, saving you an absolute fortune. I wish I did more research on the pram/buggy as I realise now that I should have opted for one that has the capability to convert to a double, if you do want the travel system with the carry-cot option, the Mothercare Orb does away with the separate seat/carrycot, the carrycot converts into a buggy seat which is genius. I got buggy envy when a friend showed me hers.

Chlidproofing your house might cost a bit too.

We got the car seat and base new. Now I'm going back to work and we'll be sharing the pick-up and drops at creche, so my car needs a car seat and base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

You should factor in the cost of formula from the start. It's all well and good to plan on breastfeeding but it doesn't always work out.
    Second what Rose35 said, we've been to the gp about four times in ten months at an average of 40 euro a time.

My buggy is like the Orb in that the carrycot converts too which I found good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Just checked my credit card there and I have spent €1,100 in Mothercare alone in last 8 months.

Big Costs:
    Buggy and Car Seat: €1,100 (this is daft money for bugaboo and maxicosi but girlfriend wanted them)
    Buggy leg warmer: €110
    Moses Basket: €90
    Cot, matress: €190
    Various baby clothes: €200+
    Bottles, teeth: €50
    High chair: €120
    Bouncer: €30
    Mattress sensor with sound monitor: €110
    Mama and Papas seat: €59

It all adds up.

JEEEEEEEEEESUS:eek:

I bought stuff new - cot, buggy and carseat, but it came to under €1000 and as I now have two and plan on more, I consider it justifiable. I deliberately didn't get a travel cot as I knew my family would prefer to be told what to buy the baby. You only need a few vests and sleepsuits as people are extraordinarily generous and the majority of visitors bring clothes. I've only had to start buying clothes for my wee man now and he's nearly three.

I use disposable nappies and NEVER pay full price for them. When nappies are on offer during child benefit week, they're often half price.

Your utility bills will go up - the heat and washing machine will definitely be on longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

JEEEEEEEEEESUS:eek:

I bought stuff new - cot, buggy and carseat, but it came to under €1000 and as I now have two and plan on more, I consider it justifiable. I deliberately didn't get a travel cot as I knew my family would prefer to be told what to buy the baby. You only need a few vests and sleepsuits as people are extraordinarily generous and the majority of visitors bring clothes. I've only had to start buying clothes for my wee man now and he's nearly three.

I use disposable nappies and NEVER pay full price for them. When nappies are on offer during child benefit week, they're often half price.

Your utility bills will go up - the heat and washing machine will definitely be on longer.

Thinking about it now - I would have spent twice what aristotle has spent in last 8 months, and on the clothes thing - yes people are very generous with their gifts, but I cant remember anyone buying me vests and babygros, essentials for first 3 months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

And you will have way more rubbish so bins\refuse costs will go up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

This is the thing, a few people bought mine clothes as gifts but they weren't always practical or season/age appropriate. Not trying to sound ungrateful but it's a fact. I wouldn't be relying on gifts. I got some sleepsuits alright, but mostly I bought them myself. I never had to buy a blanket though, got loads of nice blankets :)
    Here's an idea what I spent on clothes myself, in Dunnes a pack of 3 sleep suits is 10 euro, a pack of 7 vest is also 10 euro.
    Heatons/Pennys might be cheaper but I bought mostly dunnes. They worked for me.
    Anyways so 0-3 months , 3 packs of sleep suits (30 euro) 2 packs of vests (20 euro)
    Same again for 3-6 months, I think then it went to 6-12 months but I had to move up to 12-18 when she was 9 months as she's long.
    So by the time she's one I will have spent about 200 on her just ordinary clothes. That doesn't include her coats (which she DID get as gifts :D) or cardigans or the like. Some of her dresses or outfits were also gifts but she's a sleep suit kinda girl :)
    I probably could've just had two packets of sleep suits (six) and one packet of vests (seven) but I don't spend much on myself , would rather dress the baby :)
    Others would spend less and be more organised. Different brands work for different people. I went to great effort to buy an official gro bag on special offer but the ones I got in good ole Dunnes again worked better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I saw this blog post yesterday and thought of this thread!

I found myself agreeing with most of it, with the exception of a snow suit for baby, I found them great for wearing out and about, especially with a sling to keep baby's legs warm in winter and spring.

I would agree with other posters,that if people ask what to get as gifts, suggest something practical like a contribution towards a larger item, highchair or buggy, footmuff, meal vouchers, a grobag, thermometer, etc. Cute outfits are all well and good but often they only get worn once or twice, if that as baby grows so fast and babygro's are just more practical and comfortable than outfits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Rose35 wrote: »
    Thinking about it now - I would have spent twice what aristotle has spent in last 8 months, and on the clothes thing - yes people are very generous with their gifts, but I cant remember anyone buying me vests and babygros, essentials for first 3 months anyway.
    This is the thing, a few people bought mine clothes as gifts but they weren't always practical or season/age appropriate. Not trying to sound ungrateful but it's a fact. I wouldn't be relying on gifts. I got some sleepsuits alright, but mostly I bought them myself. I never had to buy a blanket though, got loads of nice blankets :)

I must be the queen of bringing stuff back:D With number one, there were some clothes that were never worn and I was determined with this wee woman that that wouldn't happen - I organised everything according to size and anything that I knew wouldn't be worn was returned and exchanged for vests etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Baby is a year old and we have really spent very little. I wasn't working anyway so I didn't lose anything (although it's a bit swings and roundabouts, it's a lot harder looking for work with a young baby!).

We bought a 3-in-1 buggy for the nominal sum of 40 euro (the model on the net costs about 300 euro) from a friend of the family who has finished her family. Cot and playpen were borrowed from family. All his toys were gifts. I breastfed until just over a month ago so that cost nothing (I did find breast pads quite expensive though!).

I bought some clothes but we got a lot of hand-me-downs of babygrows and vests from family, as well as lots of presents.

Nappies, I order them from amazon, they have good offers on the french site with a subscription system, pampers work out cheaper even than the supermarket own-brand.

A lot of things you can get from family or friends.

A piece of advice I took which I truly believe in: Only buy the absolute essentials before the baby is born. You can be sucked in to buying a whole load of stuff (like too many of one nappy type, and then it doesn't suit your baby, or a bottle type that doesn't work right), and then when you actually have the baby you'll realise that some of the stuff you bought doesn't suit you or your baby. After the baby is born, buy as you go along. (I bought a baby monitor, and I think I can count on my left hand how many times I've used it in a year, that was a waste of money in my case).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

dont forget the increase in health insurance (first year is free - up until the next renewal date - we got a whole month out of that :mad:), and doctors' bills (3 ear infections, 1 laryngitis and 1 scarlet fever @ 50 quid a pop plus meds).

we spent a fortune on the travel system :o, but it is so worth it, wouldnt miss it for the world. Got most of the furniture in ikea or on loan from friends, same with activity centers and other toys.

defo shop around for nappies if using disposables, always look for offers. same goes for formula if using.

what went up was electricity in the first few months (winter baby) - heating was on all the time, plus the washing machine and the dryer, steriliser, etc. added about 50 quid or so per month to our bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

To the op,Do what my wife and i did was just do up a rough plan of what you think it will cost you ,(as everyone will have differing cost as to how much it will be) double it and you should be OK,as far as i can see with our baby's is that cost's change week to week you just have to budget as thing's change,it wont be easy but you will do it.cots buggies, car, seat ect are the easyer things to budget for as year round they are always the same price,except if you can buy during sale's or second hand.for day to day expenses try to buy in bulk when there are specials on around children allowance day you would be amaised how much you can save ,we buy enough baby milk for a month or more at a time some time's we save up 4euro a tin ect
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The one thing I would add, you may choose breastfeeding, but it can sometimes go wrong (like with me) then you factor bottles and sterilizer as well as formula, but sterliziers are always going second hand and tesco bottles are as able to hold milk as Avent and Tommy Tippee! I got everything new as my child was the first child on either side of the family, so we weren't lucky with hand-me-downs. But his nana was so generous, she bought the travel system and a fortune of lovely clothes and a good strong highchair, all of which she has scrubbed and are ready for no2 later this year. She also was the one to give me the loan for the cotbed, invest in one that converts to a bed for 3-5 year olds if you can, my guy is 4 and still in it. All excited about it being used for his brother or sister soon though.

As others said, it's as costly as you make it. Invest in some good stuff, like bed, etc, but go second hand of money is tight (get a fresh mattress though!) and if you are going cloth nappy, remember to invest in a good washing powder! :) But most things like blankets and vesties, Penny's and Dunnes, can't go wrong! They are as nice as ANYTHING you'll get in Mama's and Papa's!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I agree with shopping around. Highchairs can be up to €300 or more, yet my €20 Ikea one is so compact, so easy clean, that I'm getting one for each of the grandparents houses and my sister is getting one for her baby too.

You can get the ones that swing and recline and all that but by the time you need it to feed, baby will shortly be sitting up and want to sit on the floor with toys anyway.

All you want is something that has no nooks and crannies that food will get stuck and start to smell, and have detachable straps for washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I must be the queen of bringing stuff back:D With number one, there were some clothes that were never worn and I was determined with this wee woman that that wouldn't happen - I organised everything according to size and anything that I knew wouldn't be worn was returned and exchanged for vests etc.

I didn't do this last time.... I sent nana in with them, Debeham's and Arnott's fear her more than the tax man in general! But yes, I noticed with my son everyone gave 0-3 or 3-6 months, so if they were nice I got her to get bigger sizes, or if they were not to my taste I got something else instead. One woman gave the weirdest white outfit with blue trimmings for 3-6 month olds, I used it as a Christening outfit, I kid you not. 50 year old family Christening blanket, and that, boom, saved on that day too! Woman was beyond thrilled (older country woman) You always have to make every penny stretch! I will do the same again this time, you have to. Though thankfully I kept everything big and a lot of nice clothes. If this is a boy, he will cost me near nothing!!! :D If it's a girl, Tesco's and Penny's are in for a shopping spree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

For cots high chairs, changing tables, towels etc you can't beat IKEA.

For prams etc, avoid Quinny and bugaboo there just overpriced the likes of cassato offer much better value and the extras like leg warmers are included.

For nappies, ALDI do a great range that are comfortable, rash free and do as there designed.

For shoes, clarks in Kildare village are the best value for good kids shoes. Half. The price of Main Street clarks.

Advertisement