Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar woman attacked

Options
  • 23-03-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭

A Castlebar woman, whom most of you already know the name of was assaulted yesterday after her dress making premises was targeted for the 3rd time in the space of a few months by a gang from the town. Now how can a person have their premise ransacked for the third time and this time violently assaulted by the same people, you would think the Gardai would of apprehended them after the first time, mainly due to the fact her husband is a member.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

More here about it
    A 36-year-old boutique owner was recovering at Mayo General Hospital last night from injuries she received when hooded men attacked her at her home in Breaffy, near Castlebar.
    It was the third vicious attack in as many months on Regina Sweeney. It occurred at about 5.15pm today and resulted in Ms Sweeney being taken to hospital with unspecified injuries. It is understood her injuries are not life-threatening.
    Ms Sweeney, who is married to a local detective, is a daughter of the late Liam Coady, who was personal driver to Taoiseach Enda Kenny when he was leader of the opposition.
    She was first attacked and robbed at her home in early December by two men wearing balaclavas.
    Following the December attack, she appeared on The Late Late Show to take part in a panel discussion on the rising wave of rural crime.
    The second attack, also at her home, occurred in early February when she was taunted by her two attackers that she “wasn’t as cocky now as she was on the telly”.
    There is local speculation a criminal gang, possibly with Limerick connections, may be involved in the attacks on Ms Sweeney because of her Garda connections.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'm going to give one warning on this and no more.
    We have had a number of threads on this topic and allegations and posting of details of those allegedly involved. If we have any of this on this the thread will be closed and the posters will be banned.
    Also we have had a few re-regs to get over bans and abusive PM's sent to Mods, again this will result in instant site bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

dreadful ordeal for the poor lady.
    hopefully she will bounce back in time, but i imagine she will need counselling.

i think going on the Late Late was a big mistake on her part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

space_man wrote: »
    dreadful ordeal for the poor lady.
    hopefully she will bounce back in time, but i imagine she will need counselling.

i think going on the Late Late was a big mistake on her part.

I have to disagree there. She is entitled to stand up and call time out.
    The question I'd have to ask is where is the protection for this woman? She goes on live television to highlight a problem with criminal thugs and gets robbed again and then stabbed?!

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Has it been confirmed she was stabbed? I haven't seen that in any of the reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Deleted

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

OP - Links to confirmation that she was stabbed, nothing from what we can see here.
    If you can't give links then please change the text.

StudentDad wrote: »
    I have to disagree there. She is entitled to stand up and call time out.
    The question I'd have to ask is where is the protection for this woman? She goes on live television to highlight a problem with criminal thugs and gets robbed again and then stabbed?!

SD

yes and considering what's subsequently happened to her, do you think it was a wise decision to go on TV?
    has her life improved as a result?
    do you think she'll go on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Well if she did not go on TV......the saying "What happens when good people do nothing" springs to mind. The state has failed her in my opinion.

What is clear is that the there is sub-human scum that need to be taken out in my opinion. These seem to be people that cannot be reasoned or dealt with. Why are they not locked up?

I also see a parish priest in North Galway was tied up and robbed over the weekend. It seems the cut backs in law and order are starting to take effect, coupled with a "soft" approach to crime in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

yes and considering what's subsequently happened to her, do you think it was a wise decision to go on TV?
    has her life improved as a result?
    do you think she'll go on again?

Wise decision or not, its not fair to place any blame on Regina. She had every right to speak out about what happened, its ridiculous that she gets attacked again because she had the guts to stand up and speak out.

What's even worse is the people that judge her on that decision like she deserved another beating.

Its like blaming rape victims for asking for it because of what they wear. Its disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

this woman is a heroine of mine now and i can only say that I hope that the people who did this to her get their just rewards. I for one am furious. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Irish independent are reporting that police are winding down with nobody found. Seams like she made the whole thing up to get attention.

If this is true some of the above posts are looking pretty foolish now.
    She's gone from hero to wasting taxpayers time and money.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-wind-down-probe-into-attacks-29151254.html

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Dudda wrote: »
    Irish independent are reporting that police are winding down with nobody found. Seams like she made the whole thing up to get attention.

If this is true some of the above posts are looking pretty foolish now.
    She's gone from hero to wasting taxpayers time and money.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-wind-down-probe-into-attacks-29151254.html

you are actually disgusting. I hope you never have to go through the fear of a home invasion even once never mind 3 times. The poor woman has security outside her home now she cant enjoy her own home and business anymore. Luckily the ordinary decent people of mayo are appalled by this act and hope those responsible are brought to justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

you are actually disgusting. I hope you never have to go through the fear of a home invasion even once never mind 3 times. The poor woman has security outside her home now she cant enjoy her own home and business anymore. Luckily the ordinary decent people of mayo are appalled by this act and hope those responsible are brought to justice.

it was the reporter saying that it looks like she made it all up., not the poster you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

irishgeo wrote: »
    it was the reporter saying that it looks like she made it all up., not the poster you quoted.

actually i'm talking about the posters words and not the irish independent link

actually i'm talking about the posters words and not the irish independent link

Why on earth would anyone make all that up?
    i cant imagine anyone in their right mind concocting this whole drama.

but is it true that the guards are winding down the investigation? i cannot believe that either. surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Why on earth would anyone make all that up?
    i cant imagine anyone in their right mind concocting this whole drama.

but is it true that the guards are winding down the investigation? i cannot believe that either. surely not?

the mayo news should confirm if it true this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I heard from various people last night also that it was all made up. Maybe this thread should be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Extremely sad story, why she is making it up is beyond me.
    I was always suspicious because the whole thing has been so bizarre.

Hopefully no charges is brought against her and medical services are provided.

I think in the light of the information coming to the fore we will close this thread.

As requested a link to the Mayo News article.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17427:gardai-continue-investigation-into-regina-sweeney-assaults&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Thread remains closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement