Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pagefile.sys Problem

Options
  • 23-03-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

I have a HP Elitebook laptop running windows vista. It has a C and D partition. I have the following problem ....

HP Recovery (D) Low on Disk Space error has appeared over the last few weeks. I do no store any information on the D drive, it only contains recovery system files that were there when I bought the laptop 4 years ago. I've noticed that there is a 2GB pagefile.sys on the D drive even though my laptop is not configured to have a pagefile on this drive (see attachment ). I have a 1GB pagefile saved on my C drive as per my virtual memory settings.

Can I delete the pagefile on my D drive? If not, how do I solve the Low on Disk Space error as all the other files are recovery system files thus cannot be deleted.

Any advice or help much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Slipper1

Virtual memory image attached .... Image didn't upload with previous post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Slipper1 wrote: »
    Can I delete the pagefile on my D drive?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Slipper1

Hi Torqay,

Thanks for your advice. I deleted the pagefile and so far no problems. Any idea how/why it was created in the D drive?

Kind Regards,
    Slipper1

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Also, Download "Windirstat"
    Its a free program and you can use it to scan you hard drive and pinpoint folders with large amounts of data.

Then delete the data if you are positive you don't need it anymore.

As for the mysterious pagefile: have you ever upgraded the Ram on the laptop?

Advertisement