Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We buy cars for cash"

Options
  • 23-03-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Surely illegal advertising?

Seems to be stuck to every traffic light, and any pole at a junction.

Someone reluctant to pay for advertising.

Can they not be removed?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No names on them just a phone number,so hard to prosecute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Dub13 wrote: »
    No names on them just a phone number,so hard to prosecute.

Couldn't DCC just ring them and pretend to have a car for sale and then fine them the €3k for littering when they show up ? Rewinding CCTV might also help identify who is responsible. They are literally all over the city at this stage and an eyesore at loads of lights and junctions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Have you made a complaint to the DCC litter warden?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrab

seen this one too. they are everywhere.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

What did the Litter Warden tell you, when you reported it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

From Council Website:

In accordance with Section 19 of the Litter Pollution Act, 1997 – 2009, the placing of posters/signs/advertisements on poles or other structures in public places is illegal unless written permission has been given by the owner of the pole or structure in advance.

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Bill_Stickers_Is_Innocent.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

They said "Report it to the Litter Hotline - 1800 251 500"

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

What else would you use to buy cars with. Seashells? Horse droppings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

report it to the Transport Department of DCC

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

There is a lot of these "cars for cash" posters all over Dublin. Anyone know whos behind them ? its seems to me there is something very dodgy or illegal going on. Maybe "cars for cash" is code for something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Jumboman wrote: »
    There is a lot of these "cars for cash" posters all over Dublin. Anyone know whos behind them ? its seems to me there is something very dodgy or illegal going on. Maybe "cars for cash" is code for something else.

Car is worth 1000 they offer 300 or less, they buy ****heaps and put them on donedeal for 500, they are buying the cars usually nct failures do a cowboy job on them and cheat someone out of hard earned money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Car is worth 1000 they offer 300 or less, they buy ****heaps and put them on donedeal for 500, they are buying the cars usually nct failures do a cowboy job on them and cheat someone out of hard earned money.

Are they travelers by any chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Sometimes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sometimes.....

Well, motorists anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I have removed posters like this in the past.

I was confronted by one irate huge offender, cheap furniture discount place that used to leave a trail of florescent posters all the way along the road leading to his industrial unit.

I spent one Sat morning cutting the things down - he screeches up, blocks my car and hops out roaring he's calling the guards. I also call the guards and tell them I'm being held by this guy and he won't let me leave.

Guards show up, I show them the law and say I'm picking up litter. He claims he's being victimised by me. Guard isn't happy that I only took his signs and not others. Eventually the Guard puts the signs in the back of his car and tells the two of us to get lost.

So. Advice - yes remove them, try to get other signs at the same time, and be prepared for a confrontation.

The law however is on your side.

RATM wrote: »
    Couldn't DCC just ring them and pretend to have a car for sale and then fine them the €3k for littering when they show up ? Rewinding CCTV might also help identify who is responsible. They are literally all over the city at this stage and an eyesore at loads of lights and junctions.

You haven't had much dealings with DCC have you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

MadsL wrote: »

I was confronted by one irate huge offender, cheap furniture discount place that used to leave a trail of florescent posters all the way along the road leading to his industrial unit.

I spent one Sat morning cutting the things down - he screeches up, blocks my car and hops out roaring he's calling the guards. I also call the guards and tell them I'm being held by this guy and he won't let me leave.

Guards show up, I show them the law and say I'm picking up litter. He claims he's being victimised by me. Guard isn't happy that I only took his signs and not others. Eventually the Guard puts the signs in the back of his car and tells the two of us to get lost.

So. Advice - yes remove them, try to get other signs at the same time, and be prepared for a confrontation.

are you for real?

are you for real?

How so?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

wow, just wow :eek:

• Advertisement

John Mason wrote: »
    wow, just wow :eek:

Picking up litter surprises you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

how is cutting down signs=picking up litter

lol

how is cutting down signs=picking up litter

lol

Because that is how the Litter Act defines them.
    19.—(1) Where any structure or other land, door, gate, window, tree, pole or post is in or is visible from a public place, a person who is not the owner, occupier or person in charge thereof shall not—

(a) exhibit or cause to be exhibited thereon any article or advertisement

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0012/sec0019.html#sec19

If they are defined as an offence under the Litter Act then then are litter...

Problem?

How so?

Don't know where to start tbh, work away if it makes you happy ;)

Don't know where to start tbh, work away if it makes you happy ;)

So you are all "are you for real" then "work away" when I post some facts on it. :D

Would you have reacted the same way if I said I go around picking up plastic bottles as they are litter? What was the "are you for real" reaction all about? Could you at least try to actually articulate what "don't know where to start" means...if you are going to attack me, please have some basis to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Was it a particularly scenic route into the industrial estate? You can't really compare some lad with a legitimate business putting up a few signs to drum up business to what the car lads are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Was it a particularly scenic route into the industrial estate? You can't really compare some lad with a legitimate business putting up a few signs to drum up business to what the car lads are up to.

They are both Illegal and make whatever place they are put, SSSI or not look worse than it would without.

If everyone in the country running a "legitimate business" put up a half-dozen random signs then what would the place look like? Of course that is a ridiculous proposition but why is this guy different to everyone else? Why should he get to do something that we would all be up in arms over if everyone did it?

Mr Whirly wrote: »

We are talking literally a sign on every lamp-post and telegraph pole for a distance of well over a mile and a half. Florescent yellow, put out every weekend when he thought the Litter Warden wouldn't catch him.

I didn't just remove his signs, I took down anything I came across. But his were particularly bad. He's out of business anyway.

So you are all "are you for real" then "work away" when I post some facts on it. :D

Would you have reacted the same way if I said I go around picking up plastic bottles as they are litter? What was the "are you for real" reaction all about? Could you at least try to actually articulate what "don't know where to start" means...if you are going to attack me, please have some basis to do so.

No, I just found your behaviour odd, wasting the guards time and everyone elses. I also think you have too much time on your hands and lastly, it is odd how you only "targeted" one set of signs and not the others

so as I say, carry on if it makes you feel better :)

• Advertisement

No, I just found your behaviour odd, wasting the guards time and everyone elses. I also think you have too much time on your hands and lastly, it is odd how you only "targeted" one set of signs and not the others

so as I say, carry on if it makes you feel better :)

I didn't call the guards until the other chap did. I certainly didn't set out to waste police time.

As for "too much time on my hands" - you think it a waste of time to try and improve the surroundings of the city I lived in for the benefit of those around me. Really? And you are calling me odd? :rolleyes: I guess I should be more Mé Féin in future to fit in..

As for targeting, he was by far the worst that particular morning, I usually removed many other businesses illegal signs on my commute home.

Advertisement