Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We buy cars for cash"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

MadsL wrote: »
    I didn't just remove his signs, I took down anything I came across. But his were particularly bad. He's out of business anyway.

If you took down all signs, how come the guard was annoyed that you had only taken down his signs and not others?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

reprazant wrote: »
    If you took down all signs, how come the guard was annoyed that you had only taken down his signs and not others?

I hadn't got to any other yet that morning. This chap had quite the monopoly that day.

As I said above I usually removed others as well.

What's the issue with picking up litter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I hadn't got to any other yet that morning. This chap had quite the monopoly that day.

As I said above I usually removed others as well.

What's the issue with picking up litter?

It wasnt "picking up litter"...you were cutting down posters..and specific flyers whilst ignoring others.

I should advise a note of caution in your crusade.

chopper6 wrote: »
    It wasnt "picking up litter"...you were cutting down posters..and specific flyers whilst ignoring others.

Illegally erected posters, and I wasn't being selective - I was cleaning up one particular street. Once I finished that I would have got to others. It just happened that at the time the owner blocked me in, alll I had in the car was his posters. I would have regularly dispose of a rake of different businesses posters.
    I should advise a note of caution in your crusade.

Why, would it be acceptable to be assaulted for cleaning up litter?

Why, would it be acceptable to be assaulted for cleaning up litter?

I'm not saying it would be acceptable per se but you're not an authourised litter collector are you? You certainly don't have an official mandate to remove posters,illegal or not.

I'm just saying that some people may regard you as a bit of a busybody that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'm not saying it would be acceptable per se but you're not an authourised litter collector are you? You certainly don't have an official mandate to remove posters,illegal or not.

I'm just saying that some people may regard you as a bit of a busybody that's all.

There's no such thing as an authorised little collector. Anyone can remove litter. The only time you need a licence is for collection and disposal of rubbish .ie. A waste collection company.

Its starting to get a bit personal, can we stop that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

And plenty of other people would be grateful to him for showing a bit of public spirit and standing up to intimidation from litter louts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

MadsL , keep the good work up.

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    There's no such thing as an authorised little collector. Anyone can remove litter. The only time you need a licence is for collection and disposal of rubbish .ie. A waste collection company.

There's a difference between somebody picking up rubbish on the street and somebody pulling down posters and flyers...no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a difference between somebody picking up rubbish on the street and somebody pulling down posters and flyers...no?

If they're illegal there's no difference.

• Advertisement

Legally speaking, no

January wrote: »
    If they're illegal there's no difference.

That might not be seen like that by the person sticking up the flyers...i'm just saying...flyers cost time and money to distribute,dropping a bit of litter doesnt cost some people a thought.

Illegal or not you need to be careful when you're pulling stuff down that other(maybe less genteel) people have stuck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

And plenty of other people would be grateful to him for showing a bit of public spirit and standing up to intimidation from litter louts.

Me for one. There are a couple of roads near me that get similarly festooned with flourescent posters every weekend. Time I went for a walk and cleaned up a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

No, I just found your behaviour odd, wasting the guards time and everyone elses. I also think you have too much time on your hands and lastly, it is odd how you only "targeted" one set of signs and not the others

so as I say, carry on if it makes you feel better :)

That's very condescending.
    If someone goes out of their way to clean up their local environment, I say fair play to them.
    He done something proactive and well within the law.

Wow, you should complain about all the tidy towns volunteers as well.
    All those busy bodies who are picking up other peoples rubbish, cleaning communal areas which the council don't do with enough frequency etc.

Also removing those "we buy cars for cash" could save someone from being scammed / injured by a car unfit to be on the road.

Also removing those "we buy cars for cash" could save someone from being scammed / injured by a car unfit to be on the road.

So you'd be saving gullible people from getting burned in a cash transaction?

Maybe pull down election posters too to save peopel voting for politicians who will ruin thier lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Maybe pull down election posters too to save peopel voting for politicians who will ruin thier lives.

Political posters have permission to be put up, and are part of the democratic process to advertise candidates.

Some sheepskin wearing chancer trying to sell poor quality furniture is not.

So you'd be saving gullible people from getting burned in a cash transaction?

They're allowed to be put up and it is an offence to tamper with them, completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That might not be seen like that by the person sticking up the flyers...i'm just saying...flyers cost time and money to distribute,dropping a bit of litter doesnt cost some people a thought.

Illegal or not you need to be careful when you're pulling stuff down that other(maybe less genteel) people have stuck up.

To be fair, the people that put them up probably don't give a fiddlers about the law.

January wrote: »
    To be fair, the people that put them up probably don't give a fiddlers about the law.

Thats my point...be carefull about pulling stuff like that down

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    MadsL , keep the good work up.

Thank you, but I have had to emigrate so have to pass the baton..
    00112984 wrote: »
    Me for one. There are a couple of roads near me that get similarly festooned with flourescent posters every weekend. Time I went for a walk and cleaned up a few.

Good stuff. I recommend a van/car and some company with you :) - bit less intimidating if you get hassled. I used to toss them in the recycling - but they could be used as things for children to aint on, make things out of - maybe someone in the community could use them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Those things are a real eyesore, and the kitchenwise.ie ads everywhere are nearly as bad!

Gaspode wrote: »
    Those things are a real eyesore, and the kitchenwise.ie ads everywhere are nearly as bad!

http://kitchenwise.ie/contact.html

Call em. Tell them they are breaking the law and that the poster have been reported.

Report to the litter wardens office.

If they persist, remove the posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Absolutely. The first few posts on this thread were about how to report the eyesores of this illegal advertising. Well done, MadsL. I'll have to think about taking them down myself - although I'm usually in the car when I see them.

If enough people take the posters down, then it will stop these idiots putting their illegal posters up. It's all about acting for the good of the community.

Absolutely. The first few posts on this thread were about how to report the eyesores of this illegal advertising. Well done, MadsL. I'll have to think about taking them down myself - although I'm usually in the car when I see them.

If enough people take the posters down, then it will stop these idiots putting their illegal posters up. It's all about acting for the good of the community.

It also helps to level the playing field for business who do abide by the law.

If everyone took them down, then law abiding businesses would have a better chance of competing with the law-breakers. Also - would you trust a business that has no regard for litter laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How many crisp packets and McDonald wrappers did you step over to take down the illegal signs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Hootanany wrote: »
    How many crisp packets and McDonald wrappers did you step over to take down the illegal signs?

How many did you stepover when you walked into your house, logged onto boards and posted that? At least hes doing something.

I tend to pick up litter when I see it too..

If I am out walking in the countryside I absolutely make a point of packing some litter out with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

None that Tayto or MacD's themselves littered the environment with. Sadly some of their customers lack the intelligence or social skills to manage to transfer their waste to a bin, but we can't really hold those companies responsible for the level of education of some of their clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I am pie wrote: »
    None that Tayto or MacD's themselves littered the environment with. Sadly some of their customers lack the intelligence or social skills to manage to transfer their waste to a bin, but we can't really hold those companies responsible for the level of education of some of their clientele.

I was just demonstrating there is litter everywhere why target one companies posters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Exactly. It seems more of a personal reaction to the flyers, if not why isn't he picking up any and every piece of litter he sees when he steps out the house.

Advertisement