Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We buy cars for cash"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Exactly. It seems more of a personal reaction to the flyers, if not why isn't he picking up any and every piece of litter he sees when he steps out the house.

Do you respond to every single post on boards or are you selective?

A massive trail of fluorescent posters on every lamp-post is a bit more an impact than a couple of crisp packets.

Am I supposed to sweep the road too to be vindicated?

If it helps, I organised a litter spring clean once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Hootanany wrote: »
    I was just demonstrating there is litter everywhere why target one companies posters?

Why target one guy clearing up illegal advertising?

DCC clean up personal litter, they don't seem to be interested in tackling corporate littering, only in Ireland would we see criticise someone for taking the initiative to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It would be more appreciated if you did,that's the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Absolutely. The first few posts on this thread were about how to report the eyesores of this illegal advertising. Well done, MadsL. I'll have to think about taking them down myself - although I'm usually in the car when I see them.

If enough people take the posters down, then it will stop these idiots putting their illegal posters up. It's all about acting for the good of the community.

No offense but i hope you have fun wasting your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My co-mod already warned people to stop getting personal. Please follow that warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

MadsL wrote: »
    Do you respond to every single post on boards or are you selective?

A massive trail of fluorescent posters on every lamp-post is a bit more an impact than a couple of crisp packets.

Am I supposed to sweep the road too to be vindicated?

If it helps, I organised a litter spring clean once.

Obviously Im selective, if not Id be replying to every post on boards :confused:

that is your subjective opinion though, I personally don't care about the signs on the lampposts. Nobody is asking for you to be vindicated either :confused:

I have taken part too in neighbourhood area tidying as well, I think far more beneficial and productive than other methods of tidying.

I was just demonstrating there is litter everywhere why target one companies posters?

I didn't. I regularly took posters down from all offenders. Try reading my actua posts please.

Just on this day I started with this set of posters on every lamp-post when he guy confronted me.

Why is a only having one company's posters in my a car a problem anyway? They are still illegal.

Obviously Im selective, if not Id be replying to every post on boards :confused:

that is your subjective opinion though, I personally don't care about the signs on the lampposts. Nobody is asking for you to be vindicated either :confused:

I have taken part too in neighbourhood area tidying as well, I think far more beneficial and productive than other methods of tidying.

You had no problem asking me
    are you for real?

earlier and that you
    Don't know where to start

You also felt...
    No, I just found your behaviour odd, wasting the guards time and everyone elses. I also think you have too much time on your hands

I'm not attacking you personally by the way, just trying to understand why your reaction to someone trying to improve the environment is "are you for real?" It is not the first time I have had that reaction. Is passivity to illegal acts more 'normal' somehow?

Why is what I did so shocking to you, and to others who posted with incredulity?

Just tying to understand the reaction frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

Fair play for taking them down, they are an eyesore. You shouldn't have to though, the local council should be doing it. Where I live (not in Ireland anymore) it wouldn't be tolerated, the local council issue hefty fines and are quite robust in collecting the fines. Even junk mail is banned unless you pay a hefty fee for a licence to distribute it, businesses seem to be continue trading without the need to litter believe it or not.

Don't worry, I don't think you are attacking me in the slightest.

I cant really explain in anymore depth to my posts than originally posted, seem pretty self explanatory tbh

Personally I found your behaviour a little odd and bemusing. It seems though that I am in the minority with my thinking so Ill leave it at that.

You aren't going to change your views and opinions on the matter and I most definitely wont either

/end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I didn't. I regularly took posters down from all offenders. Try reading my actua posts please.

Just on this day I started with this set of posters on every lamp-post when he guy confronted me.

Why is a only having one company's posters in my a car a problem anyway? They are still illegal.

But why posters?
    And not rubbish on the ground?

Don't worry, I don't think you are attacking me in the slightest.

I cant really explain in anymore depth to my posts than originally posted, seem pretty self explanatory tbh

Personally I found your behaviour a little odd and bemusing. It seems though that I am in the minority with my thinking so Ill leave it at that.

You aren't going to change your views and opinions on the matter and I most definitely wont either

/end

I don't really know what your views are though, that was my point.

But why posters?
    And not rubbish on the ground?

Where did I say I don't pick up litter when I see it. I often snag litter off the ground and bin it.

This isn't an either/or scenario.

I don't really know what your views are though, that was my point.

"odd and bemusing"

for the 100th time ;)

"odd and bemusing"

for the 100th time ;)

That's fine, you just haven't explained why you feel that way. That's all I'm trying to elicit from you.

A pals daughter wanted to sell her car quick, as she was emigrating. She was a bit concerned that if anything went wrong with the car that she'd be leaving trouble behind for her Mum to handle. She saw one of those "Cash for cars" adverts online and rang a few of them. Sold a car worth €3,000 for €2,750. She was well happy with the deal. Rather than risk taking cash, she asked they guy to accompany her to a bank, where she lodged the cash. Not all such dealers are dodgy. As for illegal posters, that's another problem and one worth leaving to the litter wardens to deal with.

A pals daughter wanted to sell her car quick, as she was emigrating. She was a bit concerned that if anything went wrong with the car that she'd be leaving trouble behind for her Mum to handle. She saw one of those "Cash for cars" adverts online and rang a few of them. Sold a car worth €3,000 for €2,750. She was well happy with the deal. Rather than risk taking cash, she asked they guy to accompany her to a bank, where she lodged the cash. Not all such dealers are dodgy. As for illegal posters, that's another problem and one worth leaving to the litter wardens to deal with.

The only thing they can really do is issue fines. If they can prove that the sign belongs to the business.

For some businesses they feel the fines are cheaper than advertising legally.

Council enforcement departments are hugely understaffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

As for illegal posters, that's another problem and one worth leaving to the litter wardens to deal with.
    Unfortunately in many parts of Dublin, litter wardens are non-existent due to chronic understaffing.

It's sad that somebody like MadsL goes to the trouble of improving his local area, even in a small way, and gets berated for it. No wonder so many urban areas in Irish cities and towns look like rubbish dumps when taking some pride in your environment is seen as odd and needs to be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What about sports clubs/county flags and bunting erected on road signs, ESB poles, Eircom poles. They are illegal. Would those of you who remove advertising signs remove those too?

...and if you went to an international match in the Aviva, would you remove all those illegally desecrated national flags?

What about sports clubs/county flags and bunting erected on road signs, ESB poles, Eircom poles. They are illegal. Would those of you who remove advertising signs remove those too?

...and if you went to an international match in the Aviva, would you remove all those illegally desecrated national flags?

No-one is trying to make a profit from breaking the law in those cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No-one is trying to make a profit from breaking the law in those cases.
    I know but I was targeting those "if it's illegal, it's illegal" types. Just trying to show that sometimes one has to use one's judgement.

I know but I was targeting those "if it's illegal, it's illegal" types. Just trying to show that sometimes one has to use one's judgement.

Is it for profit? That would be my criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think MadsL should be commended. I think the guard in that case was a disgrace. The guard's comment that MadsL was being impartial is irrelevant and was just an attempt to find a middle ground in the confrontation. The guy from the shop should have been done for littering and wasting the Garda time.

The fact that those signs exist show that A. there is a culture of acceptance among Irish people towards this short of crap; B. the authorities are not doing there job.

We need to lower our toleration of littering and raise our expectations of our public servants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

boombang wrote: »
    We need to lower our toleration of littering and raise our expectations of our public servants.

Ah so it's the "public servants" fault is it?

Where i live every morning there's a bunch of guys on the green across from the bus stop picking up litter and bagging it...coming home in the evening the same area is destroyed with litter again.
    There's a bin at the bus stop,people dont use it,they chuck thier shiite on the ground.

On bin days,plastic bags full of cans and takeaway containers mysteriously appear beside lamp posts for the "public servants" to take away....while most people are sleeping in thier beds.

What do you want them to do? stand guard at notorious litter black spots for days on end waiting to pick up rubbish?

The only way to deal with littering is to change the mindset of the people doing it,and frankly as long as they have "public servants" willing to pick it up as well as thier dole and Sky TV they will never care a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

chopper6 wrote: »

OK, I appreciate my post could read like that. But all I'm trying to say is that I think people currently have quite modest expectations of what "the system" can do about people who abuse the environment. I think people should be comfortable to routine contact the authorities over littering and have a realistic expectation that something will be done about it. The abundance of "cars for cash" adds clearly shows that the authorities are not on top of this.

Regarding the hard working guys cleaning the field across from your house. Isn't this a good example of the system using its resources poorly? Having expensive labour picking up people's rubbish rather than catching and fining litterers in an attempt to change behaviour.

boombang wrote: »
    OK, I appreciate my post could read like that. But all I'm trying to say is that I think people currently have quite modest expectations of what "the system" can do about people who abuse the environment. I think people should be comfortable to routine contact the authorities over littering and have a realistic expectation that something will be done about it. The abundance of "cars for cash" adds clearly shows that the authorities are not on top of this.

Regarding the hard working guys cleaning the field across from your house. Isn't this a good example of the system using its resources poorly? Having expensive labour picking up people's rubbish rather than catching and fining litterers in an attempt to change behaviour.

What do you suggest?

That workers make a citizen's arrest whenever they see a kid dropping litter on the ground?

This is not the remit of the authorities...there are litter wardens who patrol city streets etc but realistically it's not practical to be everywhere at once...

What do you suggest?

That workers make a citizen's arrest whenever they see a kid dropping litter on the ground?

This is not the remit of the authorities...there are litter wardens who patrol city streets etc but realistically it's not practical to be everywhere at once...

I have challenged a kid with it's mother "oh, you dropped something" when I saw the kid drop a crisp bag. You should have heard the language of the mother directed at me, not the kid.

We all should be challenging this behaviour, not just those 'paid' to do it. Litter has to become completely socially unacceptable, we used to throw human sh.t out of our windows, we need to get to the point where throwing figurative 'sh.t' on the ground is just as repugnant.

I have challenged a kid with it's mother "oh, you dropped something" when I saw the kid drop a crisp bag. You should have heard the language of the mother directed at me, not the kid.

We all should be challenging this behaviour, not just those 'paid' to do it. Litter has to become completely socially unacceptable, we used to throw human sh.t out of our windows, we need to get to the point where throwing figurative 'sh.t' on the ground is just as repugnant.

I agree with you...i have also told people they've dropped something and they usually comply although i've gotten a few filthy looks.

I think this attitude to littering(as oppsed to posting flyers etc) definatley needs to be challanged...in schools for example and in the case of people deliberatley dumping domestic refuse then yes,they should be prosecuted and fined.

This however is subject to legislation as well as the popular mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Where i live every morning there's a bunch of guys on the green across from the bus stop picking up litter and bagging it...coming home in the evening the same area is destroyed with litter again.
    There's a bin at the bus stop,people dont use it,they chuck thier shiite on the ground.

On bin days,plastic bags full of cans and takeaway containers mysteriously appear beside lamp posts for the "public servants" to take away....while most people are sleeping in thier beds.

What do you want them to do? stand guard at notorious litter black spots for days on end waiting to pick up rubbish?

The only way to deal with littering is to change the mindset of the people doing it,and frankly as long as they have "public servants" willing to pick it up as well as thier dole and Sky TV they will never care a damn.

So its people on the dole doing it? Well they must be littering around the area I work the bastards.

• Advertisement

So its people on the dole doing it? Well they must be littering around the area I work the bastards.

In my area,largely yes.

A culture of taking means often they dont give a crap about thier sorroundings.

I find it kinda funny that some people cannot afford the 8 euro for a greyhound bin pick-up but judging by thier refuse have no problem paying for Budweiser,John Player Blue,Take aways,Valium,Coca cola,Blue WKD and Amber leaf.

Advertisement