Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visa

Options
  • 23-03-2013 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

need help asap, i'm marrying my american fiance in july here in ireland, we were planning to move to the states afterwards,what and which is the best visa for me to get and the quickest as he works in the states, i also am bringing my 12 yr old son over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's not going to be quick.
    After you marry, he will need to file a spousal visa petition; your son can be a derrivative of that. Once approved, you will apply for the visa, which means a medical and interview in Ireland: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2991.html
    The whole thing will take most of a year. The good news is you can visit with the visa waiver program during this time (but NOT stay/ live or work there), and once you enter the USA with the spousal visa, you get an immediate greencard and can work and travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mollyb69

thanks alot looks like a long year ahead but best to do it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

mollyb69 wrote: »
    thanks alot looks like a long year ahead but best to do it right

good attitude!

A lot of people try and find ways around, the american visa system is firm but pretty fair when you do things right.

The year will fly, there is a lot of paperwork and waiting for appointments, so it'll go quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mollyb69

would it make any difference if we marry over there?

No, the processing time is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Lanterrrn

Just curious - if you get married to a US citizen while on a H-1B or a Green Card, do you have to go back to Ireland for 1-2 years while it's all being sorted? Or can you get married and just not apply for a spousal visa at all?

I can see myself getting married in the next 5 years, but not if it means I have to go back home to Ireland. Can anyone shed some light?

If you already have a greencard, nothing changes for you due to marriage to a USC.
    If you are on a visa and marry then yes, you can do a process called Adjusting Status to get a greencard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lanterrrn

Great news about the green card... but I'd imagine adjusting status while on the H-1B would require heading home for a while, yeah?

No, that is the whole point: Adjusting Status (= AOS) means you stay- visas are for entering countries, and you'd be already in the country, so no spousal visa needed. In fact, it is kind of the other way around: it is generally recommended you do NOT leave the USA during the AOS process.

Advertisement