Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its Earth Hour from 8.30

• 23-03-2013 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Will the last person to switch off the lights switch off the lights?

(don't they usually do this stunt after the clocks go forward)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

My Dominos should be here by 8:30. Way more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

yeah just turned off mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Luddites the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

I'm gonna participate fully. I'll just keep the lights on so I can see what I'm doing while participating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

efb wrote: »

But it's not 20.30 yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

My lefties been off now for close to 13 years now.

m searching for the old style 50p coins for this meter :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Spring forward and fall back

said my alcoholic Geography teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hootanany wrote: »
    But it's not 20.30 yet.

my freking Bord Gais Energy bill says earth hour started at 20:10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I wonder how many tonnes of coal Chinese power stations will get through in the next hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Biggest load of shíte I have come across in modern times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I do that every night when I go to bed anyway. Big wow doing it at 20:30 for no reason .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Feck that!! Madness have just started a live gig on BBC HD and I'm not missing it.

Ill have to think of another way to save the environment.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Feck that!! Madness have just started a live gig on BBC HD and I'm not missing it.

Ill have to think of another way to save the environment.....

It was live last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've postponed my Earth Hour until sometime between 3 & 5 AM... depending on when I get up for a piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Turning off the lights? Wimps, go full tilt and turn off every electronic appliance in the house, then sit down and consider your existence... hippies.

efb wrote: »
    I always turn them off in unused rooms anyway, why change the habits of a lifetime, as for the room I’m in, no way!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

I only just heard about this now.
    I do care honestly, its just that to partake now that its 21.01 would mean I fall into the normal people who dont give a shyt3 camp.

Id get no smugitude credits. not worth it.
    light stays on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

What about the huge power surge when everybody turns them back on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

I only just heard about this now.
    I do care honestly, its just that to partake now that its 21.01 would mean I fall into the normal people who dont give a shyt3 camp.

Id get no smugitude credits. not worth it.
    light stays on.

It's a load of bollox, thought up by tree hugging hippies and fúcking government paid "save the world" junkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

mike65 wrote: »

Feck. I slept through it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Hootanany wrote: »
    But it's not 20.30 yet.

Christ, lads, which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Chop Chop wrote: »
    It's a load of bollox, thought up by tree hugging hippies and fúcking government paid "save the world" junkets.
    Nah I don't agree with this Earth Hour approach either but it's a good thing that there are people who give a sh1t about the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

are the clocks going forward tonight?

are the clocks going forward tonight?
    no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Madam_X wrote: »
    Nah I don't agree with this Earth Hour approach either but it's a good thing that there are people who give a sh1t about the environment.

We are bombarded with ads telling us to watch our carbon footprint, fine, no problem with that. I would be quite conscious of saving energy in general.

But then you have the likes of starbucks and other fuckers leaving their lights on all night.

keith16 wrote: »
    We are bombarded with ads telling us to watch our carbon footprint, fine, no problem with that. I would be quite conscious of saving energy in general.

But then you have the likes of starbucks and other fuckers leaving their lights on all night.
    I'm all in favour of pointless lights being switched off, every night not just the one night, the saving in electricity costs could mean cheaper stuff in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Cool_CM wrote: »
    What about the huge power surge when everybody turns them back on?
    http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/13/03/18/1527213/why-earth-hour-is-a-waste-of-time-and-energy
    "Next Saturday from 8:30PM to 9:30PM EST is 'Earth Hour' (0:30 to 1:30 UTC on Sunday). Millions of people will be participating by shutting off their lights for an hour to show they care about the environment. However, according to this article in Slate, Earth Hour is simply 'vain symbolism,' and it won't actually save any energy — quite the opposite. Quoting: 'Notice that you have not been asked to switch off anything really inconvenient, like your heating or air-conditioning, television, computer, mobile phone, or any of the myriad technologies that depend on affordable, plentiful energy electricity and make modern life possible. If switching off the lights for one hour per year really were beneficial, why would we not do it for the other 8,759? Hypothetically, switching off the lights for an hour would cut CO2 emissions from power plants around the world. But, even if everyone in the entire world cut all residential lighting, and this translated entirely into CO2 reduction, it would be the equivalent of China pausing its CO2 emissions for less than four minutes. In fact, Earth Hour will cause emissions to increase. As the United Kingdom's National Grid operators have found, a small decline in electricity consumption does not translate into less energy being pumped into the grid, and therefore will not reduce emissions. Moreover, during Earth Hour, any significant drop in electricity demand will entail a reduction in CO2 emissions during the hour, but it will be offset by the surge from firing up coal or gas stations to restore electricity supplies afterward.'"

Don't bother. Really, don't. I was in one massive industrial plant that had just been built on the outskirts of dublin, the whole interior was airconditioned, heated and dehumidified by massive(40') air handling units mounted up at roof level. The interior fit out took a year and a half, then the unit was idle for about 6 months while technical stuff was done. The air-handling units were on full blast for the whole time.

Not if you turned off Swords would you even dint the amount of electricity that used needlessly for 2 years. I could give you a hundred other examples. On a personal level, don't bother conserving energy, it's just a load of cobblers. Industry and Commercial concerns pure wastage dwarfs any saving that might ever be made by well intentioned individuals.

Another example that rots my toot is the C.I.E leaving diesel locomotives idling overnight and for days on end because their starter motors are broken and if they turn them off they can't re-start them without repairing the starter motor. The.mother.of.a.small.person.in.fcukin. chile.wept. Fix the BL00DY starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

tank fo remindin me to burn de rubbish

• Advertisement

my my my wrote: »
    tank fo remindin me to burn de rubbish
    no bother. In any sense. Lads burning scrap tyres at night dwarf anything your bit of smudge might produce anyway.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Remember a couple of years back it was the fashion amongst 20 and 30 somethings to change their Facebook profile pictures to cartoon characters?

This was all done supposedly in order to raise awareness of child abuse.

The fact that you'd have to have been living under a stone for the last 20-odd years not to be aware of child abuse didn't enter the equation.

What mattered was it was a way of making self-absorbed people feel better about themselves while getting a chance to show off their caring side, but without having to spend any money or time/expending any effort whatsoever to actually combat or help the victims of child abuse.

Earth hour is the environmental equivalent of changing your Facebook profile picture, but on a bigger scale.

It's a moronic empty gestures beloved by public relations arseh0les in big companies who couldn't care less about the environment.

Not only that, Earth Hour completely misses the point of what the environmental movement is all about.

The whole purpose of investing in green energy is to see how we're going to keep the lights on without leaving the next generation living in a world that resembles the Mad Max films.

Earth Hour: without a doubt the most stupid campaign ever invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Wouldn't a global switch-off even for just an hour save a good bit of energy though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Madam_X wrote: »
    Wouldn't a global switch-off even for just an hour save a good bit of energy though?
    Post #28 says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

I did the whole Earth hour thing. As did most people on my street, from what I could gather via darkened, twitching net curtains diligently inspecting one another.

However, lightbulbs are one of the least energy intensive appliances in your home.

I did find it a little hypocritical to be showering by candle-light, boiling the kettle via flashlight, and charging my laptop during Earth Hour.

Or, maybe that was the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Earth Hour is a load of bollox.

As an exercise in raising awareness about energy conservation, Earth Hour is a complete waste of time.

Most people will have forgotton about it in less than 48 hours.

But multinational corporations love it as a PR exercise.

Watching the news and seeing the neon Coca Cola billboards being switched off in Times Square or Piccadilly Circus leaves people with a subconcious message that Coke somehow give a shít about the environment.

And many months after Earth Hour, they'll buy a coke under the subliminaly misguided idea that Coke = green environment, even though they won't remember why.

Thats how it works.

Its all a complete load of fúck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Turn it off for what exactly? Do we really an impact on this planet? Or is that just bullsh1t to get a lot of people very rich.

Turn it off for what exactly?
    Climate change awareness.

I'm not sure how climate change awareness gets people very rich, in spite of previous warnings of "subliminal" messages.

hames wrote: »
    Climate change awareness.

I'm not sure how climate change awareness gets people very rich, in spite of previous warnings of "subliminal" messages.

But doesn't climate change run in cycles, for instance we had an ice age before there was an SUV on the planet.

The reason I'm sceptical is that certain people seem to be making a lot money from the 'green' business. Do us humans really have an impact on this ancient planet? Imo opinion no, when was the Industrial Revolution again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dwork wrote: »
    Another example that rots my toot is the C.I.E leaving diesel locomotives idling overnight and for days on end because their starter motors are broken and if they turn them off they can't re-start them without repairing the starter motor. The.mother.of.a.small.person.in.fcukin. chile.wept. Fix the BL00DY starter.

AFAIK it wasn't the starter motors but the actual engines that are knackered. They are so old that the compression is gone and if they stop them they'll never get going again. They where near replacement time so it was easier to leave them running than replace the engine as people still needed to use them till they where replaced.

From people who travel the world to meetings about how to stop us travelling the world.

Since most power stations can't be turned off or down it's better to have lights on at night then have the station produce unconsumed electricity. The bigger issue with Statbucks is have they stopped having a tap constantly running in all their stores? Yet I'm sure they made a big issue out of turning off the lights in their stores for an hour.

Which raises a question. Do hundreds of thousands of candles burning for an hour produce more pollution than a normal hour of electrical light? Apart from as already posted it actually doesn't save any electrical energy.

But doesn't climate change run in cycles, for instance we had an ice age before there was an SUV on the planet.
    Ironically enough, events like the last ice age form part of the evidence for climate change, not against it.

The overall evidence for climate change, stretching from the present era back through the millenia, does not excludes all non-manmade reasons for climate change. That is a misconception. Manmade climate change is simply the most recent chapter of the book of evidence.
    The reason I'm sceptical is that certain people seem to be making a lot money from the 'green' business.
    Eh, I'm confused. Are you sceptical about genetic heritability because some people make a lot of money out of genetics, gene therapy and associated research? How about mathematics, geology, clinical medicine..? Do the normal processes of enterprise normally awaken your disbelief?

• Advertisement

Ironically enough, events like the last ice age form part of the evidence for climate change, not against it.

The overall evidence for climate change, stretching from the present era back through the millenia, does not excludes all non-manmade reasons for climate change. That is a misconception. Manmade climate change is simply the most recent chapter of the book of evidence.

Eh, I'm confused. Are you sceptical about genetic heritability because some people make a lot of money out of genetics, gene therapy and associated research? How about mathematics, geology, clinical medicine..? Do the normal processes of enterprise normally awaken your disbelief?

I'm referring to the Green industry. It's a business type known as a racket, you either intimidate or deceive the 'mark' into buying a bullsh1t product or service. It's an ancient art form, fear is the selling point. Racketeering is a broad subject, it's often associated with organised crime.

you either intimidate or deceive the 'mark' into buying a bullsh1t product or service.
    Except it doesn't. Climate change is an established empirical, scientific fact and the probability of a human activity cause is put at >90%. And this data isn't coming from windfarm companies or the nuclear industry, it comes from peer reviewed research via NASA and the IPCC.

So to call it a racket you really have to substantiate it with something solid.

Except it doesn't. Climate change is an established empirical, scientific fact and the probability of a human activity cause is put at >90%. And this data isn't coming from windfarm companies or the nuclear industry, it comes from peer reviewed research via NASA and the IPCC.

So to call it a racket you really have to substantiate it with something solid.
    Indeed. Some day when we're all bored we can discuss funding for research projects and how including the words "man made climate changes" into the proposal bumps your chances of getting a grant by 80%. I'm not that bored today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Earth hour - no dip on the eirgrid site.

http://imgur.com/bHtf0KD - graphic

Numbers
    23/03/2013 20:00 ,3615 ,
    23/03/2013 20:15 ,3568 ,
    23/03/2013 20:30 ,3527 ,
    23/03/2013 20:45 ,3466 ,
    23/03/2013 21:00 ,3382 ,
    23/03/2013 21:15 ,3343 ,
    23/03/2013 21:30 ,3282 ,

23/03/2013 21:45 ,3233 ,
    23/03/2013 22:00 ,3168 ,

mike65 wrote: »

Actually why don't they do this in that hour ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

didn't know this was going on. Was too busy using 3 big studio lights at the time... oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Was goin to take part in this at 20.30 but me clock only goes as far as 12.00.
    Have to wait for next year now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Advertisement