Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ikea have reduced all LED lightbulbs

• 23-03-2013 10:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Was up in Ikea today buying a few bits and bobs.

Ikea have reduced all their LED lightbulbs by 2 euro and by 5 euro.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/20514/

Most of them were 7 and 8 euro and 11 euro.

Now they are 5 and 6 euro each.

Good light quality from too (nice warm white),as I bought a few more LED bulbs today to try them out in the floor lamps,the bedrooms and landing spaces.:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

For anyone interested in the E27 LED bulbs and that has B22 ceiling light fittings.....there a very simple and quick solution.

Its called a B22-E27 adaptor.

Screw the Ikea LED bulb into the adaptor.

Then screw adaptor into your existing B22 ceiling light.

Simples.:)

Pic shows how compact the LED bulb is compared to an Ikea CFL bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Its says on one of them 8.1w, what does it compare to in an ordinary bulb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Anyway I working out how bright these are compared to normal bulbs ? 40wt ? 60wt? 100wtt???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yeah, a lux meter will give you the information. But you need to look at the colour temperature.

Also incandescent bulbs havn't being normal in a few years ;)

Its says on one of them 8.1w, what does it compare to in an ordinary bulb?

The 8 watt bulb is the Ikea CFL bulb...thats is around a 40 watt ordinary bulb.
    11 watt CFL would be 60 watt
    15 watt CFL would be around 75 watt
    20 watt CFL would be around 100 watt

Philips CFL lights would be the same too.

I find the Ikea LED lights just nice for the bedrooms and for the various table and floor lamps....as the pics show.;)

Just a nice amount of warm white light (2700k)

Ikea are fading out CFL lights for good and changing over to LED at the moment.

Im happy with them so far,as too are my family.

I also have all of downstairs and the upstairs bathrooms fitted out with Philips Master 4 watt LED GU10s...again a lovely warm white light.:)

• Advertisement

Tesco currently want 12 euro 50 cents for the same type of E27 golf ball LED bulb that Ikea sell for 5 euro.

So thats a no brainer there.:pac::D

Tesco now want 14 euro for an LED lightbulb.

"Every little helps"".......................Me Hole it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

paddy147 wrote: »
    I also have all of downstairs and the upstairs bathrooms fitted out with Philips Master 4 watt LED GU10s...again a lovely warm white light.:)
    How much were these paddy? I need to get my hands on 20. I know the prices are reducing but them masters are prob still the top end of the pricing ladder ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Jesus, how sad have I become that I now get excited at discount light bulbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

dodzy wrote: »
    How much were these paddy? I need to get my hands on 20. I know the prices are reducing but them masters are prob still the top end of the pricing ladder ?

Ive been buying these for the last 2 years and am following prices.

I got 20 of the mr16s with a separate order with mr16 adaptors for half the price off dhgate. 3-4 weeks on delivery. Might have to pay customs if an post put it through.

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale+led+lights.html

theres also dealextreme.com and futureled.ie

Theres a big difference between the warm and cold light colours. the cold light is nearly blu-ish. Id got 10 of each to try them. the cold light goes well in the bathroom but Im going to change these for warm lights when i get round to it.

They dont need transformers.

Anything under 5W LED I find is nearly mood lighting. Id recommend at least 6w if not 8w to replace 50W halogen. Not all are dimmable, have to get specific dimmable ones which are a little extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I've put 3 Ikea LED's GU10's into the bathroom. The colour is very white, but in a bathroom thats probably a good thing. Down to €5 each now i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Still cheaper to use ebay and get them sent to your door if ya have a room full of downlighters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Do Ikea sell the B22-E27 adaptor? It's not listed on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

nc6000 wrote: »

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=b22+gu10+adaptor&_sacat=0&_from=R40

get them sent to your door.

When I bought them early last year (2012) they were 8 euro 30 cents plus vat in the leccy wholesalers.

I find them just perfect for myself and my families needs.I have them in the kitchen area,the dinning area,2 living areas and also the bathroom and ensuite.

A nice warm white colout off them (2700k).

Very happy with them.Single Cree LED in them too.

nc6000 wrote: »

No they dont sell them.

I bought a good few of the adaptors in a local leccy wholesalers.....for the bedrooms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

antodeco wrote: »
    Jesus, how sad have I become that I now get excited at discount light bulbs?

Getting old is a b1tch! I too am the same

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Got 24 of these bulbs in ikea, happy enough with thwm, dont notice much of a diffrrance. But would of been nice if they had 4w ones!
    Where have people bought 4w online as i still need more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Would those GU10 bulbs be bright enough for a kitchen (the light is a rail with four spotlights on it using halogen bulbs at the moment that get hot enough to scorch the ceiling paint!)?

blastman wrote: »
    Would those GU10 bulbs be bright enough for a kitchen (the light is a rail with four spotlights on it using halogen bulbs at the moment that get hot enough to scorch the ceiling paint!)?
    Unless its a monster, with a lot of dark colours, you should be OK. Get that 200W energy sapping setup out. The kitchen, in my place anyway, will show the most savings. The thing is always bloody on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

any such thing as a mr16 to gu10 adapter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

brokenarms wrote: »
    Still cheaper to use ebay and get them sent to your door if ya have a room full of downlighters

The beauty of IKEA is the bulbs are good quality and they stand over them. On ebay the vast majority are utter crap.

I use the IKEA 3.7w GU10's for showroom use and find them to be excellent. After over a year of use for 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week, every one of them (there are over 50) are still working perfectly.

Also have them at home
    Equal to Approx 35w halogen.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

sandin wrote: »
    The beauty of IKEA is the bulbs are good quality and they stand over them. On ebay the vast majority are utter crap.

I use the IKEA 3.7w GU10's for showroom use and find them to be excellent. After over a year of use for 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week, every one of them (there are over 50) are still working perfectly.

Also have them at home

they're equal to 40W halogen

Also have them at home
    Lenny wrote: »

Not that it's a deal breaker, but I thought 3.7W is the 35W equivalent ?

The E27 LED bulbs that I bought in Ikea are 3.5w and are 200 lumen....2700k.

Just nice for the living room floorlamps,bedside locker lamps and also for the main ceiling bedroom lights too.

Also have 2 of them for the landing lights too.
    Oh and ceiling light in the front porch too.

A soft warm white light from them.:)

Lenny wrote: »

My use of them says they are equivalent to about 35w halogen - manufacturers may claim higher, but difference between 35w & 40w is not huge in a home situation.

The saving on the difference in cost between the standard 50 watt (difficult to get 35w) and the led is made within 150hours of use - for home use this is about 6-8 week, for commercial use its less than 3 weeks. (based on €2 standard bulb cost and €5 led cost)

My use of them says they are equivalent to about 35w halogen - manufacturers may claim higher, but difference between 35w & 40w is not huge in a home situation.

The saving on the difference in cost between the standard 50 watt (difficult to get 35w) and the led is made within 150hours of use - for home use this is about 6-8 week, for commercial use its less than 3 weeks. (based on €2 standard bulb cost and €5 led cost)
    your a bitt off on your maths..
    50w*150 hours=7.5kWh * 20 cents kwh= €1.5
    3.7W *150hours=.555kwh *20 cents = €0.11
    so in 150 hours the saving in electricity is only €1.39

Its actually 324 hours....
    so say 4 hours use day = 81 days = 11.57 weeks.

that's the friday brain :)

Next time I'll use the calculator / abacus.

even with say 12 weeks useage to get cost back - they last ages, all mine are 1year+ and on 9 hours a day 7 days a week and all still shining bright.

The good news is led tecnology is moving at a great pace, so expect prices to drop further.

I spoke to the manager in Ikea this morning.

They are getting in new versions of the various LED bulbs next month.
    New lighting design and more lumens too.

The LED lights are one of Ikeas biggest sellers these days and they are struggling to keep enough in stock...thats how fast they are bought up when they go out on the shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Popped in on the way to work there now and bought four of the GU10 bulbs. Not many on the shelf so they do seem to be a good seller.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are purchasing only to reduce electricity costs then check the lumens vs. watts.

These aren't any better than CFL , they cost more and you have to buy more of them to get the same light. ( some are worse than CFL )

Only really worth buying for instant full brightness / colour of light.

Not sure if Atlantic are still doing these for these for €2.19
    http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/led-technology/lamps/led-2in1-lamps/duled/index.jsp

Energy Saver + LED bulb
    0.3W when used in LED mode less than a fiver a year if you leave it on all the time. Handy for mode and corridors.

400Lm /8W in CFL mode = 50Lm/watt.

The Ikea one only gives 40Lm / watt and are half as bright
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/70255291/

The record for LED's is 250Lm/watt, so expect way more efficient LED's bulbs in the next few years that will beat CFL's

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Only instant brightness/better light?

Do they not last longer and run cooler?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

copacetic wrote: »
    Only instant brightness/better light?

Do they not last longer and run cooler?
    It's more that you won't save any money compared to shopping around for CFL's for now and buying the best LED later.

LED's and CFL's both fade over time

Replacing one CFL with two LED's that each cost more than twice the price is crazy when more cheaper and more efficient LEDs will be available when you need to replace the CFL

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's more that you won't save any money compared to shopping around for CFL's for now and buying the best LED later.

LED's and CFL's both fade over time

Replacing one CFL with two LED's that each cost more than twice the price is crazy when more cheaper and more efficient LEDs will be available when you need to replace the CFL

They last roughly 2.5 times longer so it doesn't seem that crazy? Ikea cfl rated for 10k hours, LEDs 25k hours. So price is the same/hour and they are instant on, better light and run cool.

Well as my pics show on previous pages......they (Ikea LEDs) are good enough for floor lamps,table lamps and also bedrooms.

Good enough for myself and my family.

• Advertisement

If you are purchasing only to reduce electricity costs then check the lumens vs. watts.

These aren't any better than CFL , they cost more and you have to buy more of them to get the same light. ( some are worse than CFL )

Not sure if Atlantic are still doing these for these for €2.19
    http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/led-technology/lamps/led-2in1-lamps/duled/index.jsp

Energy Saver + LED bulb
    0.3W when used in LED mode less than a fiver a year if you leave it on all the time. Handy for mode and corridors.

400Lm /8W in CFL mode = 50Lm/watt.

The Ikea one only gives 40Lm / watt and are half as bright
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/70255291/

The record for LED's is 250Lm/watt, so expect way more efficient LED's bulbs in the next few years that will beat CFL's
    There's more than lm/watt. You need to look at the CIR and temperature. Low pressure sodium lamps give great lm/watt but have a really bad CIR and temperature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

The short version for lay people is that the ikea leds have a very low output the most powerful one there is 400lm which they themselves say is approximately equal to the light emitted by a 40-watt incandescent bulb.

Their GU10 bulb is only 150lm which is equivalent to a efficient 20w gu10 or a 10w efficient halogen capsule.

ted1 wrote: »
    There's more than lm/watt. You need to look at the CIR and temperature.
    That's why I said
    Me wrote:
    The best LED's beat Low pressure sodium but won't be in the shops for a while.

paddyp wrote: »
    The short version for lay people is that the ikea leds have a very low output the most powerful one there is 400lm which they themselves say is approximately equal to the light emitted by a 40-watt incandescent bulb.
    400Lm = 8W CFL or 7.5W LED or 30W "ECO" Halogen

copacetic wrote: »
    They last roughly 2.5 times longer so it doesn't seem that crazy? Ikea cfl rated for 10k hours, LEDs 25k hours. So price is the same/hour and they are instant on, better light and run cool.
    The CFL is 1/3rd the price.

10K hours is 3 years at 9 hours a day.
    I'd expect cheaper and more efficient LED's by then

as for running cool , watts come out as heat or light , there is 0.5w difference on the 400lm bulbs, - the 5W led is gives less light than the CFL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

Bought 4 IKEA LEDARE LED bulb E14 reflector R50 Spotlight bulb at the full price last month - and
    they are not so good -

slightly flickery like they are flashing really fast - torch like directional (tighter focus than a normal R50 or cfl) they were replacing and not a great colour being a bit too clinical blue tint.

0131626_PE286283_S3.JPG

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Bought 4 IKEA LEDARE LED bulb E14 reflector R50 Spotlight bulb at the full price last month - and
    they are not so good -

slightly flickery like they are flashing really fast - torch like directional (tighter focus than a normal R50 or cfl) they were replacing and not a great colour being a bit too clinical blue tint.

0131626_PE286283_S3.JPG

are they going through a dimmer?
    what angle are they , thats antother thing to take into account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

ted1 wrote: »
    are they going through a dimmer?
    what angle are they , thats antother thing to take into account

No dimmer - just 4 in a row on one of those kitchen ceiling lights bars - angled down from ceiling as they are designed to be. Mains was measured at 230v.
    Ill try capture the strobe effect on camera and post it.. not sure if I can.

“Roll it back”

No dimmer - just 4 in a row on one of those kitchen ceiling lights bars - angled down from ceiling as they are designed to be. Mains was measured at 230v.
    Ill try capture the strobe effect on camera and post it.. not sure if I can.
    Lamps are sold as having an angle of light spread. A typical Gu10 could be 35-40 degrees. It sounds like these are more spot lights with a small angle designed to focus light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

they are not so good -

0131626_PE286283_S3.JPG

Another reason to avoid youd think the shops selling this junk must have shares in the incandescent bulb companies. Make sure to keep the receipts. 2700k should not be blue at all specs are obviously meaningless no angle specified so you'd expect it to be diffused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 WhiteNoSugar

Could be poor wiring in the fitting, wouldn't be the first time LED lamps have had short circuits in those types of fittings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

So confused !

Put basically , which one is cheaper to run!

msg11 wrote: »
    So confused !

Put basically , which one is cheaper to run!
    Today CFL's mainly because of the very low price of the bulbs and fittings.

By 2015/6 LEDs will be twice or even three times as efficient and a fraction of the price they are today. Today only the very best LEDs can compete with CFL on light output per watt. And you'd have to make the savings in two years or less.

The future belongs to LEDs, CFLs won't be around much longer.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/philips-shatters-led-efficiency-record/17268
    Both Philips and Cree have demonstrated 200Lm/watt, many of todays led's are only 1/4 of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

If you've a celtic tiger kitchen with a million downers, they're worth getting. At the right price.

If you've a celtic tiger kitchen with a million downers, they're worth getting. At the right price.

philips master 4w GU10 dimmable lamps at €8.50, are the ideal repalcement for 5ws or 35 W leds and will offer a pyback period of around a year, then after that your laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 WhiteNoSugar

You know I'm really tired of the blatant lies told about Lm/W efficiency.

According to the CIBSE Society of Light and Lighting Handbook:

Technology Lm/W
    =======================
    Incandescent 8-14
    Halogen 15-25

Energysaver 20-50
    T8 Fluorescent 50-96

Metal Halide 65-97

Also, the Philips 4W is no longer the be all and end all. It's an OK lamp with about the same light output as a 25W halogen. There are higher output lamps out there from any of the decent on-line retailers for the same or less money.

Capt'n Midnight is absolutely right though, there are much better lamps coming out in the next few years. BUT I don't agree that they'll be a lot cheaper than they are now because there is a lot of R&D to payback and the suppliers know people won't change over if the existing solution is good enough. The benefits of moving from an 8W lamp to a 3W lamp are negligible in terms of ROI.

You know I'm really tired of the blatant lies told about Lm/W efficiency.

According to the CIBSE Society of Light and Lighting Handbook:

Technology Lm/W
    =======================
    Incandescent 8-14
    Halogen 15-25

Energysaver 20-50
    T8 Fluorescent 50-96

Metal Halide 65-97

Also, the Philips 4W is no longer the be all and end all. It's an OK lamp with about the same light output as a 25W halogen. There are higher output lamps out there from any of the decent on-line retailers for the same or less money.

Capt'n Midnight is absolutely right though, there are much better lamps coming out in the next few years. BUT I don't agree that they'll be a lot cheaper than they are now because there is a lot of R&D to payback and the suppliers know people won't change over if the existing solution is good enough. The benefits of moving from an 8W lamp to a 3W lamp are negligible in terms of ROI.
    I measured the difference between a 50w and 4w and they are a good substitute. I replaced 8 50w gu10s with 4w Nd I'm more than satisfied.

So I'm going to have to disagree with you

• Advertisement
Advertisement