Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ikea have reduced all LED lightbulbs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

ted1 wrote: »
    philips master 4w GU10 dimmable lamps at €8.50, are the ideal repalcement for 5ws or 35 W leds and will offer a pyback period of around a year, then after that your laughing
    Where can you buy them at €8.50?

Cheapest I can find them online is about €12 ea.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do-more wrote: »
    Where can you buy them at €8.50?

Cheapest I can find them online is about €12 ea.

Eurosales

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Joey99

Chalk up another getting excited about discounts and developments in LED lighting!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You know I'm really tired of the blatant lies told about Lm/W efficiency.

According to the CIBSE Society of Light and Lighting Handbook:

Technology Lm/W
    =======================
    Incandescent 8-14
    Halogen 15-25

Energysaver 20-50
    T8 Fluorescent 50-96

Metal Halide 65-97
    Again hammering home the point that both Philips and Cree have demonstrated 200Lm/W in a downhill with the wind behind you way, but still. Compare that to as low as 40Lm/W on some of those Ikea LEDs.

Oh yeah Cree announced 276Lm/W
    http://www.cree.com/news-and-events/cree-news/press-releases/2013/february/276-lpw Cree reports that the LED efficacy was measured at 276 lumens per watt, at a correlated color temperature of 4401 K and 350 mA.

Capt'n Midnight is absolutely right though, there are much better lamps coming out in the next few years. BUT I don't agree that they'll be a lot cheaper than they are now because there is a lot of R&D to payback and the suppliers know people won't change over if the existing solution is good enough. The benefits of moving from an 8W lamp to a 3W lamp are negligible in terms of ROI.
    The best of the LEDs will still command a premium but they will push down the price of their poorer cousins. Look at what happened the price of CFL's - that should give an idea of the maximum costs of all the physical bits and electronics for an LED bulb. At that stage all you have to pay for is the LED itself.

Haitz's law - states that every decade, the cost per lumen (unit of useful light emitted) falls by a factor of 10, and the amount of light generated per LED package increases by a factor of 20.

Ignore bulbs that use lots of tiny inefficient LEDs and get ones that have just a few large LEDs - the efficiency is nothing to do with the size per se, but rather that larger LED are newer technology and newer technology is more efficient.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

philips master 4w GU10 dimmable lamps at €8.50, are the ideal repalcement for 5ws or 35 W leds and will offer a pyback period of around a year, then after that your laughing
    Payback of a year vs. incandescent just means you are ignoring the CFL option.

Unfortunately GU10 CFL's are an extortionate price in most retailers compared to normal B22 CFL's. :mad::mad::mad:

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/pro-elec/gu11w/lamp-gu10-energy-saving/dp/LP03326 11w for Unit Price: €3.84 (€4.72)
    http://cpcireland.farnell.com/pro-elec/esgu107w/lamp-gu10-energy-saving-7w/dp/LP03264?in_merch=Featured%20Products Unit Price: €4.24 (€5.21)
    Sorry I don't know what delivery costs , it used to be free :(

Though LED's are finally getting cheaper - beware they start at 0.8w so CFL's are still cheaper per Watt.
    http://cpcireland.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+2006+207556&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=gu10&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

If you want to save money long term don't buy fancy light fittings.

LEDs have an edge as they have 0 start up time compared to CFLs and its my personal opinion that they gave a nicer colour which would be subjective as its an opinion .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I wouldn't hold my breath for super efficient leds at consumer prices.

You're typically talking 3-4 years from the lab to production, when the 200lm+ leds do come out in real world lamps they'll likely be producing well under 200lm/w at the warm white temperatures and typical operating currents. It will be a several years after that again before they reach consumer prices.

What we will hopefully see in the next couple of years is the 80-100lm/w bulbs becoming widely available at sub €10 prices which will render cfls obsolete. The biggest problem is legacy formats like gu10 which simply dont lend themselves to integration of efficient technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

OK - I'm not fuss - LED, CFL - whichever.

Can someone please post a link to any cheap replacements for my "half light/half oven" halogen 40W GU10s please ?

Thanks in advance !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Eurosales

Yep Euroseles indeed.:)

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    OK - I'm not fuss - LED, CFL - whichever.

Can someone please post a link to any cheap replacements for my "half light/half oven" halogen 40W GU10s please ?

Thanks in advance !!
    you mean like the one's in my previous post ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Eurosales

And just to double check, is that €8.50 inc VAT or €8.50 + VAT?

invest4deepvalue.com

paddyp wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath for super efficient leds at consumer prices.
    Like I keep saying buy CFL's today, but expect to replace them with LEDs

for the benefit of those who didn't look up the link
    Those G10 LED's start at 0.8W €2.34 (€2.87)
    3.5W is €6.79 (€8.35)
    5W €7.97 (€9.80)

Do-more wrote: »
    And just to double check, is that €8.50 inc VAT or €8.50 + VAT?

Inclusive of VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Inclusive of VAT
    last time i bought a batch (admittedly a while ago) of the Phillips Master GU10 LED's they were €8.50 each, but it was €8.50 + VAT, not inc. VAT, so have the prices gone down recently?

• Advertisement

dunnes have the regular white philips 4w LED bulbs in stock for €9.99 at the moment.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/led-light-bulbs/led-4w-35w-gu10-bright-white-dimmable-046677420345/prd/en/

273475.jpg

not the master ones, but still handy enough if you can't get to eurosales.

why are MR16 LED's so expensive ??

and how do you know if any of them are able to take the ~15v or so you'd get from an unregulated transformer used for halogens

because if you have to replace the transformer then might as well fit a totally different lighting system

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+2006+207556&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=mr16+led&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

vibe666 wrote: »
    dunnes have the regular white philips 4w LED bulbs in stock for €9.99 at the moment.

Now that the usual suspect's gone, I thought that'd be the end of the pictures.

At least you spared us a shot of the receipt!

Yamanoto wrote: »

at least i compressed the pictures a bit! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yamanoto wrote: »

Haas Paddy been banned? What on earth could he have done?

• Advertisement

Haas Paddy been banned? What on earth could he have done?

You can read the thread in the prison forum, apparently he consumed moderator hours at the same pace he consumed briquettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You can read the thread in the prison forum, apparently he consumed moderator hours at the same pace he consumed briquettes.

Wow I had no idea. I'm not as frequent a poster here as most of you chaps so I had no idea he was such a nuisance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd be scared now if my username started with 'paddy'. :eek:

:)

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I'd be scared now if my username started with 'paddy'. :eek:

:)

From 2004 - it was funny at the time
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1327556&postcount=72
    Anyways,
    Back to the business at hand:

Paddy18, Paddy19 and Paddy20 walk into a bar. The barman turns to them and says "Is this some sort of joke?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Bought 2 of the 4W ledar LED 2700 GU10 lights today in IKEA. This thread inspired me to make the purchase.
    Replaced 2 of my 50W GU10s with them. Very happy with them.

After burning my hand with the halogen, I popped in the new 4W and was very happy with the result.

It's slightly dimmer, and a little more towards the red spectrum, but I'm very impressed with the brightness.

I've tried using the CFL GU10 but they suck in light output comparing to a halogen.

I will be replacing all my Halogens with LEDs over the next couple of weeks.

manonboard wrote: »
    Bought 2 of the 4W ledar LED 2700 GU10 lights today in IKEA. This thread inspired me to make the purchase.
    Replaced 2 of my 50W GU10s with them. Very happy with them.

After burning my hand with the halogen, I popped in the new 4W and was very happy with the result.

It's slightly dimmer, and a little more towards the red spectrum, but I'm very impressed with the brightness.

I've tried using the CFL GU10 but they suck in light output comparing to a halogen.

Have they repackaged the mr16 style as gu10 then or is this a new bulb? Cause the gu10 i saw was 3.4 watts and only 140lm per watt which is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Does IKEA stock gu9 LED bulbs, mine are always failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

As long as they don't produce LED bulbs with a light output comparable to a 100w incandescent bulb I see no point in moving to them for my main lighting, especially not in areas such as bathrooms or kitchens. In sitting rooms where more mellow lighting is required, maybe. But even there you may sometimes want to be able to switch on the big, glaring overhead light that allows you to see exactly what you're doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

rozeboosje wrote: »
    As long as they don't produce LED bulbs with a light output comparable to a 100w incandescent bulb I see no point in moving to them for my main lighting, especially not in areas such as bathrooms or kitchens. In sitting rooms where more mellow lighting is required, maybe. But even there you may sometimes want to be able to switch on the big, glaring overhead light that allows you to see exactly what you're doing...

Brightness is measured in lumen's and candela's not watts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Tockman wrote: »
    Brightness is measured in lumen's and candela's not watts.

I understand that, but you still have a certain expectation of brightness from an ordinary 100 watt incandescent bulb, and in order to replace one with a LED bulb I would have to find one the light output of which is comparable to that. I don't really care that it's measured in lumens or candelas. Point is that the light output of current LED bulbs does not come anywhere near what's required. As I pointed out, I can probably find a LED bulb to replace a 40 watt incandescent bulb. I think an 8 watt LED bulb would be similar in brightness. I think there are LED bulbs bright enough to replace the 60 watt incandescent bulbs that I use in other places in the house. But I don't think there are LED bulbs bright enough to replace my very bright ceiling lights in rooms like the Kitchen where I need a clear, well illuminated view of what I'm doing. With the light sockets that are already there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depending on how many halogens you have, prepare for the room to become a fair bit colder!

Have they repackaged the mr16 style as gu10 then or is this a new bulb? Cause the gu10 i saw was 3.4 watts and only 140lm per watt which is rubbish.

All the stickers on the shelves referenced GU10 lights with 3.4 watts with 140lm for 5 euro. However, every light on the shelves there was GU10 4W 200lm for 5 euro. There were no MR16 lights available above 1W.. which was annoying as I wanted 8 for my families home.

Do you mean the light output 140lm is rubbish for watts? Do you have any links to better performance at comparable prices? I'd love to obviously get better ones for my other 6 lights if I can.
    JJJJNR wrote: »
    Does IKEA stock gu9 LED bulbs, mine are always failing.

I seen no GU9 lights, however I was not looking for them. I may have missed them but only remember seeing GU10, MR16 (very small output), E27, and another Esomething.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Depending on how many halogens you have, prepare for the room to become a fair bit colder!

Do you mean temperature wise because of the heat dissipation from the halogen lights?
    If so, Yeah i'm preferred for that. It's probably better that it happens and i learn to regulate my heating with my Gas rather than my electric by products!
    I have 6 more lights to replace. Shouldn't be too bad.

Do you mean temperature wise because of the heat dissipation from the halogen lights?
    If so, Yeah i'm preferred for that. It's probably better that it happens and i learn to regulate my heating with my Gas rather than my electric by products!
    I have 6 more lights to replace. Shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah. And yes, the gas is going to be cheaper and the room might not need cooling in summer (if you have any). I had 10 or so GU10 in the kitchen of my last house and the temperature drop when I went to LED in one go was drastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yeah. And yes, the gas is going to be cheaper and the room might not need cooling in summer (if you have any). I had 10 or so GU10 in the kitchen of my last house and the temperature drop when I went to LED in one go was drastic.

Not very many Irish houses with cooling. It's a major consideration in hotter climates though!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

Just converted all my MR16 to GU10 over the weekend. I needed to do it now as adding insulation in the comming weeks.
    I was able to purchase the new fitting from my local expert hardware for only €2! its the GU10 flex connector in the link.
    the attached link shows you how its done.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/LED-Spotlight-down-lighting-conversion-guide-for-GU10-and-MR16-/10000000177609363/g.html
    Has anyone used the GU10 LEDs from Dunnes?

Thanks

Rainer

Just converted all my MR16 to GU10 over the weekend. I needed to do it now as adding insulation in the comming weeks.
    I was able to purchase the new fitting from my local expert hardware for only €2! its the GU10 flex connector in the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/LED-Spotlight-down-lighting-conversion-guide-for-GU10-and-MR16-/10000000177609363/g.html

Thanks

Rainer

Thanks very much for posting that information. I need to do this to my families home who are MR16. This will really come in handy. Would you mind naming your local hardware expert just incase I can't find it locally myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

nonsense i have replaced 8 50W GU10s with 8 4W gu10s (more matchign 35W but 50W) were to bright and i'm more than happy with the performance

nonsense i have replaced 8 50W GU10s with 8 4W gu10s (more matching 35W, but 50W were too bright) and I'm more than happy with the performance

Oh I think he was referring to the room getting colder in temperature because the LEDs don't generate heat like the 50W Halogens do (enough to burn skin easily!)

• Advertisement

Oh I think he was referring to the room getting colder in temperature because the LEDs don't generate heat like the 50W Halogens do (enough to burn skin easily!)

Well colour is used a unit do descrbie the output from light

nonsense i have replaced 8 50W GU10s with 8 4W gu10s (more matchign 35W but 50W) were to bright and i'm more than happy with the performance

I was referring to temperature, clearly enough.

All the stickers on the shelves referenced GU10 lights with 3.4 watts with 140lm for 5 euro. However, every light on the shelves there was GU10 4W 200lm for 5 euro. There were no MR16 lights available above 1W.. which was annoying as I wanted 8 for my families home.

Do you mean the light output 140lm is rubbish for watts? Do you have any links to better performance at comparable prices? I'd love to obviously get better ones for my other 6 lights if I can.

Looks like they repackaged the mr16 chip on board as gu10 then 200 lumens for a fiver is decent for a gu10. Thats about the same as a decent 35w.

Saving 31w bulb pays for itself in 900 hours.

At 140lm the room would be very dark you'd want to be adding more lamps.

Thanks

Rainer
    if you were going to the trouble of changing the fitting anyway, you would have been much better off (imho) going with dedicated LED units with a proper heatsink rather than a GU10. they will be much cheaper and last much longer than the equiv. GU10 LED.

Thanks. Popped into that shop today whilst I was out in that area and got two of the flexi connectors. They do not have any more right now, but should have them back in on Friday

I picked a great 35W CFL which is 175W equiv Daylight color. Really needed something like this for my living room.

They had this great electric tap aswell. Has one set up on display out the back. Turn it on and hot water in 1-2 seconds. Was quite impressive.
    if you were going to the trouble of changing the fitting anyway, you would have been much better off (imho) going with dedicated LED units with a proper heatsink rather than a GU10. they will be much cheaper and last much longer than the equiv. GU10 LED.

I thought the idea of this was that the LED 12V MR16 bulbs are much more expensive than the GU10 lights? the GU10 lights will last 25,000 hours (according to packet). That's quite a long time. Do the MR16 last much longer?

i'm not talking about MR16 bulbs, i mean a dedicated sealed LED unit.

they're slightly bigger diameter than the GU10 socket, but considerably cheaper and have a big fat heatsink on the back to dissipate heat effectively and prolong the life of the lamp.

somehting like the ones listed in this post about the ibood LED's from the other day.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86794104&postcount=59

compared to GU10's they're significantly cheaper, with better output and a longer lifespan etc.

• Advertisement

i'm not talking about MR16 bulbs, i mean a dedicated sealed LED unit.

they're slightly bigger diameter than the GU10 socket, but considerably cheaper and have a big fat heatsink on the back to dissipate heat effectively and prolong the life of the lamp.

somehting like the ones listed in this post about the ibood LED's from the other day.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86794104&postcount=59

compared to GU10's they're significantly cheaper, with better output and a longer lifespan etc.

Is there any disadvantage to these? Do you know why they are cheaper than GU10 lights which seems to contain less materials(cost)?

They seem to tick alot of the boxes alright. I never came across them before.

Is there any disadvantage to these? Do you know why they are cheaper than GU10 lights which seems to contain less materials(cost)?

They seem to tick alot of the boxes alright. I never came across them before.

Downside is businesses and average home user will need a sparks to install, the expensive ones are very expensive as they are targetted at commercial rather than domestic market and the cheap ones are theusual gamble with chinese stuff - incorrect assembly, overdriven leds, scrapped leds from reputable companies, crude switching circuits, incorrect colour temperature, vastly overstated lumens output etc. etc. You never know what will turn up in the box. That applies to all the cheap bulbs too though, you have a greater chance of success with these because they have better cooling (if you look at even quality manufacturers e.g. philips the difference in lifespan @ 62, 72 and 82 celcius is huge and thats with a reputable supplier). There are lots of suppliers reselling these at several times the price. Obviously buy from a supplier with good reviews.

In the short term I think the likes of the new ikea gu10s manonboard found are ok at a fiver, spec is on the last page here:http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/pdf/light_energy_bulb/ledare_20130527.pdf
    In the next 2 years we should be seeing much better bulbs at sensible prices. What are the warranty details on those by the way manonboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bennyob

I have 4 of these on a strip in my kitchen for the last year or so. Very happy with them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006UR5IUY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

popped up to ikea today to finish off replacing the 6 GU10s i needed.

Just to let everyone know, they've refilled thier stock of MR16/GU5.3 lights. They had none for the last 2 weeks, but they have the 12volt ones in now @ 5euro. 3.8W, 200lum.

It's handier than picking up the connectors

Just incase it's not an isolated incident.

I've had bad experience with these MR16 LEDs from IKEA.

1 transformer seems to have completely broke, and 2 others seem to not fully ignite 2 of the bulbs.

We previously ran 50W MR16 for the last 8 years with no issues.

I don't know if the transformers are not suited or if it is bad bulbs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement