Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog poo.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

baaba maal wrote: »
    The ability of a council to name and shame people prosecuted under the Litter Pollution Act was removed by the Data Protection Commissioner. Where previously, councils could put an ad in the local papers listing the names and addresses of the offenders, this is no longer possible as it was deemed to be a misuse of the data. Ironically, the local papers can send a journalist to court, check through the records and print the details- the difference being that the council isn't publishing it. Ridiculous situation.

Ridiculous situation for sure!
    The local papers usually report on many other type prosecutions like speeding, drunk driving etc. it's strange the Data Protection Commissioner singled out the Litter Act and targeted the County Councils. No problem allowing the Revenue Commissioners publish lists of tax defaulters in the national newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

The difference between the council publishing fine details and names is that this is a private matter, court hearings are public.

However, Re: Joe, I am not saying you are wrong, but I personally have not seen any of these lists you speak of, and would assume if they do exist, it is the people who were taken to court who refused to pay the fines (drunk driving would result in a court appearance anyway, so I am speaking here about speeding since they just send you a fine and you can pay it without a court hearing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Karlitto wrote: »
    The difference between the council publishing fine details and names is that this is a private matter, court hearings are public.

Prosecutions are not private

However, Re: Joe, I am not saying you are wrong, but I personally have not seen any of these lists you speak of, and would assume if they do exist, it is the people who were taken to court who refused to pay the fines (drunk driving would result in a court appearance anyway, so I am speaking here about speeding since they just send you a fine and you can pay it without a court hearing)

Here's a prosecutions list from 2007

2007 list

Advertisement