Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming by-election in Meath East

Options
  • 23-03-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Apart from the candidates and their families and friends, does anyone care who is going to be elected? Do you really think that the eventual winner is going to make a difference to you personally or materially?
    You'll probably guess from the tone of my questions that my answer to those questions is "no".
    I have always made a point of voting and for the last number of elections I have avoided voting for two parties in particular. But after two years of this Government, I have come to what I suppose you could describe as a hackneyed conclusion which is that our political parties are all the same.
    I still intend voting but this time as a protest.
    So what do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, I'll feel a whole lot better if someone other than the FG candidate won.
    I'd predict FF, FG and Labour all take a serious hit, FG will probably win the seat but it'll be a wake up call, that said it'd be even better if SF or the likes of Ben Gilroy took it.

The above is just my opinion and I've been practicing for the FF, FG and Lapdog party call to my door, Alex Ferguson's hairdryer approach won't be a patch lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

i wont give ye my extened views on this here as i feel i would let all my inner rage come out... and i couldnt care less about who gets in... but i bet you my dinner that your FG one will get the sympathy vote and will be in like a shot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Thomas Byrne will get the highest possible number on my ballot paper (as far as I know he'll get my number 11 vote). I hope Fianna Fáil never get another vote after what they did to this country. I'd take a win by the Fine Gael or Labour candidate every time ahead of Fianna Fáil.
    My number 1 vote will more than likely go to Ben Gilroy. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Meath people will somehow forget about Fianna Fáil's actions over the past decade (and beyond) and vote Byrne back in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thomas Byrne will get the highest possible number on my ballot paper (as far as I know he'll get my number 11 vote). I hope Fianna Fáil never get another vote after what they did to this country. I'd take a win by the Fine Gael or Labour candidate every time ahead of Fianna Fáil.
    My number 1 vote will more than likely go to Ben Gilroy. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Meath people will somehow forget about Fianna Fáil's actions over the past decade (and beyond) and vote Byrne back in.

If you absolutely and definitely don't want anyone to get anything from your vote, you shouldn't stick them down on your ballot paper at all. A high number, while very unlikely to help a candidate, is still better for them than no vote at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'm registered to vote in a different constituency but Fianna Fáil better not win the seat.

I understand with your sentiment OP but I'd vote any random independent before I'd spoil my vote.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »

If you absolutely and definitely don't want anyone to get anything from your vote, you shouldn't stick them down on your ballot paper at all. A high number, while very unlikely to help a candidate, is still better for them than no vote at all.
    There are 11 candidates in the by election (I think). If you give a candidate number 11, it is impossible for this vote to help them in any way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

There are 11 candidates in the by election (I think). If you give a candidate number 11, it is impossible for this vote to help them in any way.

Is there not always a potential for transfers, slim as it may be?

The whole "proportional representation" was all explained to me once before, when I used to do exactly what you are talking about. Now maybe it's a moot point if you are voting for every single candidate, but given I struggle to even vote for one or two people these days, I certainly wouldn't want people I don't like getting my #3, #4, #5 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 scano001

Until FF provide an honest (that will be a first) and sincere apology for the damage they did to the fabric of this country through their crony-ism, corruption and ineptness, I will never vote for them again. In many respects they have blood on their hands of many a poor individuals that was pushed over the edge due to despair. Despair caused by the circumstances they found themselves in, which was created by FF in government. I don't particularly like Enda Kenny, but he is better than what went before. I don't care who takes the seat once it is not T Byrne.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Is there not always a potential for transfers, slim as it may be?

The whole "proportional representation" was all explained to me once before, when I used to do exactly what you are talking about. Now maybe it's a moot point if you are voting for every single candidate, but given I struggle to even vote for one or two people these days, I certainly wouldn't want people I don't like getting my #3, #4, #5 etc.
    Not if you put a number beside each candidate. If I gave him number 10 out of 11, there would be a tiny chance alright.
    But putting no number beside him is basically the same alright, especially if you put a number beside every other candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I can only hope whatshername doesn't get in. She has about as much intellect as a dust mite. Jaysus any ejit but her, please!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

Why not have a Unionist candidate in East Meath. if SinnFein can stand in Northern Ireland elections, why not a Unionist candidate in Meath.

opawaman wrote: »
    Why not have a Unionist candidate in East Meath. if SinnFein can stand in Northern Ireland elections, why not a Unionist candidate in Meath.

I know you are taking the piss with that question, but I'll answer you anyway.

I guess the DUP and UUP etc. are not especially interested in winning a seat in Meath East. They'd need to register a candidate here in the first place which I wouldn't imagine would happen.

I also guess that the people of Meath East are not especially interested in unionist politics.

Why do you ask as a matter of interest?

When i was in the east Meath area last year and asked some locals about the situation regarding Northern Ireland i was amazed at the amount of Anti-IRA venom expressed in the local pubs. Made me think a Unionist candidate would do quite well in the area.

When i was in the east Meath area last year and asked some locals about the situation regarding Northern Ireland i was amazed at the amount of Anti-IRA venom expressed in the local pubs. Made me think a Unionist candidate would do quite well in the area.

Why were you amazed at that?

Being anti-IRA doesn't equate to being unionist.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

expressed in the local pubs.

Think that says it all......

Yes i was being flippant, But i do find a lot of Irish people especially those living in the UK and commonwealth nations would prefer to see a closer relationship between the republic and these nations. There are over a million Irish born living in the UK with possibly another million in OZ and kiwiland plus Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

So the people have spoken...well, about 35% of the electorate, which translates as about maybe 15% of the population of the constituency. With that 15% spreading their choices over 11 candidates that means that the successful candidate with have the direct backing of something around 5% of the people in the area.
    Which means that around 95% of the people in Meath East will have had no input in awarding those generous salary and pension entitlements to the person who is supposedly going to be representing them.
    Not that the new T.D. will be too worried about that.
    It'a funny ol' world...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mick ah

I hope Gilroy gets it. At least he'd be something different for a change.

If people can't be bothered voting, then they can't complain about whoever gets elected. Well they can complain I suppose, but it's a bit hypocritical imo if they didn't get out and vote.

I'll never, ever understand the apathy to voting in this country. We're lucky to live in a democracy, yet it seems two thirds of the population can't be arsed exercising a right that people would - and have - died to achieve.

Looks like it'll be another McEntee if the tallies are anything to go by. Not exactly ideal but the lesser of two evils in my view if it's between herself and Byrne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Daughter gets fathers seat. /'reland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Access wrote: »
    i wont give ye my extened views on this here as i feel i would let all my inner rage come out... and i couldnt care less about who gets in... but i bet you my dinner that your FG one will get the sympathy vote and will be in like a shot.

...And my dinner is safe. She is in like flynn.

Not exactly happy about it, but a least byrne didnt get in... i would rather place my hands into an industrial shredder then vote for FF ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

FF didn't win :D

FG win :(

I guess it could have been worse. But only by a little.

FF/FG - Two cheeks of the same arse. But I have a particular dislike for one of those cheeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Back to the Senate for Thomas Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Labour scores only 4.5 %
    So, maybe there is a God after all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

FF didn't win :D

Oh, they won alright :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's an amazing result TBH, a Government Party candidate taking a by election seat. Good luck to her and I hope she serves her constituency well.

I can't believe the amount of people that still voted FF, 33% which is one third of voters. FFS have these people no memory? Do they not look back a few short years to the mess that Fianna Fáil left the country in? Do they forget and forgive the croneyism and corruption that is rampant in Fianna Fáil? Hard to believe that so many people could vote for the gangsters that nearly destroyed this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭paul71

It's an amazing result TBH, a Government Party candidate taking a by election seat. Good luck to her and I hope she serves her constituency well.

I can't believe the amount of people that still voted FF, 33% which is one third of voters. FFS have these people no memory? Do they not look back a few short years to the mess that Fianna Fáil left the country in? Do they forget and forgive the croneyism and corruption that is rampant in Fianna Fáil? Hard to believe that so many people could vote for the gangsters that nearly destroyed this country.

The mindset of FF is almost like a cult religion. I remember being at a wedding in Trim about 12 years back and the father of the groom stood up and launched into a speech about FF and how great they were, it went on for about 25 minutes and I clearly remember that he did not even welcome the bride to the family. Most of us were so stunned that we forgot about the bet on the time for the speeches until the next morning.

There is nothing rational or logical about FF voting and I personally will never understand it, but I do fear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Obviously not but FG are the exact same. Meath could have send out a message to FG but now all we will hear from FF, sorry I mean FG is how justified that they were in making the various cuts and how much people are behind them. TBH I am not surprised by the result, Meath people are not sharpest out here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Meath Irish people are not sharpest out here :D

TBH while I was disappointed at the result there weren't a lot of options, FF (nuff said), FG (liars, with pants on fire), Labour (worse again), SF (no thanks), DDI and the others would've been my preference but most are unknown and therefore would've had an uphill battle for votes. Getting very frustrated with our system, I despair where the next general election will bring us (back into the arms of FF from what I'm reading :(). No wonder we're fcuked.

Advertisement