Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing IP camera on outside network

Options
  • 23-03-2013 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

I bought a cheap Shinntto IP camera (same as Wanscam) I have got it to work on LAN and on my home network with my smartphone but I think I need a DDNS site to view it from elsewhere. Is there any free ones. My broadband modem does not have a static address I have read I might need one, is there a way of getting one without paying an extra monthly fee. I am using it as a security camera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

AFAIK most of the free ones require to you manually confirm that you need it watch, http://dyn.com/dns/ for $25 a year gives a great service and well worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    AFAIK most of the free ones require to you manually confirm that you need it watch, http://dyn.com/dns/ for $25 a year gives a great service and well worth the money[/QUOT
    I saw that site which was once free and the lowest price now $25 I was weighing it up against paying 3.99 a month extra to Vodafone at home for a static IP address

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe you could connect to your home PC with TeamViewer (there's an Android app and a portable version) either to directly view the cam or to find the current IP if it changes often.

edit: or maybe a motion-detection system that will FTP images to a remote site (also a good idea in case your home PC is robbed !) that you can access from elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

go to www.noip.com , you can set up a free ddns from there.thats what i'm using. dont use .org in your ddns,seems to be a bug in it. go with .biz

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

hallo dare wrote: »
    go to www.noip.com , you can set up a free ddns from there.thats what i'm using. dont use .org in your ddns,seems to be a bug in it. go with .biz

.org works fine. Using it for months for my FTP server.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

strange,it wouldn't work for me or two of my mates.there's also a few internet articles on it also.

hallo dare wrote: »
    strange,it wouldn't work for me or two of my mates.there's also a few internet articles on it also.

Must look into that. So far its never let me down anyways so I'm not too worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

ED E wrote: »
    my FTP server.
    What do you do with this??

What do you do with this??

Move files to the other half's house mainly.

Advertisement