Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite item in your collection

• 23-03-2013 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭

What piece of retro gaming that you own makes you the happiest?

An item which makes you smile ever time you see it.

Anything from 60Hz switches to your holy grail get.

For me it's my Grandstand Astro Warriors handheld.
    It's probably more the sentimental attachment as I got it for Christmas when I was young.

It has a few battle scars but I'd never part with it.
    Still has the local shop's small foil sticker on the back.

So whats yours?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Legend of Dragoon, because it reminds me of ho bad games can get.

Other than that it's probably my Virtual Boy. Just love the console and it's not something everyone has experienced either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

My Hyper Duel and Batrider PCB's for the arcade side. Complete NTSC-J Namco Museum set plus bento box, Den Dwn No Den (PC Engine), Border Down and Blast Wind in my console collection. And finally my superplay collection of DVD's, VHS and Laserdiscs. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My SF2 Champions Edition and Time Crisis Arcade Cabs, if i had a time machine, could travel back and tell my younger self id own them one day, i wouldnt believe me. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Can only get it down to three.

SNK Candy 25 cab (With Alien Versus Predator CPS2 board!)

Sonic Crackers prototype

Original Megadrive console I've had since I was 8 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

My MKII cab, because feckin yes, that's why!
    Also, there are plenty of PS2 games in my collection that make me smile every time I see them. Sometimes I hug them... ya know... when nobody is watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Whirlwind pinball puts a smile on my face everytime I open the door to the spare room.
    Love my bubble bobble pcb too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Vectrex, one of the few that still work, is my favourite console, it was the stuff of unattainable dreams when it launched and I own one.
    For games, that's a toughy...
    It's possibly a throw down between Wipeout 2097, Robotron and Tempest 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

This will probably sound a bit rubbish and it's not even a rare game but I've had this cart for 20 years or so, Paperboy on gameboy.

Sure the cart has seen better days, the box and manual are long gone but I'll never throw it out or get rid of it. Still play it regularly though can't get past Wednesday anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Without doubt, my signed 2600 carts, in particular Adventure signed by warren robinett and Halo 2600 signed by Eddy Fries ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Probably my lovely boxed, with the map and all, pokemon green on the game boy. Not particularly rare or expensive but I do love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

<3 my Saturn with the 3D controller
    I can't pick just one game though Sonic Jam or Nights into Dreams

tumblr_lr4wf5vD241qew09z.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Oh lovely question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sonic Jam, that is a fantastic game alright, pity it was never bettered, I'm looking at you Sonic collection on the DS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I dont know what mine is really. my original Mega Drive is very dear to me. Some of the rarer game I have wouldnt be as important to me some of my favourite games, like Shinobi III and Metal Gear Solid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Gamecube_zps7f3e09bd.jpg
    My GameCube.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Other than my cab, there are three items I have that I would never part with as they have a lot of sentimental value to me (no point selling either as they're not worth anything anyway I'm guessing :pac:).

1. Aliens pcb by Konami.

I played this religiously during college. Back then I had no idea what Jamma was or that sitting inside the woody cab was a little green board with a bunch of chips on it producing this awesome game. As a skint student it also helped that I could finish both loops on a single 10p and my initials were always top of the high scores. Not the first pcb I owned but the first I actively sought out and bought. We probably all have at least one game in our collection that you never get bored of, no matter how many times you've played it - this is mine.

zlJsoyA.jpg

2. Batman on the Game Boy.

Other than Tetris, Batman was one of my favourite GB games, a great little action platformer. The one GB game I had to buy again when rebuilding my collection.

FsHKr1Y.jpg

mQWwoau.jpg

3. Street Fighter 2 Expert Player's Handbook.

Back in the days of no internet when most gaming knowledge came from C&VG and such magazines, I remember buying this chap. I had the SNES steel box version of SF2 Turbo at the time so had to get it. It says 1993 inside the cover so I'm guessing it was around then that I got it, Sera and Atavan probably still in nappies at that stage!
    It has tons of tips and techniques for each character and some artwork. Mentions the new characters in Super SF2 which had just come out in the arcades. Few pages at the back about the tournament 'scene' in California too. It never made me any better at the game though, a decidedly average player. :D

vPvUkuI.jpg

C33PgIS.jpg

6xAbA5p.jpg

AI0otAm.jpg

aW0kTqt.jpg

ctBK4jS.jpg

NK3wRl6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

Keithgeo do you have the time crisis cab long was it expensive

Only have it about a month, came with no game or gun, I have both now, though the gun isnt working yet so I have a new gun drive board on the way. The cab wasnt expensive less than 200. The system 22 game was about 150 and the gun i paid 120 for, the gun drive another 50. So im in for 520 so far and its not working yet!

Still ill get it going and it will be worth it! Its such a tease looking at the game running on screen and the gun not working!! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

keithgeo wrote: »
    Only have it about a month, came with no game or gun, I have both now, though the gun isnt working yet so I have a new gun drive board on the way. The cab wasnt expensive less than 200. The system 22 game was about 150 and the gun i paid 120 for, the gun drive another 50. So im in for 520 so far and its not working yet!

Still ill get it going and it will be worth it! Its such a tease looking at the game running on screen and the gun not working!! :pac:

Speaking of Time Crisis, presume you saw this sale already?

Time Crisis 2 + Harness + Guns + boards:
    http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23708
    Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/23f16hpc710nndz/VDQ-4Dcp0F

Was €400 yesterday, €300 today.

• Advertisement

Yeh i seen that, its a different setup, gun drive etc. Ive spent enough already trying to get this one going, ill stick with 1 for now, plus thats the one i loved playing in the arcades anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

For me I can only pick my current favorite hardware. I don't think I could pick a game I own that would be my favorite, it's just too hard.

So my Egret 3 candy cab and my Apple I would be top of my list.

I've also amassed a large quantity of Darius Alpha's but thats mainly a sickness rather than anything else. I've got even more copies of it now since I last posted on the forums here regularly :0/
    I'd love to know if I have the most copies in the world, but there must be someone out there sicker than I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very difficult one to do, pick a favourite. Personally speaking, my favourite items tend to be ones that I attach a lot of nostalgic value to, rather than monetary value. Cheap, common & very available things in my collection stand out to me like my cib LttP. I enjoy knowing thats there, rather than things like my Wily Wars or other more valuable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Arcade :

Mushihimesama
    Futari 1.5 has a better scoring system, Ketsui more interesting bullet patterns but the art style, music and setting of Mushi somehow keeps me coming back to it .

DSCF4782.jpg

PCB is in the Cab as usual :pac:

Ketsui is a close second though and maybe a better game .

DSCF4998.jpg

Console wise my extremely yellowed Dreamcast :

DSCF1143.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Still not as yellow as some of the SNESes turning up on adverts.

Still not as yellow as some of the SNESes turning up on adverts.

I think they are "old toilet seat amber" going by the Dulux colour swatch, same place as you'll find "baby vomit green" and "Guinness poo black"

Advertisement