Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outdoor carcoon

• 23-03-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

I'm looking to get an outdoor carcoon or car capsule for my classic

Id like a system that has a fixed structure that you can drive into

Has anyone any experience of using an outdoor system, Ive used car covers before but have gone through a few of them over the years as the wind rips them to pieces

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

Anyone using this type of cover thought id have a few answers by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭mustang68

I've had a carcoon for a while, but haven't used it in a few years as the car is now garaged.

Pros:
    Car is dry (which is the point)
    battery stays charged
    doesn't blow away
    No one knows what is under it

Cons:
    It won't dry a very wet car
    it is a bit of an ordeal to put it in/out
    you can't leave it deflated with nothing in it, it will blow away
    I had to put some tape on the areas of the car that rubbed against the cover in the wind
    it is heavy to move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

mustang68 wrote: »
    I've had a carcoon for a while, but haven't used it in a few years as the car is now garaged.

Pros:
    Car is dry (which is the point)
    battery stays charged
    doesn't blow away
    No one knows what is under it

Cons:
    It won't dry a very wet car
    it is a bit of an ordeal to put it in/out
    you can't leave it deflated with nothing in it, it will blow away
    I had to put some tape on the areas of the car that rubbed against the cover in the wind
    it is heavy to move
    Hi,

Where did it rub off the car? I'm getting my car painted and the last thing I want is for it to be damaged!
    What size carcoon was it and what size car had you in it.

Thanks,
    Neil.

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi,

Where did it rub off the car? I'm getting my car painted and the last thing I want is for it to be damaged!
    What size carcoon was it and what size car had you in it.

Thanks,
    Neil.

68 Coupe Mustang. The Carcoon was more than big enough but when it was very windy, the way it was situated, the pokey out bit at the rear left above the brake lights had the cover rubbing around it. I covered it with a towel and the problem stopped. I could have stopped it before damage occurred but I was getting it painted.

did you have an outdoor model (the silver one)
    do you still have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've an indoor one that I've used both in a garage and under a shed with one open side. What I do is I've made up Guy Ropes (from an old sweeping brush handle) and tie the top cover onto the rafters using the hooks on top. This has the advantage of keeping the cover tight (stopping it shaking) and when I want to use the car, I just unzip and lift with the guy ropes.

ianobrien any pictures that sounds like a setup I could use
    Do you have the carcoon long how much did you pay for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Merl1n wrote: »
    ianobrien any pictures that sounds like a setup I could use
    Do you have the carcoon long how much did you pay for it

I have it about 7 years now. I ordered it from Carcoon themselves and I can't remember the price.....

Edit - No pictures I'm afraid. To make your guy ropes, just ask anybody who is in the Scouts. That's where I learned to make mine.

have you been using it for the last 7 years without any problems

did you have an outdoor model (the silver one)
    do you still have it

yep the silver one with the two skins. Still have it in the attic, hasn't been out in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Has anyone any experience of using an outdoor system, Ive used car covers before but have gone through a few of them over the years as the wind rips them to pieces

I've used an outdoor carcoon (under a carport) for the past few years (6 or 7 at this stage?) and it's been mostly positive - I had to get the top section repaired last year following UV damage (the silver fabric went brittle and tore in a couple of places). Sent it back to carcoon and they stitched new fabric onto the whole top section.

It's a bit of a faff to get the car in and out of, but miles better than 'regular' car covers if rust/exposure/etc are your concern. The cover has stood up really well to the elements and no sign of deterioration to the (rust prone) car.

Advertisement