Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom has dropped alarmingly since recent installation

• 23-03-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

As above. I was on Three dongle-ness for a couple of years and was delighted to find out recently that I have line-of-sight to a Ripplecom mast. The installation was excellent and I got 7.7mbps d/load on that day, around 2.5 that evening and for about a week. Acceptable from where I was coming from....

Now I struggle to get 0.4 d/load day or night, meanwhile upload is twice that and more! Ping is good at 55-75ish. (using Magnet just as installer did)

Rang them with a 'nice' call on Thursday, I got 'well our engineers will be right onto it' garb/crapp.....

What's going on??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

thers loads of threads about that crowd on boards. loads of people with the same problem. just seem lijke a bad supplier. I was almost going to go with them also but went with my gut feeling. best thing to do is file a complaint with ripplecom about the poor service,if it doesnt improve then go to comreg and say your not getting the service you were promised and get away from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

test at 22.22 Saturday:

56ms ping
    166kbps down
    923kbps up

Quite normal for the last week, if a little worse.

hallo dare wrote: »
    thers loads of threads about that crowd on boards. loads of people with the same problem. just seem lijke a bad supplier. I was almost going to go with them also but went with my gut feeling. best thing to do is file a complaint with ripplecom about the poor service,if it doesnt improve then go to comreg and say your not getting the service you were promised and get away from them

Thanks. Trouble is, I don't have anywhere else to go.....I'm ~2km outside the 01 phone area and ~40km from the capital city of this great country.

Dr. Nick wrote: »

Thanks. Trouble is, I don't have anywhere else to go.....I'm ~2km outside the 01 phone area and ~40km from the capital city of this great country.

and i'm in the arsehole of a bog getting better covergae than you. there's loads of options. have you tried mobile broadband,i'm on meteor and able to play ps3,download movies,stream,no hassle. your pings very good but the rest is dirt

Was on three, and was quite happy with it until recently. Dongle outside in a Tupperware connected to router inside. Ripplecom now back to the worst of three, but how can the speeds change so alarmingly within a week of installation?

• Advertisement

congestion,the mast serves a number of customers,so they are all probably suffering like you also.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,130 ✭✭✭✭beertons

You have 30 days to cancel, from the date of signing over. I would cancel and go back to the dongle. Maybe try irish broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Digiweb Metro? Net1? Both would have better reputations than Ripplecom on boards.

Digiweb Metro? Net1? Both would have better reputations than Ripplecom on boards.

No and no to those, not available here unfortunately. My only other option is satellite and that ain't gonna happen with the latency but esp. the caps.

4G some day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What about Imagine WiMax?

Had it in Maynooth and it worked fine, 90%+ of the time.

Was able to play games and download no bother. Upload was diabolical but rest was fine.

• Advertisement

All's good. Seems the 'essential maintenance' they told me about actually WAS essential.

@19.58 this evening:
    down: 6.4
    up: .929
    ping: 43

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

where are you Dr. Nick?
    If you're in Meath region, the upgrades haven't been completed yet due to weather, outsourcing work, etc. We're getting a new transmitter/mast seemingly and some of us are getting redirected to it, to alleviate congestion in the area.
    I'm no fan of ripplecom myself, but it seems like they are trying to sort the problem.
    FYI: my broadband has been under 1M download for the past few weeks too. Dire.

Chef-1st wrote: »
    where are you Dr. Nick?
    If you're in Meath region, the upgrades haven't been completed yet due to weather, outsourcing work, etc. We're getting a new transmitter/mast seemingly and some of us are getting redirected to it, to alleviate congestion in the area.
    I'm no fan of ripplecom myself, but it seems like they are trying to sort the problem.

Hi Chef - yes I'm in Meath (service is coming from the Tara mast) and it looks like I spoke too soon.....the service was back to absolutely dire this morning.

I'll check again when I get home, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I too am in the same situation, But I'm further down in Kildare. 2 months and I get about 1meg, where as for the past few years I got a constant 5.5meg, bar the odd glitch here and there. Until this debacle, I couldn't complain too much. But I have to say, my patience is pretty much as thin as floss at this stage.

It was fine again last night so I'm not sure where they stand on the maintenance. Yesterday morning I got a ping of 1667 and d/load of 275!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

I posted this in another thread earlier

Did someone forget to feed the hamster or put 50c in the meter, because here in Longwood in County Meath the connection has been absolutely horrific since late last night. Can't even do a full speed test, I attempted one earlier and after ranging from 4kbps to 50kbps it eventually threw the towel in after 20% of the test.

Usual 20 odd minutes on hold to speak to someone.

Ripplecom are a great bunch of lads

124uc0w.png

That's a wee insight into my current speed.
    The 20 odd minutes i said I was on the phone, I forgot to say the call wasn't answered and the message hasn't been responded to.
    I'm on here via vodafone live on my phone by the way

All's well again this evening here...
    2609273924.png
    2609280146.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

124uc0w.png

That's a wee insight into my current speed.
    The 20 odd minutes i said I was on the phone, I forgot to say the call wasn't answered and the message hasn't been responded to.
    I'm on here via vodafone live on my phone by the way

I think their phone system is set on a timer for business hours and they "forget" to change it for holidays. Same thing happened to me yesterday when I called and sometime last year.

Saturday night.....keep it up Ripplecom
    2611574612.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭marcel353

where are you Dr. Nick?

Hi Chef-1st,

Do you know more about the location of the new mast by any chance?
    Had to quit Ripplecom recently (was on Saggart mast) because the service had gone really erratic since January. They haven't mentioned an upcoming upgrade in the area to me.

I must say that I was happy with the service before that. I have no LOS to Tara or Kilmartin so options are currently limited.

Thanks,

M

I currently do not know the location of the new mast. Due to the bad weather and some other installation issues, it was postponed last week. I think it's going ahead this week though. I'm in Longwood, and my LOS is to the Rathmolyon mast. That is all I can tell you. What I do know is I'll be re-directed to this mast when it is operational. So it must be near enough me.

BTW...There have been a lot of maintenance and upgrades done to the Saggart mast recently from what I can see from their info emails.

My BB has been disgraceful too, sometimes it's so slow, speedtest just times out. But then other times it's fine @ 5M down, 1M up.
    I never get more than 5M on the 8M package though. Very hit and miss. Most of March was a disgrace with 0.5M download.
    They have assured me the new mast will solve the problems. We'll see. I've been told this so many times, it's hard to stay positive with their service. Such a pity Digiweb don't branch out from Trim down to this area.

I currently do not know the location of the new mast. Due to the bad weather and some other installation issues, it was postponed last week. I think it's going ahead this week though. I'm in Longwood, and my LOS is to the Rathmolyon mast. That is all I can tell you. What I do know is I'll be re-directed to this mast when it is operational. So it must be near enough me.

BTW...There have been a lot of maintenance and upgrades done to the Saggart mast recently from what I can see from their info emails.

My BB has been disgraceful too, sometimes it's so slow, speedtest just times out. But then other times it's fine @ 5M down, 1M up.
    I never get more than 5M on the 8M package though. Very hit and miss. Most of March was a disgrace with 0.5M download.
    They have assured me the new mast will solve the problems. We'll see. I've been told this so many times, it's hard to stay positive with their service. Such a pity Digiweb don't branch out from Trim down to this area.
    5M down in Longwood??? I've never been over 1M :(

Lubo - you are kdding me aren't you? Are you on the 2M or 8M package?
    If you're on the 8M package you'd want to to seriously consider not paying them any more, and get on to them about very slow speeds.
    I would refuse to pay them until the issue was resloved.
    If you're on the 2M package - well, it is "up to" 2M, I don't think you have much of a case there.
    The new mast night improve things for our area.

Lubo - you are kdding me aren't you? Are you on the 2M or 8M package?
    If you're on the 8M package you'd want to to seriously consider not paying them any more, and get on to them about very slow speeds.
    I would refuse to pay them until the issue was resloved.
    If you're on the 2M package - well, it is "up to" 2M, I don't think you have much of a case there.
    The new mast night improve things for our area.
    As far as i know it's 8M, it's €44.99 per month i think

Lubo, that is shocking. Why are you still paying them?
    You really need to get on to them if you're only getting 1M on the 8M package.
    Even in the congested evenings I'm getting more than that (well, on a good night).
    You could have a poor or diminishing signal to the mast.
    Are there trees in the way? Are you in a dip? What did the installer say on the signal strength? PM me if you want.

When they re-direct you, this may improve your speeds a lot.
    Have you heard anything new from ripplecom about the mast install?

2641687620.png

Advertisement