Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reminiscing mini 'Heat Wave' March 2012

Options
  • 23-03-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

This time last year Ireland entered a mini spring 'Heat Wave'. From 24th March 2012 onwards, Highs ranged from 17-22c for few days which is phenomenal for Ireland in March!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056564325&page=18

Right now I'm praying for double figures, 10c be heatwave compared to forecast high tomorrow :( (2-3c)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Depressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Ah God one of the happiest weeks of my life that mini heatwave. Final year in college was winding down and the stress of final exams just seemed to fade away in the warm March sun hangin out with friends on the green. Happy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

My wife had our twin babys then ,quick year ,then two week later there was snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I got sun burned this time last year and made a snow ball yesterday ..mad

• Registered Users Posts: 31,924 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

All but 3 girls in my course ditched their I.T. Class and headed out to 40 foot. The water was colder than they bargained for and one of the girls who couldn't swim got herself in to slight difficulty. Good memories!
    I also remember it as the week I tore a muscle in my toe and couldn't walk properly. I spent most of my week sun bathing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Those were the days my friend, we'd thought they'd never end....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The one week we had some decent weather last year ..... and I was in Malta for a week's holiday. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

I have a feeling that were in for a cracking summer, were long overdue it and this year will be the year IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This day last year. Warm southeasterlies, warm high teen temps, warm everything:

246423.png

This day this year, cold east north easterlies, biting wind chill, sleety snow flurries, high fuel costs, unending, unnerving winter:

246424.png

Images from Vedur.is.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I was up in Donegal and the weather was AMAZING. Had such a great time too. Ah, memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We had a snow morning the week after this mini heat wave, iirc. Give me some more prolonged heat than last year though thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hopefully we are not due one of these. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Did it bypass Cork city? I genuinely don't remember the weather being anything special about last March. :confused:

Heroditas wrote: »
    The one week we had some decent weather last year ..... and I was in Malta for a week's holiday. :mad:

There was a very hot 4-5 day period in May.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0528/322714-stunning-photo-of-cloud-free-ireland-released/

29c was hit in Mayo that weekend. This period of weather was far more memorable for me than March 2012.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0528/322714-stunning-photo-of-cloud-free-ireland-released/

29c was hit in Mayo that weekend. This period of weather was far more memorable for me than March 2012.

from what I remember that warm spell was far cooler here in the east than in the west with temperatures genearlly 21-23c so was kinda forgotten about around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I certainly hope we don't get a heatwave in late May this year! Last summer was officially the worst since 1985 and both 1985 and 2012 had very similar hot spells towards the end of May.......... coincidence?

Gonzo wrote: »
    from what I remember that warm spell was far cooler here in the east than in the west with temperatures genearlly 21-23c so was kinda forgotten about around these parts.

Yeah, that's very likely though it would still have been very pleasant nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Did it bypass Cork city? I genuinely don't remember the weather being anything special about last March. :confused:

You must have spent a week in the bunker then.:eek:

johnayo wrote: »
    You must have spent a week in the bunker then.:eek:

Looked up the recorded temps for Cork City in March 2012. One day hit 19c, other than that, nothing special. 19c doesn't seem that great to me for March since experiencing 18c in January 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

had two barbecues all of last year. one in march, the other in august. one in march was great, lookin forward to a great summer. hoping for the reverse this year....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I certainly hope we don't get a heatwave in late May this year!

The warm spell last May was very brief. May 2008 however was a different story, it was almost consistently warm with temps reaching 20-23C from as early as the 6th. An absolutely glorious month, and unfortunately the last of its kind to date.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 31,924 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The final two weeks of May in 2009 were scorching hot. I always refer to it as the "Volvo Ocean Race Weather". I remember saying to my Mam that I'd need a gallon of water at the Elton John concert on the 6th of June to stay hydrated. It turned out to be the most rainy, miserable night of the month.

Advertisement