Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would you call the new Liffey Bridge after ?

• 24-03-2013 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Dublin City Council are currently accepting submissions to name the new bridge at Marlboroough Street which is due to open to buses in Autumn and eventually the Luas link-up.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0322/377906-dublin-bridge-name/

So who would you name the new bridge after ? DCC have stated that they wish for the person to be deceased for at least 20 years. That aside I would have said Ronnie Drew. But Luke Kelly is an equally valid choice.

Dermot Morgan is only deceased 15 years but I think he is another person who is well deserving of the bridge being named after him.

Submissions can be made to DCC by writing or emailing- Cllr Dermot Lacey c/o Culture, Recreation and Amenity Department, Civic Offices, Dublin 8 or email cra@dublincity.ie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Phil Lynott. Everyone loves Philo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Doesn't fit in with their policy of deceased 20 years, but I'd go with Maeve Binchy personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

MarkMc wrote: »
    Doesn't fit in with their policy of deceased 20 years, but I'd go with Maeve Binchy personally

She was my first thought also. And it would be a female name - a first if i'm not mistaken?

Theres two others, Anna Livia and I cant remember the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the 'bang bang' bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

My first choice would be Philly Hughes :D

But I think, Luke Kelly would be a more objective choice ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    My first choice would be Philly Hughes :D

I second this vote :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Another vote for Philo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Luke Kelly and Ronnie Drew getting mentioned, what about Brian Warfield if we're going for folk singers even though he is still alive. Eamon De Valera would be another shout as for someone so influential in our independence and shaping modern Ireland there's a distinct lack of monuments of him and streets named after him compared to every other leader of 1916 and the War of Independence.

Interestingly in a poll in An Phoblacht last October. Edward Carson got 60%, Elizabeth O'Farrell 22.1%, James Connolly 12%, Tony Gregory 4.6%, Maeve Binchy 1.3%.

I understand this poll was likely to have been hijacked by unionists giving it highly unlikely that An Phoblacht readers would vote for Carson in such large numbers. Carson was born on Harcourt St in Dublin so qualifies as a Dubliner and his legacy during the early twentieth century for better or worse left a lasting impact upon this island. Speaking as a republican, I do think that naming a bridge in Dublins city centre after such a prominent unionist from Dublin would be a major outreach for unionists in the north east corner of Ireland. If all goes to plan then Dublin will return to being their capital city so this would go a long way to showing them that we republicans respect them and they are welcome in Dublin and that the tricolour represents both republicans and unionists in equal measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Mary Mc Aleese was all about "building bridges." Too soon perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Heffos Bridge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Luke Kelly already has a bridge in Ballybough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Phil Lynott. Everyone loves Philo.

I don't. Great, great musician, but a drug addict too. Not some one to be naming a bridge after imo. I hate this habit that we Irish have of sanitizing peoples lives after they have died, as if how they actually lived their lives had no relevance. I know that I am going to get absolutely slammed for this opinion, but there you go ! :rolleyes:

This 20 year rule is balls imo. Name the bridge after Kevin Heffernan and have done with it. A Dub who did more to put this dirty old town on the map, and make Dubs feel like their hearts would burst out of their chests with pride at being Dubs, more than any other person has, before or since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I don't. Great, great musician, but a drug addict too. Not some one to be naming a bridge after imo..

Given that the bridge will connect pearse street to marlborough street a heroin addict will be perfect choice to name it after :)

No one has a squeaky clean history. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

As it's the centenary of the 1913 lockout how about 'The Big Jim Larkin' Bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Tk Whittaker who took the incentive to change the economic policy that has given Ireland it's modern economy. I know is still alive ( at 96) but he has contributed more than the Irish people than a poet, writer or singer.

hfallada wrote: »
    Tk Whittaker who took the incentive to change the economic policy that has given Ireland it's modern economy. I know is still alive ( at 96) but he has contributed more than the Irish people than a poet, writer or singer.

He's not from Dublin.

It should be a female and the centenary of the 1913 lockout should be relevant to the naming. Hence: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rosie-Hackett-Bridge-Campaign/109664749219687

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Scrap the 20 year rule.....ronny drew....all the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The Craig Doyle bridge.
    A national treasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I don't. Great, great musician, but a drug addict too. Not some one to be naming a bridge after imo. I hate this habit that we Irish have of sanitizing peoples lives after they have died, as if how they actually lived their lives had no relevance. I know that I am going to get absolutely slammed for this opinion, but there you go ! :rolleyes:

Phil Lynott had relevance, he put this city on the map musical wise before the likes of U2 came along. Their private lives should not come into it when deciding on their artistic ability.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He's not from Dublin.

Nor was Butt, Fr.Matthew, O Donavan Rossa, O Connell or Mellows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

saint brigid's

humberklog wrote: »
    Nor was Butt, Fr.Matthew, O Donavan Rossa, O Connell or Mellows.

Might as well give a Dub a shot so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Oscar Wilde would be a popular choice and in keeping with the recent naming of bridges after the writers Joyce and Beckett. Phil Lynott was the singer in a mediocre 70s pub rock band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

i think it would be a fitting tribute to name it after the late Tony Gregory.

latenia wrote: »
    Oscar Wilde would be a popular choice and in keeping with the recent naming of bridges after the writers Joyce and Beckett. Phil Lynott was the singer in a mediocre 70s pub rock band.

Nice choice with Wilde. I don't think Phil Lynott would be a good choice either but I wouldn't necessarily call them a mediocre band even tho they ain't my cup of tea either

Wilde, Beckett and Joyce lived most of their lives outside this country and none are buried here.

• Advertisement

Wilde, Beckett and Joyce lived most of their lives outside this country and none are buried here.

I don't know if that would be a big deal for many people, it wouldn't for myself and it hasn't come up in conversations I've had recently with other people either.

The Mad Mattress Mick bridge?

I don't know if that would be a big deal for many people, it wouldn't for myself and it hasn't come up in conversations I've had recently with other people either.

It has now. What's the point of naming a bridge after someone who if they were alive would only walk across it whilst on holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Beckett already has a bridge named after him :)(if we're talking about the same one!)

I'd rather national\city infrastructure be named after recent icons(even if dead 20 years) rather than icons from a hundred plus years ago in order to reflect our recent history as there has been feck all recognition of city heroes in the modern era.

It has now. What's the point of naming a bridge after someone who if they were alive would only walk across it whilst on holidays?

It simply wouldn't bother me, I just wouldn't care. I can't make it more plane or emotional than that really.

Personally I'd like it called Diceman's Bridge. After a Scottish gentleman:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

The bobby sands bridge. Theres streets named after him in lybia,cuba and other places in the world but nothing here in our own country which is a crying shame.

newbie2013 wrote: »
    The bobby sands bridge. Theres streets named after him in lybia,cuba and other places in the world but nothing here in our own country which is a crying shame.

In Tehran too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Brush Sheils' Bridge.

Personally I'd like it called Diceman's Bridge. After a Scottish gentleman:eek:

I'd rather that than Oscar Wilde. At least the Diceman was a city character. Surely a statue would be more fitting for him? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Weathering wrote: »

In Tehran too
    & Paris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Oscar Wilde is already on an Irish Ferry.

Naming bridges after people is silly IMO. A random non personal name would be far better IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The New Bridge, which is what people will call it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

newbie2013 wrote: »

Hardly appropriate to call a bridge after the like of him, in a country that is supposedly attempting to foster reconcilliation!

Hardly appropriate to call a bridge after the like of him, in a country that is supposedly attempting to foster reconcilliation!

I dunno, the "like" of you could walk across the bobby sands bridge and get over it :)

lugs brannigan bridge

the royston brady memorial bridge

Royston is worth remembering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

In line with current government policy of exporting our young people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No argument from me there. Probably did more to improve the lives of the people who actually live in the area that the bridge is in, than any other person, living or dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

The seanie fifz memorial bridge. They can build the frame then stop work halfway through & leave it sitting derelict for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nay to naming it after a politician

Bambi wrote: »
    Royston is worth remembering

for being an embarrassment

actually, how about naming it after the homeless lad that died recently

• Advertisement
Advertisement