Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would you call the new Liffey Bridge after ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't know if that would be a big deal for many people, it wouldn't for myself and it hasn't come up in conversations I've had recently with other people either.

It has now. What's the point of naming a bridge after someone who if they were alive would only walk across it whilst on holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Beckett already has a bridge named after him :)(if we're talking about the same one!)

I'd rather national\city infrastructure be named after recent icons(even if dead 20 years) rather than icons from a hundred plus years ago in order to reflect our recent history as there has been feck all recognition of city heroes in the modern era.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    It has now. What's the point of naming a bridge after someone who if they were alive would only walk across it whilst on holidays?

It simply wouldn't bother me, I just wouldn't care. I can't make it more plane or emotional than that really.

Personally I'd like it called Diceman's Bridge. After a Scottish gentleman:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

The bobby sands bridge. Theres streets named after him in lybia,cuba and other places in the world but nothing here in our own country which is a crying shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

newbie2013 wrote: »
    The bobby sands bridge. Theres streets named after him in lybia,cuba and other places in the world but nothing here in our own country which is a crying shame.

In Tehran too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Brush Sheils' Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

humberklog wrote: »
    Personally I'd like it called Diceman's Bridge. After a Scottish gentleman:eek:

I'd rather that than Oscar Wilde. At least the Diceman was a city character. Surely a statue would be more fitting for him? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Weathering wrote: »

In Tehran too
    & Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Oscar Wilde is already on an Irish Ferry.

Naming bridges after people is silly IMO. A random non personal name would be far better IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The New Bridge, which is what people will call it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

newbie2013 wrote: »

Hardly appropriate to call a bridge after the like of him, in a country that is supposedly attempting to foster reconcilliation!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hardly appropriate to call a bridge after the like of him, in a country that is supposedly attempting to foster reconcilliation!

I dunno, the "like" of you could walk across the bobby sands bridge and get over it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

lugs brannigan bridge

the royston brady memorial bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Royston is worth remembering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Wilde, Beckett and Joyce lived most of their lives outside this country and none are buried here.

In line with current government policy of exporting our young people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

i think it would be a fitting tribute to name it after the late Tony Gregory.

No argument from me there. Probably did more to improve the lives of the people who actually live in the area that the bridge is in, than any other person, living or dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

The seanie fifz memorial bridge. They can build the frame then stop work halfway through & leave it sitting derelict for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

i think it would be a fitting tribute to name it after the late Tony Gregory.

Nay to naming it after a politician

Bambi wrote: »
    Royston is worth remembering

for being an embarrassment

actually, how about naming it after the homeless lad that died recently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No argument from me there. Probably did more to improve the lives of the people who actually live in the area that the bridge is in, than any other person, living or dead.

Absolutely. When Tony Gregory first became a TD the north inner city was a slum blighted by heroin, unemployment and generational deprivation; by the time of his death it was...oh wait a minute. Well he did get them a couple of community centres and taught the locals that sticking your hand out and demanding stuff from the government was the best way to improve their lot. The man was an urban gombeen fraudster in the very worst Irish tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Name it after one of the women in Irish history.

Does Anne Devlin, Robert Emmets loyal servant who didn't give him up despite horrible torture of her and her family (I think at least one died in jail) have anything named after her?

She is also to thank for a lot of the history we have about that time, she survived and was interviewed by Dr Madden later on.

What about Constance Markavitch? (I mangled that spelling).

I'd also like to see it named after John Mitchell, an under appreciated patriot IMO.

Or let's just call it the Citizen Army bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

latenia wrote: »

Absolutely. When Tony Gregory first became a TD the north inner city was a slum blighted by heroin, unemployment and generational deprivation; by the time of his death it was...oh wait a minute. Well he did get them a couple of community centres and taught the locals that sticking your hand out and demanding stuff from the government was the best way to improve their lot. The man was an urban gombeen fraudster in the very worst Irish tradition.
    I take it you didn't know the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

The Irish Rugby Teams Carrer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Do people actually care about who the bridge is named after? Why does it have to be named after anyone? It's not like naming the bridge after someone will keep them in peoples memories. I don't know half the people that have bridges named after them in Dublin and I don't know half the people that have been named in this thread and naming the bridge after them is not going to make me care about what that person did when they were alive. A load of fuss for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

The Derek Zoolander bridge for people who can't swim good

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bertie Ahern Peace Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Daniel Day Luas bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I honestly wish it was just called the marlborough street bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

RATM wrote: »
    Dublin City Council are currently accepting submissions to name the new bridge at Marlboroough Street which is due to open to buses in Autumn and eventually the Luas link-up.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0322/377906-dublin-bridge-name/

So who would you name the new bridge after ? DCC have stated that they wish for the person to be deceased for at least 20 years. That aside I would have said Ronnie Drew. But Luke Kelly is an equally valid choice.

Dermot Morgan is only deceased 15 years but I think he is another person who is well deserving of the bridge being named after him.

Submissions can be made to DCC by writing or emailing- Cllr Dermot Lacey c/o Culture, Recreation and Amenity Department, Civic Offices, Dublin 8 or email cra@dublincity.ie.
    Mickser Reid bridge!

Advertisement