Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would you call the new Liffey Bridge after ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

GRMA wrote: »
    I take it you didn't know the man.

I do know he operated as a clientelist TD as much as any Fianna Fáiler. You want something done, you go ask Tony Gregory and in return you vote for him. I also know certain people connected to him were put at the top of the housing list despite not meeting the normal criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

actually, how about naming it after the homeless lad that died recently

Homeless lad doesnt have a good ring to it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Toshi101 wrote: »
    The Derek Zoolander bridge for people who can't swim good

.........and we have ourselves a winner ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Phil Lynott. Everyone loves Philo.

I'd go for that too. It seems as of late the naming convention is to name Liffey bridges for Dubliners who have made significant contributions to the arts who have been dead for over 20 years.

Either the Phil Lynott Bridge or the Luke Kelly Bridge would satisfy those criteria in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

Bertie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Daniel Day Luas bridge.

Or, to make it even easier for us Dubs, Deluas Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

"up the ra"?

so just take the next left and go on up the ra and turn right again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The bridge in over the Tolka in Ballybough is called the Luke Kelly bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

how about the 'austerity bridge'

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

bridge over troubled water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Since its going to be a vey big bridge why don't we call it bridgette?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

We some name this "Celtic Tiger Bridge" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Robbie keane :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm ignoring some of the guidelines here, but we have a long list of talented Dubliners and of course people not from Dublin that ad or added to the flavour of the city.

Bram Stoker Bridge
    Louis le Brocquy Bridge
    Francis Bacon Bridge
    Johnathan Swift Bridge
    Captain Bligh (not a Dub, but had a massive influence on our bay)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

con1421 wrote: »
    Robbie keane :-)
    Ever since he was a young lad in Tallaght he's dreamed of playing for Liverpool playing for Celtic playing for Spurs having a bridge named after him!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Hardly appropriate to call a bridge after the like of him, in a country that is supposedly attempting to foster reconcilliation!

Sums up the mentality of people down here 'the like of him'

Yes i undersrand weve moved on but it would be a great tribute to name something like this after a guy who stood foe alot and is down in irish history as a brave man. Not many people would do what he done

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I know nobody will support me on this but..

Sir William Rowan Hamilton

It's about time we started honouring great Irish scientists as well not just writers. This bridge is meant to carry Luas BXD which will extend the Luas to Broombridge where he discovered quaternions and carved it on a stone on Broombridge which believe it or not changed our lives, much more than Binchy did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

actually, how about naming it after the homeless lad that died recently
    Nice ring to that.
    What about "The homeless guy who jumped into the liffey to save his pet rabbit bridge"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Leave it out.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

How about the JobBridge?
    newbie2013 wrote: »
    The bobby sands bridge. Theres streets named after him in lybia,cuba and other places in the world but nothing here in our own country which is a crying shame.

All of which are progressive liberal democracies. It would be quite nice to walk all over Bobby Sands though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Sums up the mentality of people down here 'the like of him'

Yes i undersrand weve moved on but it would be a great tribute to name something like this after a guy who stood foe alot and is down in irish history as a brave man psycho-terrorist. Not many people would do what he done,
    Yes most decent people would not have done what he done, in fact they didn't!
    If we want to name it after someone who had a positive effect on the Island , call it John Hume bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yes most decent people would not have done what he done, in fact they didn't!
    If we want to name it after someone who had a positive effect on the Island , call it John Hume bridge.

Stoopsbridge has a ring to it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bridget

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Oscar Wilde is already on an Irish Ferry.

Naming bridges after people is silly IMO. A random non personal name would be far better IMO.

The link between north and south interconnector bridge. Super cool.
    Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I know nobody will support me on this but..

Sir William Rowan Hamilton

It's about time we started honouring great Irish scientists as well not just writers. This bridge is meant to carry Luas BXD which will extend the Luas to Broombridge where he discovered quaternions and carved it on a stone on Broombridge which believe it or not changed our lives, much more than Binchy did too.

But Phil Lynott sang well man! I like your idea, you should submit it. William Dargan gets a mention on a luas bridge, the other William should too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

gurramok wrote: »
    Beckett already has a bridge named after him :)(if we're talking about the same one!)

I'd rather national\city infrastructure be named after recent icons(even if dead 20 years) rather than icons from a hundred plus years ago in order to reflect our recent history as there has been feck all recognition of city heroes in the modern era.

Couldn't agree more with this. I saw the campaign to call it after Rosie Hackett and my first reaction was "Who?". I'm sure Rosie did a lot of good but I think it should be named after someone more recently deceased and someone who has had an impact on the lives of Dubliners who are actually alive today.

I think Phil Lynott is a good pick, though some might say he is already remembered by his statue off Grafton Street.

Personally I'd be in favour of calling it the Dermot Morgan bridge- it is difficult to think of anyone who has a bigger influence on Irish culture over the last few decades. He was also universally liked by all, except for Charlie Haughey and his cronies. The only tribute the city has made to Dermot is that feckin chair in Merrion Square, an area which the vast majority of Dubs never visit. Naming the bridge after him would be a fitting tribute and you'd be hard pressed to find a choice that would be less polarising that Dermot Morgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

errlloyd wrote: »
    I honestly wish it was just called the marlborough street bridge.

After the Marlboro Man ? What did he ever do for Dublin ? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

dsmythy wrote: »
    But Phil Lynott sang well man! I like your idea, you should submit it. William Dargan gets a mention on a luas bridge, the other William should too.

I have half of the form filled out, it's a pain to fill out on the computer but I'm definitely nominating Hamilton. True and there's also a railway bridge in Belfast named after Dargan! If only he could see the state of Irish railways now..

Also, as harsh as it sounds bridges and monuments have to sound good. We can't name a major bridge over the Liffery the Binchy Bridge..Hamilton Bridge on the other hand sounds much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Bambi wrote: »
    Given that the bridge will connect pearse street to marlborough street a heroin addict will be perfect choice to name it after :)
    The Bridge of Highs!

A bridge really needs to be named after a female in this city. It's pretty disgraceful that we don't have one bridge named after a woman.

My vote would be for Lady Gregory. It's at Marlborough St and leads up to the Abbey. Lady Gregory's bridge has a nice ring to it too.

Grace O'Malley would be my second preference!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Why do we need to name the bridge after one person ? why dont they call it the peoples bridge after the citizens of the city ?

Advertisement