Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would you call the new Liffey Bridge after ?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Morag wrote: »
    Yes it is.

Not only is it not the first bridge to be named after a woman, its not even the only current bridge named after a woman.

It is the fifth Liffey bridge named after a woman. Other Liffey bridges have been named after Queen Maeve, Queen Victory, Sarah Countess of Westmorlen, and Anna Livia.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

We should be locking out some of those councillors

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ridiculous choice imo. Greatest respect for Rosie, whoever the heck she is. But it's a bit mad to name the bridge after someone that 99.9% of Dubliners (never mind the rest of the island ) have never even heard of ! :rolleyes:

Am all for NOT naming it after yet another one of our Anglo Irish betters, who deigned to mingle with us common riff raff. But surely there is someone out there who isn't of old Ascendency stock, that the average Dub can think of with fondness & respect, without having to resort to Google first to find out who they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Zaph wrote: »
    Yeah, I know, but seriously who the fcuk is she? The vast majority of people have never heard of her, or the other woman who came second in the vote. If they wanted to name it after a woman why not Constance Markievicz or Maud Gonne or Lady Gregory, or basically someone who people have actually heard of?

Surely you have missed the point of commemoration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

vicwatson wrote: »
    Rosie Hackett me bolli* should have been Bram Stoker.

Well given that the party with the most seats on the council is Labour, its not much of a surprise that the bridge was called after a trade unionist - the only one on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ridiculous choice imo. Greatest respect for Rosie, whoever the heck she is. But it's a bit mad to name the bridge after someone that 99.9% of Dubliners (never mind the rest of the island ) have never even heard of ! :rolleyes:

Am all for NOT naming it after yet another one of our Anglo Irish betters, who deigned to mingle with us common riff raff. But surely there is someone out there who isn't of old Ascendency stock, that the average Dub can think of with fondness & respect, without having to resort to Google first to find out who they are?

Willie Bermingham,late DFB fireman who founded the ALONE charity and volunteered his free time to help the poor of the city that the govt didn't (and still don't) give two shíts about fit the bill perfectly.

http://alone.ie/willie-bermingham/

No surprise Labour had their way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

It's Dublin's bridge. Why didn't Dubliners get to decide?

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

errlloyd wrote: »
    Not only is it not the first bridge to be named after a woman, its not even the only current bridge named after a woman.

It is the fifth Liffey bridge named after a woman. Other Liffey bridges have been named after Queen Maeve, Queen Victory, Sarah Countess of Westmorlen, and Anna Livia.
    :confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Delighted its named after rosie hackett, sure to wind up certain people but thats all good too.
    Willie birmingham would have been a good choice too.

Ye couldnt put it to a vote because theres loadsa proud dubs out there who would have wanted to call it the sir Alex ferguson bridge or some such

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

named after a union leader, ugh, and ITGWU no less. A union (now SIPTU) that generally does its best to put its own interests ahead of PT and infrastructure use. Must be a bit of an in-joke I reckon.

Whatever is wrong with Marlborough St Bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

named after a union leader, ugh, and ITGWU no less. A union (now SIPTU) that generally does its best to put its own interests ahead of PT and infrastructure use. Must be a bit of an in-joke I reckon.

It's a bit of a mouthful!

I think it's great that it's named after Rosie Hackett - I had not idea who she was before this campaign but now that I know, I am glad that she is not being forgotten about, There were countless people who did more than any one of us have ever done for our country and it is a great idea IMO to give some recognition to at least one of them.

Willie Bermingham would have been a good choice too.

Also, I'd be fairly confident in saying that a large number of Dubs wouldn't know who Willie Bermingham or even Bram Stoker was; no matter who was chosen there would always be an element of WTF from some corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

To be fair, whatever your opinion of SIPTU today, the ITGWU were fighting an worthy battle on behalf of Dublin workers during Rosies's time. Although I think Fr Jack Hackett would have been a more recognisable name for most of the cities population today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Surely you have missed the point of commemoration.

But surely you've missed the point.

The bridge is a public landmark, and should be named as such.

By naming it after someone nobody has ever heard of (or 99% of the population, at a conservative guess) the councillors have missed an opportunity to enhance a public landmark.

This shouldnt be a commemoration. The Hackett family would be quite happy with a plaque on Moore St I'd imagine. And who else cares.

This should be about creating a public landmark.

Everyone knows the Samuel Beckett bridge because they know Samuel Beckett.

The other contemporaty bridges in Dublin - at Busarus and at Stoneybatter - who know what they are called? Or the footbridge in the IFSC. I've no doubt they are named after someone.....but I just call them the Busarus bridge and so on.

To be honest, this shows me how councillors are out of tune with (I) the public and (II) modern commercial values.

They could have named it the Maeve Binchy Bridge, or the Maureen O'Hara bridge......and thousands of tourists would be interested in seeing it.

EDIT: Massive egg on face - stoneybatter bridge is the James Joyce bridge.....but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

They should have named it The Zumo Bishop Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Tombo2001 wrote: »

The other contemporaty bridges in Dublin - at Busarus and at Stoneybatter - who know what they are called? Or the footbridge in the IFSC. I've no doubt they are named after someone.....but I just call them the Busarus bridge and so on.

Footbridge at the IFSC is the Seán O'Casey Bridge.

The bridge at Busáras (or Custom House Quay) is the Talbot memorial Bridge.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Bambi wrote: »
    Delighted its named after rosie hackett, sure to wind up certain people but thats all good too.
    Willie birmingham would have been a good choice too.

Ye couldnt put it to a vote because theres loadsa proud dubs out there who would have wanted to call it the sir Alex ferguson bridge or some such

wayne bridge.

Advertisement