Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend broadway show?

• 24-03-2013 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi

Myself and my OH are going to New York in April and hoping to see a Broadway show whilst there. Can anyone recommend one to see? Is Rock of Ages any good?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I saw Rock of Ages in NY last year. It's a very different show to what you might expect from a regular musical. The audience is very much involved with the cast from the get-go, the characters wander up and down the aisles, there are waiters who will bring you drinks the whole way through the show. The thing that I found the strangest was the size of the theatre... it's really small compared to most theatres... I would guess it probably seats 500 people max?

Saying that, the show is seriously high energy and thoroughly enjoyable. The cast encourage you to drink and enjoy. You can't not sing and bop about in your seat. And everyone is in character from the moment you step inside the doors; the bathroom attendants, the person showing you to your seat, the waiters... it's surreal but brilliant! So much fun! Plus it appears on the discount boards pretty much every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Steed

Hi,
    Wicked is supposed to be the biz. My sis seen it a few years back and highly recommended it. Rock of Ages is good I heard and Spiderman now that they've sorted out all the glitches

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

thank you for your replies, will look into suggestions further!

Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I saw Wicked & Billy Elliot on Broadway two years ago - highly recommend them. Spamalot is also great fun.

Good tip though - there is a ticket booth in Times Square, where you queue and get a blind choice of tickets for the show of your choice - as they are trying to fill the theatres the tickets are discounted, so great value to be had if you don't care where you sit.
    My brother saw 4 or 5 shows in a 4 day period using this method and the total of his tickets was the same as the 6 tickets I bought in advance for myself and my parents!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Same as the last poster, I cannot recommend the TKTS booth enough. You can download the app before you travel and it'll give you an idea of what's on each day. I saw four shows in the space of a week last year. When I got home and calculated the cost of the various seats I had gotten I had saved over $350.

Just be warned though, there are three big shows that will never appear on the discount board: Book of Mormon, Wicked and the Lion King. These are the most popular shows on Broadway. You may be able to get tickets for them at the actual theatres but they will be expensive.

Sister Act is a riot (I didn't see it on Broadway though) and is completely different to the movie. I also saw Mamma Mia there last year which was fun. Once is the big one, having won the Tony last year. Phantom is a classic (I've seen it twice, though not on Broadway). Jersey Boys is also pretty popular.

It all depends on what you like really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

Saw The Lion King and Wicked with the girlfriend in November. We both thought that Wicked was miles more fun, and really really worth the ticket price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

If JERSEY BOYS is still playing, DO NOT MISS IT.
    Saw it myself a couple of years ago and loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 STAR2011

Saw Wicked and Billy Elliot on Broadway - go see Wicked! Go to the theatre the morning of the show where they sell the first 10 rows at the door! They are expensive but the show is amazing! BE is also brillant but if you are only going to one show make it Wicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

Thanks for all your replies, will research the shows recommended!

Advertisement