Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays for storage heater in common area of apartment block?

Options
  • 24-03-2013 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Not sure if you can help me with this but I'll give it a go. Moved into a new apartment at the beginning of February. There are only 6 apartments in my block and there are lights and one storage heater in the common area (staircase with landings at each level). The common area storage heater is beside the door into my apartment and would be back to back with my own sitting room storage heater. I just got my first ESB bill for February only for €71. While thats not too bad, my water heating wasn't working at night for all of February (the thermostat had gone in the night heating part of the cylinder) and my main storage heater in the sitting room wasn't (and still isn't) working. Yet,  I had more night units used then day units so I'm quite confused as to where all the night units came from. I presumed that the common area in apartment blocks would have its own meter, but I'm wondering now if maybe the hallway storage heater is hooked up to my apartments meter (it was off when I moved in but I turned it on hoping it might help warm up my apartment which is quite cold due to my heater not working). Do you know would it be the norm for each apartment block to have a separate meter for the common area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes normally the common areas have a meter for the landlord supply. Usually beside the other meters, and should be marked as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Thanks, that what I was hoping. Just trying to come up with a solution as to why I have so many night units considering the main users of night units, my water heating and main storage heater weren't working. I do have a smaller storage heater in the hallway of my apartment which I did have on for a few nights, but not many. Haven't been able to check the electricity meters to check there is one for the apartment block as I don't have a triangle key but I'll borrow one during the week to check it out. 

Also, another question for electric Ireland. I'm on the DG1 rate, MCC02 Day/NightHour, does that mean all electricity used between 11am-8am is on the reduced rate or is it just certain appliances (i.e. the storage heater and water heater)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi QuiteInterestin,
    Also, another question for electric Ireland. I'm on the DG1 rate, MCC02 Day/NightHour, does that mean all electricity used between 11am-8am is on the reduced rate or is it just certain appliances (i.e. the storage heater and water heater)?

Yes, that's correct. All electricity used during the hours of 11pm - 8am (or 12am - 9am in summertime) would be charged at the reduced night rate. This link should also provide you with some useful information.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David

Advertisement