Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you advise as to my best strategy for using snapnames to catch expiring, parked

Options
  • 24-03-2013 7:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi Blacknight,

Apologies if this is not the correct place to ask. I thought ye might be the best people to give me advice. I already have a couple of domain names registered with ye. There is one that I want which hasn't been active for a couple of years. I tried to catch it a few years ago, but it seemed to have been snapped up by someone else who just put it on a parking site. The same thing happened then two years later.

From searching on here, you seem to recommend snapnames. The whois details of the domain I would like include:

[font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif]Created On: 05-Apr-2011 00:00:00
    Expiration Date: 05-Apr-2013 00:00:00
    Name Server: ns1.sedoparking.com
    Name Server: ns2.sedoparking.com
    [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Record dates:[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Record created on: 2011-04-05 18:15:07 UTC[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Record modified on: 2013-03-03 06:17:01 UTC[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Record expires on: 2013-04-05 UTC[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/font]

Would I be correct in assuming that his looks like it is going to expire again soon? If so, what is my best strategy for obtaining it? I can click on a "Backorder" button on the snapnames site, but when is a good time to do this? Should I wait until after 5th April? Or do I have to monitor it until the status changes? If I backorder now, will it be public that someone has bid on the site, which would possible alert the current owners of the name that someone else wants it!

The site used to point to a genuine site and had peoples names as the registrants. I was watching it as it came up to expiry, then it changed but I couldn't catch it. Then it went to a parking site with different details. When it expired again, it seemed to have been snapped up by another company and put on a parking site. I guess that they are just automated squatters.

Also, it says minimum bid is $69. Do you know whether, if I backorder now and the bid is unsuccessful, or the current "owners" renew, will I still be charged? I am ok with paying the 69 if I get the name, as much as I hate to do it, but I would be really annoyed if I didn't get it and they still charged me the $69 as a fee or something.

Thank you very much for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There's no guarantee that the domain won't be renewed, so the backorder options etc., might not work.

If you really want to acquire the domain try this: http://www.afternic.com/plander.php?rid=64260&name=cooldomain.tld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Blacknight wrote: »
    There's no guarantee that the domain won't be renewed, so the backorder options etc., might not work.

If you really want to acquire the domain try this: http://www.afternic.com/plander.php?rid=64260&name=cooldomain.tld
    hi again Blacknight.

I submitted a backorder on snapnames for the name I was looking at but unfortunately it looked like it was renewed. 

Then today I spotted that it is up for auction on godaddy.com with a starting bid of $500.

As I am new to all this, I was wondering whether this might be a popular strategy, for the previous owner or maybe even the domain registrar to extend registration for a year and then try to auction it off. And then start by setting a high reserve.

The auction ends in about 2 weeks i think. It said zero views until I looked at it (and then put up another few views by refreshing...). $500 is a bit too rich for my blood as a starting bid.

Obviously you don't know anything about the name, but in your experience is this a usual strategy? I'm thinking that if i take a chance on it and see if the auction will run out, they may relist it with a lower starting bid. If it goes at $500, I won't be too disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It probably wasn't "renewed" - all gTLDs have an "auto-renew" which allows you the time to pay for the renewal of a domain...

Generally the domains don't go to auction unless they've been dropped by the registrant.

You might be lucky and it might be deleted entirely, but $500 is a pretty low figure for a domain on the aftermarket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Blacknight wrote: »
    It probably wasn't "renewed" - all gTLDs have an "auto-renew" which allows you the time to pay for the renewal of a domain...

Generally the domains don't go to auction unless they've been dropped by the registrant.

You might be lucky and it might be deleted entirely, but $500 is a pretty low figure for a domain on the aftermarket
    Great. Thanks for the useful info. No wonder these people squat on names if they can get $500 for them!!

The "whois" now says registered until April 2014. Does that mean it wouldn't be deleted entirely either way for about 12 months?

It's parked with some company called "sedoparking". They also have a page that I can click on to "make offer". Would that point more towards a private seller than a registrar?

Advertisement