Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to work nightsaver

Options
  • 24-03-2013 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Only just discovered I have nightsaver tech installed :rolleyes:

Anyhow - I don't know how to work it - including pic - can anyone explain what the day and night dials work, what the numbers mean (-4, -2, +2, +4 - and for the day dial 'constant'), what that led's mean

It has been set as you see in the pic since I moved here (I only spotted the teeny dials yesterday :rolleyes:
    )

How should I set it to reduce bills ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi opinion guy,

With household appliances, including storage heaters, it's always best to refer to the manufacturer guidelines or user manual if you have it. If you don't, your next best option is to run a search for the make/model of the storage heater and you should be able to locate the user manual online (usually in pdf).

Based on the image you've attached, I'll provide what answers I can to your questions. 
    can anyone explain what the day and night dials work, what the numbers mean (-4, -2, +2, +4 - and for the day dial 'constant'), what that led's mean

The LED would indicate at which 'rate' (assuming you have a day/night (Nightsaver) meter installed - see here) the storage heater is currently operating. In the attached image, it appears to be operating at the day rate (which is more expensive).

In terms of electricity use, the worst possible setting is to have the day dial turned to 'constant' - this should only be used if the heat built up during the night (and released during the day) is insufficient and a 'boost' is required.

The numbers (-4, -2, +2, +4) would refer to the heat settings - the higher the setting, the hotter the output (and the more energy it uses). You can find some useful generic storage heater information in this wikipedia entry.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Hi opinion guy,

With household appliances, including storage heaters, it's always best to refer to the manufacturer guidelines or user manual if you have it. If you don't, your next best option is to run a search for the make/model of the storage heater and you should be able to locate the user manual online (usually in pdf).

Based on the image you've attached, I'll provide what answers I can to your questions. 

The LED would indicate at which 'rate' (assuming you have a day/night (Nightsaver) meter installed - see here) the storage heater is currently operating. In the attached image, it appears to be operating at the day rate (which is more expensive).

In terms of electricity use, the worst possible setting is to have the day dial turned to 'constant' - this should only be used if the heat built up during the night (and released during the day) is insufficient and a 'boost' is required.

The numbers (-4, -2, +2, +4) would refer to the heat settings - the higher the setting, the hotter the output (and the more energy it uses). You can find some useful generic storage heater information in this wikipedia entry.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

David
    David thanks but you misunderstand

The picture is not of the storage heater - these is the electricity box where all my fuses etc are stored. This is some sort of timer on the electricity supply itself - thats why I'm asking you here. I don't have any instrcution manual and I don't see any obvious make on the box

Hi opinion guy,

The answers I've given above should still apply.
    This is some sort of timer on the electricity supply itself - thats why I'm asking you here.

Just to note: the electricity supply (i.e. the main ESB meter where your units are clocked up) is different from the fuse board, which is the domain of the electrician and not something we can generally advise on as an electricity supplier. Your best bet in this case is to contact an electrician or ask for advice in the Electrical forum.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David

Hi opinion guy,

The answers I've given above should still apply. 

Just to note: the electricity supply (i.e. the main ESB meter where your units are clocked up) is different from the fuse board, which is the domain of the electrician and not something we can generally advise on as an electricity supplier. Your best bet in this case is to contact an electrician or ask for advice in the Electrical forum.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David

Sorry yes is the fuse board

David that forum link gives me a 404 error Edit: - ok is working now

Besdies I think this does fall within your remit here - this is the fuse box.

What I don't understand here is the concept of setting a 'strength' on my electricity at night/day. Surely the supply is either on or off. What doe sit mean to turn my night timer to -2 and my day timer to +4 ??? Again - this is on the fuse box not an actuall appliance

• Advertisement

David that forum link gives me a 404 error

Apologies, I've edited the link now.
    Besdies I think this does fall within your remit here - this is the fuse box.
    I can only reiterate what I've said above, and assure you I would never shirk something within my remit. In any case, I've given what answers I can already.
    What I don't understand here is the concept of setting a 'strength' on my electricity at night/day. Surely the supply is either on or off.

The electricity supply is either on or off, yes. But what you have pictured is not the electricity supply - it is part of the fuse board designed to control storage heaters (appliances which should have corresponding 'strength' settings). This would have been installed by an electrician rather than ESB Networks, which is why I've advised that in this case an electrician would be the best person to consult.

I regret that I can't be of more assistance in this instance.

Regards,

David

Apologies, I've edited the link now.

I can only reiterate what I've said above, and assure you I would never shirk something within my remit. In any case, I've given what answers I can already.

The electricity supply is either on or off, yes. But what you have pictured is not the electricity supply - it is part of the fuse board designed to control storage heaters (appliances which should have corresponding 'strength' settings). This would have been installed by an electrician rather than ESB Networks, which is why I've advised that in this case an electrician would be the best person to consult.

I regret that I can't be of more assistance in this instance.

Regards,

David

Ok thanks David - sorry I slightly misunderstood your previous post.
    Ok I will ask elsewhere.

Thanks opinion guy, I hope you manage to get further clarification on this.

All the best,

David

Advertisement