Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I haven't received property tax letter yet

Options
  • 24-03-2013 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭

My old man received his property tax letter on Wednesday 6th but as of today we still haven't received ours.
    I thought these we all already posted out over a week ago so am wondering what I should do ?
    Has anyone else not received the letter yet?
    An Post are supposed to deliver within a couple of days nationwide and its far past that now here so am a little concerned.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

No sign of mine yet either, I'm in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Less than half gone out yet. Give them a chance - there's 1.6million of them - that takes a lot of time to printing and fold and envelope.
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/half-of-property-tax-forms-issued.html

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Can't wait to get mine, I'm really looking forward to burning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ah thanks guys, I was under the impression they were all bulk mailed at the same time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Check any other addresses that you've had in the past. Our letter went to the wife at the mother in law's address. She hasn't lived there since early 2006. For the record, we paid the Household Charge, so they have our details.

I think this operation is being run very badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

We got one during the week addressed to the owner from 7years ago, we've paid the household charge and nppr in our names attached to this property so you'd think they'd know who owns it! Have to stick the letter back in the post box with a 'not at this address', who knows when we'll get our letter now

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check any other addresses that you've had in the past. Our letter went to the wife at the mother in law's address. She hasn't lived there since early 2006. For the record, we paid the Household Charge, so they have our details.

I think this operation is being run very badly.
    This may be down to your wife having post going to the MIL's address. Another letter may be winging it's way to your address.

We got one during the week addressed to the owner from 7years ago, we've paid the household charge and nppr in our names attached to this property so you'd think they'd know who owns it! Have to stick the letter back in the post box with a 'not at this address', who knows when we'll get our letter now

Our names are not updated on the land registry yet but the sale was register on the Property Price register so I assume they have our names.

I wonder what people should do if the mail is addressed to the last owners?, legally you aren't allow open someone else's mail..even if it should have your name on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Supercell wrote: »
    I wonder what people should do if the mail is addressed to the last owners?, legally you aren't allow open someone else's mail..even if it should have your name on it!
    I don't know if it matters since the person the letter is addressed to's PPSN number will get charged the amount at which time they will contact the revenue office to get the amount removed while telling them who it should be charged too thus the money will be collected off the correct person one way or another. It is just delaying the inevitable. Plus people are being told to contact the revenue office if they have not received a letter.

I received mine the other day in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My Dad's came to his business rather than home. I know he paid his household charge and the receipts (they sent many of them) were sent to home.

I know lots of my friends have not got theirs yet.

• Advertisement

To save any confusion you can contact Revenue to tell them you are liable. They will find out eventually - so you may as well do it now so you can spread the payments if you want to. Better than being hit with a bill in December?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Mine was online as I'm registered for PAYE Online. It was painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

efb wrote: »
    Mine was online as I'm registered for PAYE Online. It was painless.

Whereas I'm registered for PAYE Online, have used it in the past two months, and haven't received anything via email or post.

Victor wrote: »
    This may be down to your wife having post going to the MIL's address. Another letter may be winging it's way to your address.
    No, all post got redirected in 2006. There may be another letter coming this way, I'll keep an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

MYOB wrote: »
    Whereas I'm registered for PAYE Online, have used it in the past two months, and haven't received anything via email or post.

It's in PAYE online not your own email

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

efb wrote: »
    It's in PAYE online not your own email

That's a fairly useful way to ensure people don't actually notice it...

Will go dig up my PIN later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

My old man received his property tax letter on Wednesday 6th but as of today we still haven't received ours.
    I thought these we all already posted out over a week ago so am wondering what I should do ?
    Has anyone else not received the letter yet?
    An Post are supposed to deliver within a couple of days nationwide and its far past that now here so am a little concerned.

I think that means you don't have to pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

God doesn't anyone bother to read the Revenue website. It's pretty much the first thing mentioned.

Revenue will write to residential property owners over a four week period commencing on 11 March enclosing an LPT Return and a detailed guide to Local Property Tax. Due to the volume of correspondence involved, the distribution process will take approximately four weeks.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

God doesn't anyone bother to read the Revenue website. It's pretty much the first thing mentioned.

Revenue will write to residential property owners over a four week period commencing on 11 March enclosing an LPT Return and a detailed guide to Local Property Tax. Due to the volume of correspondence involved, the distribution process will take approximately four weeks.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/index.html

They are sending them to the address they have you registered under for your tax returns, even if the house you own is a different address.

I've seen example!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    They are sending them to the address they have you registered under for your tax returns, even if the house you own is a different address.

I've seen example!

no they are not...they haven't a clue who owns what so they are randomly sending out letters

i received an lpt form/notice/bill and i dont own a house...unfortunately im still living with my parents but none the less they think i owe them money for a property. They haven't an iota who owes them money they are just randomly sending out letters

• Advertisement

no they are not...they haven't a clue who owns what so they are randomly sending out letters

i received an lpt form/notice/bill and i dont own a house...unfortunately im still living with my parents but none the less they think i owe them money for a property. They haven't an iota who owes them money they are just randomly sending out letters

if you say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    if you say so.

oh it is very true. the gob****es dont know what is going on...just like the household charge....they did not know who did and did not pay that either. There were story's of civil servants knocking on doors last year to check if people were registered to vote..oh and while we are here...have you paid you household charge? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

But if they know you are liable but have a different address for tax returns, then it'll go there. I know, I got mine this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Again if you read the booklet it explains.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/local-property-tax-guide.pdf

6. I have received a Return but I am not the liable person, what do I have to do?
    Because Revenue has compiled a Register of residential properties from various sources, it may contain errors in relation to the ownership of some properties. If you receive a Return and you consider that you are not the liable person for the property, or that the property is not a residential property (see Question 2), you should inform Revenue by writing to: LPT Branch, P.O. Box 1, Limerick within 30 days of the date of the enclosed letter and include:
    ● The name(s), address(es) and PPSN(s) of the liable person(s).
    ● The reason(s) why you consider you are not the liable person or why the property is not a residential property.
    ● Whatever supporting documentation (copies are sufficient) may be relevant, e.g. copy of a lease agreement if you are a tenant; proof of sale of the property before 1 May 2013 etc.
    Based on this information Revenue will consider your claim and make a decision on the matter. It is important that you contact Revenue to correct our Register because in the absence of any correction, you are liable to pay the tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Has anyone else found that the amount on the letter is totally different than the estimate from the website?

Everyone I know has been pushed up a band in the letter compared to the website. That's more accurate for some but even less accurate for others.

I know you can self evaluate, and I will, but I'm just wondering if any other areas are being totally changed from the website estimate.

Amount on the letter is completely different from the website. To the point that I wonder why they bothered with the website at all other than to spend their offered budget. But it doesn't matter what the letter or the website says according to Revenue, because it's up to you to value the house and act accordingly. No responsibility whatsoever.

Has anyone else found that the amount on the letter is totally different than the estimate from the website?

I personally think that is there to catch out the people who do not reply / respond as they say they will chase you for the amount stated if you do not respond.

Everyone I know has been pushed up a band in the letter compared to the website. That's more accurate for some but even less accurate for others.

I know you can self evaluate, and I will, but I'm just wondering if any other areas are being totally changed from the website estimate.

The letter is based on an average for all properties in the area - the website was more specific to your property type (both are guides)

Explained here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-letter-estimates-differ-from-valuation-guide.html

Ogham wrote: »
    The letter is based on an average for all properties in the area - the website was more specific to your property type (both are guides)

Explained here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-letter-estimates-differ-from-valuation-guide.html

I don't buy that explanation either.
    The estate I live in has bungalows, semi's and detached two story houses, all valued at the same band on the website, if that's house specific I'll eat my hat. The true values vary hugely looking at the Property Price Register which is what you would expect for the different types of property.

I'll be going with the lower of the two or what a similar style house sold for in the last couple of years in this estate - whatever is lowest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't buy that explanation either.
    The estate I live in has bungalows, semi's and detached two story houses, all valued at the same band on the website, if that's house specific I'll eat my hat. The true values vary hugely looking at the Property Price Register which is what you would expect for the different types of property.

I'll be going with the lower of the two or what a similar style house sold for in the last couple of years in this estate - whatever is lowest.

That doesn't sound right. Are you selecting the correct property type (bungalow, terrace, detached etc) before clicking on your estate?

Advertisement