Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I haven't received property tax letter yet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

menoscemo wrote: »
    These guys are a joke.
    I am registered with revenue as living in my property for the last 6 years, receive Interest relief at source on my Mortgage, and yet they proceed to send out the property tax letter to my ex flatmate who doesn't even live here any more.
    Now I have to go through a rigmarole to pay, as I have to get him to send in a letter stating he is not liable. I want to pay online but they wont let me log in with my PPS number.

To top it all off they value my Apartment at over 5 times the market value (according to their own Valuation website and the Property register) :rolleyes:

Give it a few days to receive a letter in your name. I got 2 letters, one addressed to the owner from 7 years ago and then a few days later one came to the correct name. They're just trying all names they have attached to properties it seems. Big waste of resources? yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

menoscemo wrote: »
    These guys are a joke.
    I am registered with revenue as living in my property for the last 6 years, receive Interest relief at source on my Mortgage, and yet they proceed to send out the property tax letter to my ex flatmate who doesn't even live here any more.
    Now I have to go through a rigmarole to pay, as I have to get him to send in a letter stating he is not liable. I want to pay online but they wont let me log in with my PPS number.

To top it all off they value my Apartment at over 5 times the market value (according to their own Valuation website and the Property register) :rolleyes:

The estimate they quoted in the letter I received was more than I paid for the property in 2008...I have no idea where they got that figure from as I'm in a 2 bed apt and going by their own website I'm in Band 2, the Daft guide has me in Band 2 and the property price website has only sales in 2010 (no sales since in the development) that are below the amount in the letter..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 miss.o.c.

What happens when they get the address wrong on the lpt form and the wrong person. The also have the house over priced by about 70k

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

miss.o.c. wrote: »
    What happens when they get the address wrong on the lpt form and the wrong person. The also have the house over priced by about 70k

Don't you just value it yourself anyway. Ours was overvalued by almost 500,000

• Registered Users Posts: 9 miss.o.c.

It's an 85yr old man. letter was sent to his son who doesn't own d property, n address on lpt form was completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

It's an 85yr old man. letter was sent to his son who doesn't own d property, n address on lpt form was completely wrong.

Lordy 85 years old and being taken for every cent :(

If he's worried about it I'd ring them and try sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

The name doesn't matter as he can ring the number provided and let them know that it is him that is liable.
    How did the letter reach him if it was the incorrect address?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Strictly speaking, he shouldn't have opened the letter and should have given it back tot he post man, explaining what happened. Would he have opened a letter address to someone two streets away?

Potentially, fill in the form properly, although it would have the wrong property number attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Revenue's valuation is meaningless anyway. It's just a number that they can enforce, should you decide not to reply to their letter or submit your own valuation.

Just send off your own realistic valuation based on current market conditions and you'll be grand.

Daft.ie Property Tax Estimator
    The Ronan Lyons Method
    Money Guide Ireland Property Price Estimator

Also for more recent purchases, you could use the latest CSO figures to calculate the percentage change in property prices since you bought your property, to estimate how much your property has fallen/risen in value since you purchased it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Revenue's valuation is meaningless anyway. It's just a number that they can enforce, should you decide not to reply to their letter or submit your own valuation.

Just send off your own realistic valuation based on current market conditions and you'll be grand.

Daft.ie Property Tax Estimator
    The Ronan Lyons Method
    Money Guide Ireland Property Price Estimator

Also for more recent purchases, you could use the latest CSO figures to calculate the percentage change in property prices since you bought your property, to estimate how much your property has fallen/risen in value since you purchased it.

Some nice links there - Thanks!

I did a few calculations for my apartment:
    • Daft - 124,547
    • Ronan Lyons - 110,426
    • Money Guide - 149,340
    All three bring me into Band 2, rather than the Band 6 allocation I received in my LPT Letter from Revenue.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I got a physical letter yesterday - already submitted my return online

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I did my return online also - for the band below the one in the letter , which I believe to be a true and accurate valuation, at least I hope only one band below is accurate :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

UDP wrote: »
    you don't need the get your ex Tennant to do anything. Just ring them up yourself and tell them you are liable.

I actually did ring them up but they couldn't change the property into my name/PPS number over the phone.
    I was able to fill in the form stating I was liable without the ex tenant but can't pay until they receive the form back and register the property in my name....

Still can't get over their estimation though. There is not one single property in my Postcode worth the valuation they put on my Property (450-500k), much less a 2 bed Appt. It seems to me they are just putting random high numbers in the estimate and hoping some mug pays the full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

This property tax thing is a joke just like the government. They send me the letter in England and the value they put on it exceeds the actual value, they can swing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Blackheath wrote: »
    This property tax thing is a joke just like the government. They send me the letter in England and the value they put on it exceeds the actual value, they can swing for it.

Reassess the correct value then on your return then....

As for swinging for it. They will get it weather you like it or not, and have the power to take the money directly from your bank account amongst other things should then need to do so.

Rather than acting irrationally you would be much better served to pay your tax. Getting hit for interest and penalties whilst standing on your moral high ground isnt a very clever thing in my book anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

So far the poeple i know who have got bills are all on the next band higher to what the map states on the revenue site?
    Can you go by the map on the rev site or do you have to go by bill in post ,have not got my bill yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    So far the poeple i know who have got bills are all on the next band higher to what the map states on the revenue site?
    Can you go by the map on the rev site or do you have to go by bill in post ,have not got my bill yet.
    You don't have to go with either. Go with what the property is worth - whatever that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Eglinton wrote: »
    The last few posts have raised my ire somewhat. My biggest problem is with the following contained in the Revenue letter:

Now I have just received this letter but I am a tenant. As I do not want to be liable I will certainly send the Revenue a letter with a copy of the lease etc.

However, I agree with Technoprisonor:
    Why should I be the one who has to do the Revenue's job? I pay my rent to the Landlord who certainly has all his tax affairs in order so they should have a record.
    I do not own the property so how could I be liable for the tax?

Makes no sense.

If your landlord paid the initial house charge then how are you associated with being liable for the LPT? It seems to me that Revenue have taken a scattergun approach to this matter in general. My friend who doesn't own a property and used my business address for postal reasons temporarily has gotten a LPT demand. If the revenue bothered they would quickly discover that my business address is commercial and pays commercial rates. Of course that would be the sensible thing to do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

holyhead wrote: »
    If your landlord paid the initial house charge then how are you associated with being liable for the LPT?
    There may be an issue with an error in the address.
    It seems to me that Revenue have taken a scattergun approach to this matter in general.
    No, it's carpet bombing. :)
    My friend who doesn't own a property and used my business address for postal reasons temporarily has gotten a LPT demand. If the revenue bothered they would quickly discover that my business address is commercial and pays commercial rates. Of course that would be the sensible thing to do ;)
    Revenue can't readily identify 1-2 million buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Haven't received the letter but when I login to paye anytime the assessment is there.

It's way overvalued so I reckon Revenue are deliberately overvaluing to provoke people in to making their own assessment which in turn validates their database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Also no letter yet but estimate was on Anytime, just one band too high - but shows a severe oddity with their valuations.

I bought the house last year, and the payment of stamp duty is the only time Revenue have ever got that address - I've not yet moved my normal address with them. And yet they valued it a band higher than it was worth 5 months ago... the estimator also had the correct value for the house type, although they likely don't know what type an address is 100% accurately.

Anyway, paid and done with. Not looking forward to paying 2x as much directly after Christmas next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

MYOB wrote: »
    Also no letter yet but estimate was on Anytime, just one band too high - but shows a severe oddity with their valuations.

I bought the house last year, and the payment of stamp duty is the only time Revenue have ever got that address - I've not yet moved my normal address with them. And yet they valued it a band higher than it was worth 5 months ago... the estimator also had the correct value for the house type, although they likely don't know what type an address is 100% accurately.

Anyway, paid and done with. Not looking forward to paying 2x as much directly after Christmas next year though.

Have not got bill yet. does it have a option to go to lower band?
    (the one on the rev site)

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Have not got bill yet. does it have a option to go to lower band?
    (the one on the rev site)

Yeah. Can select any band you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Mine went to my parents address and opened it today. Don't know why it went there. My letter has my property addressed wrong and is 5 bands too high!
    I still haven't paid household charge. Do i just go on to household charge site for that?
    People are just sitting at computers sending wrong stuff out. Its very messy and no structure at all.

Double post.

apache wrote: »
    Mine went to my parents address and opened it today. Don't know why it went there. My letter has my property addressed wrong and is 5 bands too high!
    I still haven't paid household charge. Do i just go on to household charge site for that?
    People are just sitting at computers sending wrong stuff out. Its very messy and no structure at all.

You can still pay the household charge through its website until the end of April (IIRC) after which it goes to €200 and gets attached to the property tax.

I'd imagine in most cases, there isn't a single human involved in the process.

MYOB wrote: »
    You can still pay the household charge through its website until the end of April (IIRC) after which it goes to €200 and gets attached to the property tax.

I'd imagine in most cases, there isn't a single human involved in the process.
    Ok will do. Its just so bloody messy. I better tell them they have a line of my address wrong also. It still e100 for that?

apache wrote: »
    Ok will do. Its just so bloody messy. I better tell them they have a line of my address wrong also. It still e100 for that?

Its about 125 or so at this stage, there's penalty interest.

I was hell bent on not paying but it looks like not much choice. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have a huge yearly fee for management of the apartment complex :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Cynic in me is wondering are Revenue using this scattergun approach to try & catch out a few Landlords who havent declared second properties & are liable for tax on Rental Income.

Advertisement