Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I haven't received property tax letter yet

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I still have not received an assessment for the LPT,any expectations when I should at the latest receive one?I think there was some mention of mid April?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

seligehgit wrote: »
    I still have not received an assessment for the LPT,any expectations when I should at the latest receive one?I think there was some mention of mid April?

Could be into second week of April - still another half a million to be sent yet.
    see http://www.moneyguideireland.com/dont-worry-if-you-havent-received-a-property-tax-letter.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

seligehgit wrote: »

I'm still waiting too. A letter came at the end of Feb from Revenue for the previous owner of our house but as I couldn't open it I couldn't tell what it was. I'm guessing that was too early for property tax letters to start arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Letter arrived today, dated 22nd March - some serious postal delay there! Already paid on Anytime while it was in transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭khards

We have not received a letter yet.

We rent our house and have suspected for some time that the landlord pays no tax on the rent. The suspicion started when I read about deposit protection and that we should have received a letter telling us about that.

If my suspicions are correct then:

1, No tax is being paid on the rent
    2, The Septic tank is not registered
    3, To LPT has been paid
    4, The house is not registered for property tax.

The problem is this: If I investigate this further then my tenancy may suddenly expire or my rent may be hiked, so I think that since the landlord is liable I will just leave it for now.

The landlord used to live in this house, then built himself a new one down the road, back in 2008. Since then he has been trying to sell the house and been letting it out in between.

This is my first time renting in Ireland so I am not 100% sure of the processes.

Would the property tax letter be delieved to the landlords address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

khards wrote: »
    We rent our house and have suspected for some time that the landlord pays no tax on the rent. The suspicion started when I read about deposit protection and that we should have received a letter telling us about that.
    There is no proper deposit protection system in Ireland, but all tenancies must be registered with the PRTB www.prtb.ie

If the tenancy isn't registered, the tenant can still bring a complaint, but the landlord can't.
    Quite possibly. As tenants, you have no responsibility or liability, unless you receive a form, in which case, you simply declare the landlord's details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

khards wrote: »

It might not have been sent at all. I am self employed, and got notification in email directing me to the ROS website regarding my property tax liabilities. There were two houses registered against me, one is mine and one my mothers. No letters were received at either property.

D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dazberry wrote: »
    It might not have been sent at all. I am self employed, and got notification in email directing me to the ROS website regarding my property tax liabilities. There were two houses registered against me, one is mine and one my mothers. No letters were received at either property.

D.

Ditto.
    I only found mine from the website :(
    2 revaluations coming up from me........
    How come the valuations are so high? I mean- there have been sales, they can see what the market rate is- so why value identical properties at double the open market selling price?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

smccarrick wrote: »
    Ditto.
    I only found mine from the website :(
    2 revaluations coming up from me........
    How come the valuations are so high? I mean- there have been sales, they can see what the market rate is- so why value identical properties at double the open market selling price?

Chancing their arm that someone will believe them?

Chancing their arm that someone will believe them?

Its all automated- its almost as though they didn't give a damn about actual prices and simply took to a map of Ireland with some painting tool ascribing values based purely on location- irrespective of any other factor whatsoever- and actual sales bedamned.

• Advertisement

Its all automated- its almost as though they didn't give a damn about actual prices and simply took to a map of Ireland with some painting tool ascribing values based purely on location- irrespective of any other factor whatsoever- and actual sales bedamned.

I know its weird..mine was more than I actually paid in 2008...not a hope of it being correct lol

I know its weird..mine was more than I actually paid in 2008...not a hope of it being correct lol

At least we can change it online and put in whatever we want. I'm only going down 1 band- so I doubt they'll get too angsty with my valuation- but I'm not impressed that they seem to have successfully over-estimated every single valuation that I know of.

At least we can change it online and put in whatever we want. I'm only going down 1 band- so I doubt they'll get too angsty with my valuation- but I'm not impressed that they seem to have successfully over-estimated every single valuation that I know of.

I went down two bands...they can sing for anything more, if I have to pay anymore tax I'm going to start running out of money to pay the mortgage lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I'm not impressed that they seem to have successfully over-estimated every single valuation that I know of.

It's a tactic to get people to submit a valuation. If its undervalued people are more likely to leave the revenue valuation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    It's a tactic to get people to submit a valuation. If its undervalued people are more likely to leave the revenue valuation
    I am shocked by the number of people that do not see the reasoning behind it. It would be impossible for them to be able to accurately put a value on every house in Ireland. Revenue even say when speaking in interviews that this is not the value of the property but just a figure they are going to use to calculate how much to charge the of owner or suspected owner. Even if they get the property value correct the owner still has to fill out the forms etc declaring the value otherwise it will be seen as not making a tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I went down two bands...they can sing for anything more, if I have to pay anymore tax I'm going to start running out of money to pay the mortgage lol

I went down one band on my house (matching what we paid for it in 2012 and taking into account what work we have and have not done on it to date), and "on behalf of" my mother's property I dropped it 2 bands matching what most houses of that type in the selected area are selling for - including the next door property that sold in 2013.

On the other side of my mother is an elderly man in his late 80s, and he paid it two bands up (as per the letter) as he thought the letter was a proper valuation :(

D.

In the UK there is a cottage industry in reclaiming overpaid council taxes. Wonder will similar spring up here? Then again- dealing with council tax is a damn sight easier than trying to reclaim money from Revenue........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

In the UK there is a cottage industry in reclaiming overpaid council taxes. Wonder will similar spring up here? Then again- dealing with council tax is a damn sight easier than trying to reclaim money from Revenue........

There is no facility to reclaim any perceived overpayment.

As it is a self-assessment tax it is up to the liable person to declare the value and this holds for 3 years.

The only way it can be changed is if revenue challenge the valuation and it is revised upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tjsheehans

I have got no letter so far from revenue , I have paid the household charge last year, What do I do and who do I contact to pay my bill online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

tjsheehans wrote: »
    I have got no letter so far from revenue , I have paid the household charge last year, What do I do and who do I contact to pay my bill online.

They will catch with you eventually. Get it done by the 28th.

• Advertisement

Go to www.revenue.ie
    There is a box to click on entitled 'Local Property Tax'
    Follow instructions from there- if you encounter any problems, ring the helpline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Have you ever registered for Paye anytime ? If so, your letter could be in there. I discovered mine by accident in Paye anytime. Strangely they did not send an email notification to say there was new correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Havent regiesterd, as soon as the letter popped through tthe door, it went in teh bin but now thinking of paying it incase these bastards value my house more than what its worth. Mines IMO is sitting dead on 150k so going to go with the value upto that.

Advertisement