Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introduction of Carbon tax on solid fuels from May 1st

• 24-03-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Hi all

This is just a reminder to stock up on coal and briquettes before the 30th of April 2013 as the carbon tax will apply from the 1st of may.

The tax will apply to all smokeless and bituminous coals, lignite fuels, union nuggets and peat products.

The only area exempt from carbon tax will be 100% wood products eg wood pellets, eco logs ect.

The increase of €10 per ton of carbon breaks down to a €1.20 increase per bag of 40kg coal.
    It will also increase the cost of 1 bale of Bord Na Mona briquettes by 26 cent.

If you had the space to stock up now for next winter now say a ton of coal (25 bags) and half a ton of briquettes (40 bales) you could save over €40!!

Also the tax will be doubled on the 1st may 2014 so it would be €2.40:eek: a bag dearer and 52 cent on a bale of briquettes.

So if you had space for 2 years supply you could save over €80.

One more note if you plan to stock up the ban on burning of smoky coal will come into effect from May 1st 2013 for the following areas:

Greystones

Letterkenny

Mullingar

Navan

Newbridge

Portlaoise

Wicklow Town and Rathnew

By law you cant burn smokie coal ie polish etc after the 1st of may so no point in buying a big load of coal only to find you will be breaking the law by burning it and facing big fines.
    more info available at:
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Atmosphere/AirQuality/SmokyCoalBan/
    And maps
    http://http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Atmosphere/AirQuality/SmokyCoalBan/MapsofSmokyCoalBanAreas/

Just a Heads up on what coming in 5 weeks time as ive noticed alot of people have forgotten about the tax that was announced in the last budget.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And Wexford I do believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭vickers209

vicwatson wrote: »
    And Wexford I do believe

Wexford been smokeless since 1998

Dublin in 1990

Cork City since 1995

Arklow, Drogheda, Dundalk, Limerick City and Wexford Town since 1998

Celbridge, Galway City, Leixlip, Naas and Waterford City since 2000

Bray, Kilkenny, Sligo and Tralee since 2003

Athlone, Carlow, Clonmel and Ennis since 2011.

BanAreas.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i had no idea Arklow was on the list, its like los angeles here when lots of gouses have their rires lit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I was making arrangements for ordering a pallet of coal and 40 briquettes, wasnt sure how much of an increase we would be looking at after may 1st.

Thanks op. For the info

Now to raid the spare change jar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Gas goes up
    Electricity goes up.

The CER actualy grants them (them being the energy companies) a bigger increase aswell than what was asked for.:eek::rolleyes::mad:

Now all solid fuels are going up too.:rolleyes:

Oh and then big cuts to the fuel allowence scheme that so many people need to survive on and heat their homes.

I love this country and how its being run these days:eek::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Good old wood pellets are exempt,there was a huge push a few years ago for people to splash out huge sums on wood pellet burners which proved to be innefficient & costly to run & maintain.
    I know loads of people who have given up using them & gone back to oil or coal fired heating systems.

As Paddy147 says, the government in this country have their heads in the clouds,they make it expensive to heat our homes & then tax us to live in them.The legacy of the loony Greens lives on & still blights our lives...Rant over,now to stock up on coal.

zerks wrote: »
    Good old wood pellets are exempt,there was a huge push a few years ago for people to splash out huge sums on wood pellet burners which proved to be innefficient & costly to run & maintain.
    I know loads of people who have given up using them & gone back to oil or coal fired heating systems.

As Paddy147 says, the government in this country have their heads in the clouds,they make it expensive to heat our homes & then tax us to live in them.The legacy of the loony Greens lives on & still blights our lives...Rant over,now to stock up on coal.

I see that FG/Labour are looking at holding back the water taxes till 2015.

They are sh1tting themselves over a massive public backlash over the property tax....so they are holding back the water taxes for another year after 2014.

Gilmore is also now a dead man walking.

Hes gone.......just a shame that he still acts like a complete d1ckhead and has no shame in what he is doing to this country and its people

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

They will never give up on this "global warming" scam. This is too great tax for EU revenue. I heard they are planning to introduce brand new tax - "Pay as you fart" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ecomac wrote: »
    They will never give up on this "global warming" scam. This is too great tax for EU revenue. I heard they are planning to introduce brand new tax - "Pay as you fart" ;)

A load of Hot Air:D:D:D:D:D.

Seriously, though, where is all this s***e going to end up:mad:?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

you could save over €40!!

:rolleyes: for the ton of coal and half ton briquettes,i say its save F all :D space costs more and upkeep then odd 40e for a year.

Aldi have massive composters for €24.99,they make great coal bunkers;)

I can get 40kg bags of coal for €12.50 delivered down my way & was told that another stockist has them for €10.50 if you collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Might suit some, but seems like a lot of money up front required along with a lot of space.

I mean if you are in that bad a position that paying an extra 77 cent a week would be too costly for you, you are hardly going to be in a position to stump up the price of two years fuel in the first place to enable you to save that 77 cent weekly and wait two years for the payback!

vickers209 wrote: »
    Wexford been smokeless since 1998

Dublin in 1990

Cork City since 1995

Arklow, Drogheda, Dundalk, Limerick City and Wexford Town since 1998

Celbridge, Galway City, Leixlip, Naas and Waterford City since 2000

Bray, Kilkenny, Sligo and Tralee since 2003

Athlone, Carlow, Clonmel and Ennis since 2011.

BanAreas.jpg

Wrong.

It's been illegal to sell smoky coal in Wexford town since 1998 perhaps, but from May 1st it's illegal to BURN smoky coal. There's a difference.

Wrong.

It's been illegal to sell smoky coal in Wexford town since 1998 perhaps, but from May 1st it's illegal to BURN smoky coal. There's a difference.

Not getting into an argument about it but actuality it was brought in last year:
    From the 31st August 2012, the burning of bitumimous or smoky coal (including burning in a private dwelling) within designated areas is now an offence under the Air Pollution Act 1987, which can result in fines of up to €5,000 being imposed upon summary conviction in the District Court.

Well I bought 184 bales of briquettes last year for 400 euro.
    Worked out at 2 euro 19 cents a bale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

paddy147 wrote: »

whereabouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I bought a tonne of blocks for £35 :D last year. Moving house now and will have an open fire again so looking at doing the same again plus some coal. Anyone close to the border go for these: http://www.cappertrading.com/pages/viewdetails.asp?ID=4&Item=42

whereabouts?

Eastern Europe wasn't it Paddy?

They weren't BNM

• Advertisement

Eastern Europe wasn't it Paddy?

They weren't BNM

Good man paddy! Doing his bit to help the poor folk in Cyprus by burning the Russian Bond Briquette holders :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

iPhone. wrote: »
    Good man paddy! Doing his bit to help the poor folk in Cyprus by burning the Russian Bond Briquette holders :D

IIRC he got it from Polska. And Sean & Seanie Poland are selling coal for €9.99 in Ballina, Castlebar & Sligo. And good heat with little waste out of it too:D.

IIRC he got it from Polska.

Wrong.

Estonia actually.

And they burn very nicely too.:)

Wrong.

Estonia actually.

And they burn very nicely too.:)

Were you over there in a van anyway or how did that come about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Were you over there in a van anyway or how did that come about?

Don't get him started again on the fecking Eastern European Briquettes again, look at his post history, he's mentioned it several times in the past year or so... :D :pac::pac::pac:

Back OT try asking you local coalman for a deal, you would be surprised what they can do when ordering in Bulk & you get it delivered directly to your house/ shed etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Aldi have massive composters for €24.99,they make great coal bunkers;)

I can get 40kg bags of coal for €12.50 delivered down my way & was told that another stockist has them for €10.50 if you collect.

Where is "Down my way"

Cheers

Don't get him started again on the fecking Eastern European Briquettes again

Lets just say that I was in the right place,and at the right time too.:D

Oh and my freind owns/runs a freight distribution business too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

vickers209 wrote: »

The increase of €10 per ton of carbon breaks down to a €1.20 increase per bag of 40kg coal.

So based on €10/€1.2 = 8.33*40kg = 333KG

How the F**K did the government get away with claiming that 333kg of coal turns into 1000kg of carbon gas????

vectra wrote: »
    Where is "Down my way"

Cheers

Bit far from Cork,I'm in Wexford. Picked up 2 bags myself for €23 yesterday.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    So based on €10/€1.2 = 8.33*40kg = 333KG

How the F**K did the government get away with claiming that 333kg of coal turns into 1000kg of carbon gas????

It's Ireland,they just make shit up.

Lets just say that I was in the right place,and at the right time too.:D

Oh and my freind owns/runs a freight distribution business too.:)

Its fine when you have a lorry. I bought a builders bag of blocks and loaded it into the car last year :D

Totally filled it... at the time I didn't consider how much weight I was carrying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Knew it wouldn't take long

..... and the photos of the Stovax Riva too

..... and the whole story about how he got them

That's my Easter ruined now. Thanks Paddy !!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Anyone know of a cheap place in North dublin to get briquettes?? Cheapest I can find is €4.00. Just looking for a small amount. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Bit far from Cork,I'm in Wexford. Picked up 2 bags myself for €23 yesterday.

Is there a name on that coal? Is it the columbian stuff?

dfbemt wrote: »

Photos? Give us a look!

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Photos? Give us a look!

:D:D:D

See Post 24......

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cygnet

Grange builders provider's baldoyle - briquettes €3 until Saturday !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

If you live outside of those areas mentioned, it is OK to sell and burn the smokey stuff though?

Also is the burning something that will be entirely unenforced? I occasionally burned smokey coal in a banned area over a number of years and nothing ever happened. Presumably it's very hard to enforce this ban of burning as it is difficult to detect smoke at night time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I was taking to my local coal merchant today, and he told me that coal would be going up by €1 or €1.20 in may, and come september it will be going up by anther 80c

Feic that.. Time to stockpile

dfbemt wrote: »

Well I went and bought another 40 bales today.......just incase....;):D

And the Stovax Riva 66 inset is roaring away as I type this too.

PS-Happy Easter.:pac::D

• Advertisement

It's Ireland,they just make shit up.

Im sure now Pat Rabbite wont like you saying that....

I mean he allways tells the truth and he never talks horse shyte..:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Just to let you know that there is a problem getting briquettes for suppliers. I was talking to 2 coal merchants today and they said that they are being rationed for the last few weeks and that they are not being aloud stockpile and stockup before the price increase. The cold weather is killing them as they cannot meet the demand and when the price increase comes they will have no stock themselves.

Where did you get these ones ? Are they the same as the famous other ones ?
    Would be very interested myself (Genuinely) Ta NwF

And the Stovax Riva 66 inset is roaring away as I type this too.

PS-Happy Easter.:pac::D

Jaysus Paddy you've more briquettes than money :eek::eek: :D

dbyrne wrote: »
    Just to let you know that there is a problem getting briquettes for suppliers. I was talking to 2 coal merchants today and they said that they are being rationed for the last few weeks and that they are not being aloud stockpile and stockup before the price increase. The cold weather is killing them as they cannot meet the demand and when the price increase comes they will have no stock themselves.

This is true i work for a main fuel supplier and briquettes have been on ration since start of February with allocated loads but now they are just coming straight off the production line and been loaded into trucks now as they have no stockpile left. They are still hot when they reach our depot.
    if the weather is is bad this summer briquettes will be very scarce next winter as the bogs are too wet to harvest for peat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Stockpiles are running out elsewhere too, uk is nearly out of gas:

ng_safety_monitor_requirement.png

paddyp wrote: »
    Stockpiles are running out elsewhere too, uk is nearly out of gas:

They can always fall back on the substantial reserves created in Westminster daily :D

Gery Adams stood up in the Dail this morning,and pressed the goverment on the fuel allowence scheme.

He told them to reinstate the fuel allowence to the people who really rely on it.

So Enda Kenny stood up in the Dail this morning and announced that he was making an emergencey fuel allowence payment to all people who get it on a weekly basis.

Hes extending the scheme by 1 more week.

Even though hes allready cut it by 6 weeks.

Jaysus Paddy you've more briquettes than money :eek::eek: :D

As the phrase goes.....

"Better to be looking at it,than looking for it"

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement