Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introduction of Carbon tax on solid fuels from May 1st

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭vickers209

dbyrne wrote: »
    Just to let you know that there is a problem getting briquettes for suppliers. I was talking to 2 coal merchants today and they said that they are being rationed for the last few weeks and that they are not being aloud stockpile and stockup before the price increase. The cold weather is killing them as they cannot meet the demand and when the price increase comes they will have no stock themselves.

Bord Na Móna has confirmed that the demand for peat briquettes in the first three months of the year was 47% higher than for the same period in 2012.

The demand has forced the company to put in place a contingency plan to manage stocks evenly among 5,000 wholesalers.

Michael Coleman of the Bord Na Móna briquettes division told RTÉ News that the company would normally have up to 50,000 tonnes of briquettes in stock at its factories in Derrinlough, Co Offaly, and Littleton in Co Tipperary.

He said reserves have now been reduced significantly, but the factories were both in a position to meet demands on a week-to-week basis.

There are a number of factors contributing to the shortage. Bad weather last year reduced peat harvest to just 37%, the worst in the history of the company.

There are also higher than normal moisture levels in the peat used in briquette production, leading to reduced output.

A fire in the company's factory at Littleton also caused a loss in production during the period of peak demand.

A number of wholesalers in the midlands have confirmed that they have been unable to receive large stock supplies of briquettes in advance and have had to contact Bord Na Móna on a day-to-day and week-to-week basis to have their supplies delivered.

The month of March saw an increase of 67% in the demand for stocks.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2013/0326/378470-bord-na-mona-peat-briquettes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

paddy147 wrote: »
    Gery Adams stood up in the Dail this morning,and pressed the goverment on the fuel allowence scheme.

He told them to reinstate the fuel allowence to the people who really rely on it.

So Enda Kenny stood up in the Dail this morning and announced that he was making an emergencey fuel allowence payment to all people who get it on a weekly basis.

Hes extending the scheme by 1 more week.

Even though hes allready cut it by 6 weeks.

Nothing at all to do with the by-election. "Don't you be worried about heating yourself dear. Now toddle off there and vote for wee Helen and while you're gone I'll sort that allowance for you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

vickers209 wrote: »
    Bord Na Móna has confirmed that the demand for peat briquettes from Paddy147 in the first three months of the year was 47% higher than for the same period in 2012.

The demand from Paddy147 has forced the company to put in place a contingency plan to manage stocks evenly among 5,000 wholesalers and Paddy147.

Michael Coleman of the Bord Na Móna briquettes division told RTÉ News that the company would normally have up to 50,000 tonnes of briquettes in stock for Paddy147 at its factories in Derrinlough, Co Offaly, and Littleton in Co Tipperary.

He said reserves have now been reduced significantly by Paddy147, but the factories were both in a position to meet Paddy147's demands on a week-to-week basis.

There are a number of factors contributing to the shortage. Bad weather last year reduced peat harvest to just 37%, the worst in the history of the company.

There are also higher than normal moisture levels in the peat used in briquette production, leading to reduced output.

A fire in the company's factory at Littleton also caused a loss in production during the period of peak demand as well as a large fire in Paddy147's Stovax Riva.

A number of wholesalers in the midlands have confirmed that they have been unable to receive large stock supplies of briquettes in advance and have had to contact Bord Na Móna on a day-to-day and week-to-week basis to have their supplies delivered directly to Paddy147.

The month of March saw an increase of 67% in the demand for stocks by Paddy147.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2013/0326/378470-bord-na-mona-peat-briquettes/

Updated to reflect the real source of the current briquette shortage ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

cygnet wrote: »
    Grange builders provider's baldoyle - briquettes €3 until Saturday !!

Paddy, can you confirm? You usually have Grange on your radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

paddyp wrote: »
    Stockpiles are running out elsewhere too, uk is nearly out of gas:

ng_safety_monitor_requirement.png
    I thought our gas comes from Co.Cork :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Gery Adams stood up in the Dail this morning,and pressed the goverment on the fuel allowence scheme.

He told them to reinstate the fuel allowence to the people who really rely on it.

So Enda Kenny stood up in the Dail this morning and announced that he was making an emergencey fuel allowence payment to all people who get it on a weekly basis.

Hes extending the scheme by 1 more week.

Even though hes allready cut it by 6 weeks.

Had'nt Moanie Joanie approved the extra week last night?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dfbemt wrote: »
    Updated to reflect the real source of the current briquette shortage ;)

Bought another 15 bales and a bag of coal this morning...just incase.;):pac::P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

When the Euro collapses tomorrow and bartering takes over, Paddy 147 will be Kind with all his briquettes!

When the Euro collapses tomorrow and bartering takes over, Paddy 147 will be Kind with all his briquettes!

I,ll trade you 6 briquettes pieces for 5 eggs and a head of lettuce...:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Had'nt Moanie Joanie approved the extra week last night?:confused:

Yeah and she's deducting it from next years allowance.

I'm in the lucky position that I can cut my own timber,the only cost is hard work & fuel for the chainsaw,a good mix of timber and coal gives a nice warm fire.I've relations who burn only coal and it's bloody expensive,I reckon I burn only a quarter or less of their total coal wise.

zerks wrote: »
    Yeah and she's deducting it from next years allowance.

I'm in the lucky position that I can cut my own timber,the only cost is hard work & fuel for the chainsaw,a good mix of timber and coal gives a nice warm fire.I've relations who burn only coal and it's bloody expensive,I reckon I burn only a quarter or less of their total coal wise.

Give with 1 hand yet take away with the other...fcuking typical.:rolleyes::mad:

Yeah wood and coal makes for a nice slow burning yet warm fire.

We burn logs from felled trees that we get for free.

Start the stove off on briquettes,then when they are red hot and more of less ash,chuck in a small shovel of coal,and then place 2-3 logs ontop of the coal.

Turn down the air supply to a low-medium setting.

Stove goes all night on that,until its time to go to bed.:)

That should just about keep me going for the next few days or so.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

casio4 wrote: »
    I thought our gas comes from Co.Cork :o

Comes from scotland, they pump it out to the old marathon field in cork during the summer when gas is cheap, apparently the uk stock levels were only a little lower than usual at this time of year. The whole thing was a exaggerated by the media shock horror, all they had to do was ask intermittant contract holder to turn off and shortfall was solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I see you fit in one of your too many power washers in the picture too :-p

paddyp wrote: »
    I see you fit in one of your too many power washers in the picture too :-p

I know I know.....3 of them (Parkside,Karcher,Bobs) is too many for one person.:pac::o:D

Anyway.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Glad to hear the Carbon Tax is not on wood products

And if its €1.20 on a bag of coal .it could be €2 at shop counter so.

Must try to locate that Donegal postman for long term forecast , before doing something as drastic as stockpiling .:)

Glad to hear the Carbon Tax is not on wood products

And if its €1.20 on a bag of coal .it could be €2 at shop counter so.

Must try to locate that Donegal postman for long term forecast , before doing something as drastic as stockpiling .:)

Woodies and Tesco....

Considering that even now (pre carbon tax)..they want 4 euro 50 cents for 1 bale of briquettes.

Sweet Mother of Jesus thats an absolute RIPP OFF..:eek::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

HOLY $HIT thats some amount of fire!!!

Impressive ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Paddy,you must be planning on having a bonfire with all that,haha. Yes woodies are a rip off on there briquettes. The grange builders are out of them at the moment, they said they are getting more in next week,there is a shortage of them

bri007 wrote: »
    Paddy,you must be planning on having a bonfire with all that,haha. Yes woodies are a rip off on there briquettes. The grange builders are out of them at the moment, they said they are getting more in next week,there is a shortage of them

They were operating a ration system..6 bales only per person yesterday.

Most shops are now down to 3 bales per person today.:pac:

And quite a few are out of stock till at least next Wednesday/Thursday.

Ah well,,,will have to make do.:)

• Advertisement

Are you pi55ed off that Enda Kenny and Michael Noonan wouldnt burn the Germans????:rolleyes::mad:

Well heres your very own chance to burn those pesky Germans...:pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

I tried three places (filling stations and a local shop) today that normally had briquettes. All out of stock and one said they did not expect another delivery for several weeks at which point they might not bother if the weather had warmed up. Eventually got some in a fuel supplier who had half a pallet left and were rationing them to 2 bales per person. They expected to be out of stock this afternoon and had no idea when they would get more.

ye it doesnt look good on the bnm briquettes coming in any time soon. Looks like we will be paying the extra tax on it as soon as they eventually do come back in stock. We should of stock pilled them up, I got 10 bales last week, was going to get another 10 more this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Place selling coal opened recently in Enniscorthy on the site of the former Skoda garage,they have 40kg bags of coal for €9.99.
    A friend tried it & said it burned well with great heat but left a lot more ash than the more expensive stuff,for that price I doubt people would mind cleaning out the fire an extra day a week.

Are you pi55ed off that Enda Kenny and Michael Noonan wouldnt burn the Germans????:rolleyes::mad:

Well heres your very own chance to burn those pesky Germans...:pac::pac::D

we been supplying them to all the garages in dublin instead of bnm as we none left the last of bnm went to applegreen mount merrion and texaco abbey monkstown.
    what do you think of them

we been supplying them to all the garages in dublin instead of bnm as we none left the last of bnm went to applegreen mount merrion and texaco abbey monkstown.
    what do you think of them

Slow to get going,but once going they are good.

Alot more heat than from the normal briquettes,and not that much ash when compared to the normal briquettes.

Downside is that they are only half the size of a BnM bale of briquettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

Give with 1 hand yet take away with the other...fcuking typical.:rolleyes::mad:

Yeah wood and coal makes for a nice slow burning yet warm fire.

We burn logs from felled trees that we get for free.

Start the stove off on briquettes,then when they are red hot and more of less ash,chuck in a small shovel of coal,and then place 2-3 logs ontop of the coal.

Turn down the air supply to a low-medium setting.

Stove goes all night on that,until its time to go to bed.:)

Where do you get your felled trees paddy? Looking around for some trees myself but no much around.

Anyone know any decent deals going in Cork by any chance? Have a big garage so dont mind stock piling a bit.

Slow to get going,but once going they are good.

Alot more heat than from the normal briquettes,and not that much ash when compared to the normal briquettes.

Downside is that they are only half the size of a BnM bale of briquettes.

but there cheaper than bnm or ment to be at least how much u pay retailers might be ripping people off as theres nowt else available

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Where do you get your felled trees paddy? Looking around for some trees myself but no much around.

From my girlfriend...:)

but there cheaper than bnm or ment to be at least how much u pay retailers might be ripping people off as theres nowt else available

I just thought Id try them and see what they were like...for the craic.

3 euro 50 cents for that small half bale....so I dont know how good or bad value that is,as I had never seen those German Lignite briquettes before.

• Advertisement

I just thought Id try them and see what they were like...for the craic.

3 euro 50 cents for that small half bale....so I dont know how good or bad value that is,as I had never seen those German Lignite briquettes before.

Ya bout right price there 10kg a bale a bnm is 12kg a bale so there not much in difference weight wise
    they have been around a long time but we never pushed them into market there is also a 25kg bale too for around 8 euro.there the same product as the union nugget but in bale form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Small firelog packs are 99p each in B&M bargains in the North. Seem to be selling fast but they're good thick ones if you're up North anyway.

Small firelog packs are 99p each in B&M bargains in the North. Seem to be selling fast but they're good thick ones if you're up North anyway.

Cant be used in a stove or closed applience...for anyone who doesnt allready know this.;)

Ya bout right price there 10kg a bale a bnm is 12kg a bale so there not much in difference weight wise
    they have been around a long time but we never pushed them into market there is also a 25kg bale too for around 8 euro.there the same product as the union nugget but in bale form

Well I have "1 or 2" bales of briquettes and a few trees/logs to get through 1st before Id even consider buying any more German lignite.

Just bought them for the craic to see how they burned.:)

Cant be used in a stove or closed applience...for anyone who doesnt allready know this.;)

I'm going to have an open fire.
    Why can't they be used in a closed fire?

Well I have "1 or 2" bales of briquettes and a few trees/logs to get through 1st before Id even consider buying any more German lignite.

Just bought them for the craic to see how they burned.:)

Is that not 1 or 2 more "PALLETS" paddy?:D

bri007 wrote: »
    Is that not 1 or 2 more "PALLETS" paddy?:D

I even use them for kindling for the stove....nothing gets wasted.:D

I'm going to have an open fire.
    Why can't they be used in a closed fire?

They create tar and soot deposits in the stove and liner and are not considered safe for stove and closed applience usage.

It says so on all firelog packs (even other makes of firelogs)...in small print.;)

http://www.bordnamonafuels.ie/usage-guide

They create tar and soot deposits in ther stove and liner and are not considered safe for stove and closed applience usage.

It says so on all firelog packs (even other makes of firelogs)...in small print.;)

http://www.bordnamonafuels.ie/usage-guide

Cheers for that. We throw in anything. Usually use sticks for kindling then blocks and a few coals or mostly coal on a cold night.

• Advertisement

If you have a multi-fuel stove , you can ignore pack labelling .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Gonna try and get a pallet of bnm briquettes during the week.... lets see what happens.

Tell me more please.......what specific reason for ignoring the labeling??:pac:

Sure Paddy ...............

Different products burn differently in different appliances.

So consumers need to find out what product burns best in their appliance .

look closely at the different bags , and you will notice that some bags advise of a product that is for open fires only , but in actual fact , can be burned in both open and closed appliances .

Fact.

Sure Paddy ...............

Different products burn differently in different appliances.

So consumers need to find out what product burns best in their appliance .

look closely at the different bags , and you will notice that some bags advise of a product that is for open fires only , but in actual fact , can be burned in both open and closed appliances .

Fact.

"not suitable for burning in closed appliences"

Thats the small print on the packaging of every firelog..........fact.

But yet you are telling me (with no actual explanation) that I am to ignore the labeling and burn it in my stove.

Hhmmm....I wonder whose advice I will take here??????:pac::pac:;)

Paddy , you must rely on your stove manual and not your bag labelling .

As I said above , different items burn differently in different appliances .

From my experience , the only product not suitable for some stoves is petroleum coke , as advised in stove manuals .

now Paddy , as an avid solid fuel user , do you seriously think that a firelog can damage your stove ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,872 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Jaysus don't encourage him or we will have pics of firemen :O

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

touts wrote: »
    So based on €10/€1.2 = 8.33*40kg = 333KG

How the F**K did the government get away with claiming that 333kg of coal turns into 1000kg of carbon gas????

C02 = C + O2 => 333KG C + 666KG of O2

Paddy , you must rely on your stove manual and not your bag labelling .

As I said above , different items burn differently in different appliances .

From my experience , the only product not suitable for some stoves is petroleum coke , as advised in stove manuals .

now Paddy , as an avid solid fuel user , do you seriously think that a firelog can damage your stove ?

Specificly why should I ignore the package labling?

So BnM are wrong and you are right??

Thanks.

In most cases , its the percentage of petroleum coke ingredients , that determine , whether these can be burned in an enclosed or open fire .

We always consider these firelogs as starters , like firelighters .

Just my opinion .....

But of course , you should always '' do what it says on the tin ''

In most cases , its the percentage of petroleum coke ingredients , that determine , whether these can be burned in an enclosed or open fire .

We always consider these firelogs as starters , like firelighters .

Just my opinion .....

But of course , you should always '' do what it says on the tin ''

So post 91 of yours is wrong then.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement