Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No 'Late applications' for Nursing courses - Advice wanted

Options
  • 24-03-2013 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place.

Basically I must have been on another planet but I didn't realize that 'mature students' who wanted to apply for nursing or midwifery places had to do so by Feb 1st and couldn't avail of the 'Late applications' function by the CAO until May 1st.

I'm really disappointed. I contacted the college where I had hoped to gain a place and they informed me that it wasn't a college decision but a decision by An Bord Altranais, as they hold a 'test' early in the year to see if 'restricted courses/mature student entry' is appropriate for the person applying and that therefore applications made after Feb 1st couldn't be considered as the tests had already taken place for interested mature candidates.

The lady in the college that I was speaking to suggested I call An Bord Altranais directly and see if there was anything they could do and basically if I didn't try I wouldn't know.

I do intend to call them tomorrow morning but I do feel that I am majorly too late. Has anyone been successful in a late application to nursing either this year or last year or if anyone has an opinion in general on the possibility of a positive outcome.

I realize this is totally my own fault but I never knew there was an existing test for mature applicants. The only reason I put off applying before Feb 1st was for two reasons, I hadn't made up my mind between nursing and midwifery, therefore the locations were going to be different and I was also under pressure financially at the time and hadn't the application fee and didn't bother asking to borrow it as I thought I had loads of time to apply in the coming weeks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jewell

Unfortunately, there is no way to apply late for mature nursing, but if you have enough points from your level cert,(even if it was yrs ago) you can apply for nursing or midwifery using the standard codes (as leaving cert students would)this would mean you wouldnt need to sit apptidude test etc. the points for last few yrs for nursing in ucc are around 450 for general and midwifery and a little lower for pysch & id.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

To be honest its very unlikely they will allow a late application. They do tend to be quite strict on deadlines. But there's no harm in asking. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

jewell wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there is no way to apply late for mature nursing, but if you have enough points from your level cert,(even if it was yrs ago) you can apply for nursing or midwifery using the standard codes (as leaving cert students would)this would mean you wouldnt need to sit apptidude test etc. the points for last few yrs for nursing in ucc are around 450 for general and midwifery and a little lower for pysch & id.

Thanks for the reply. I was delighted to read your suggestion and then fell flat when I realised my LC points are way off. I cannot believe how much General Nursing has soared since I was at school.

Advertisement