Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree felling in Merlin Woods

Options
  • 24-03-2013 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I walk through Merlin Woods on a daily basis with my dogs and lately I am noticing more and more people in cutting down trees or cutting off limbs of trees and with hand saws. A few times now I have seen them (adults and children) bringing the logs back to the halting site nearby. If you walk through you can see multiple trees with missing limbs, or freshly sawn ones lying on the ground with sawdust around them, and often they are quite young and not very well established. This morning there were two different groups in the woods in different places sawing away. If it was just one or two I wouldn't be bothered but there are loads like this. I can post a few photos later. Is it legal to do this to trees on public property? I'd doubt it. The place is already like a rubbish tip in places with broken bottles thrown about after parties and people illegally dumping their household refuse.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Who owns Merlin Woods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Not surprising.
    Some groups of people piss all over society; then whinge about supposedly not being given equality within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Not surprising.
    Some groups of people piss all over society; then whinge about supposedly not being given equality within it.

I get what you mean here; so I'm going to pre-emptively nip this in the bud by saying that discussion of any groups of people and their standing within society is not gonna fly on this thread.

Tree felling and Merlin Woods only please, guys.

Dissidents will be melted down into non-toxic crayons and given to the local playschools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

If a tree is felled in Merlin Woods and no one is around to hear it. Do the public make a noise :pac:

ill get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

OP, I'm pretty sure it's illegal, so maybe contact the gardai or community wardens next time you see it? They probably need to catch people in the act to be able to do anything about it so need to be contacted at the time its going on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

depends on whether it's happening on private lands, who is doing the cutting, is there a permit required, is there a tree preservation order etc. - by the gist of it it sounds like they're randomly harvesting for firewood so video evidence is the only thing that the Environment Dept in the Council will be able to go on for a case, if indeed it is illegal.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Seems this is not a new phenomenon:

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/25494

It's strange however because there are many trees (conifers) lying throughout the woods on the ground which look like they have been blown over by the wind.They don't seem to be interested in these and instead cut limbs off smaller, deciduous type trees. To me it looks like they are targeting specific tree types, which is strange if it's just for fire wood.

As for the household refuse, it looks like people are dumping it and then setting fire to it, probably in an effort to avoid being identified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Illegal tree felling in Merlin Park has been going on for years.

http://galwaybiodiversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Merlin-Park-Woods-Final-report-4-Nov.pdf

Law enforcement is badly needed but is unlikely to happen.

Photo and video evidence would be useful, IMO.

The tree felling has been happening for ages alright, but particularly bad this winter. Check out Friends of Merlin Woods on facebook, lots of pictures.
    Most of the damaged trees are ash- this burns well even when freshly cut.
    The city council are aware, but it would be an idea to contact them if you have photos, especially if damage is recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Merlin Woods is under the management of Galway City Council. Do report it to them, they apparently have a warden/staff responsible for the woods (though I've heard nothing about or from them in a few years). Simply report to The city councils parks department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

You should get in touch with these guys on Facebook - Friends of Merlin Woods
    They are being very active in trying to stop this sort of thing

Advertisement