Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can I pay for petrol with card details but no card?

• 24-03-2013 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

not a clue where to post this, so might aswell post here to get the best response.

I'm in Cork city at work until 5pm. My wallet is at home.. I live in Tipp. I've got no petrol..

Can I go to a garage and pay for petrol by giving credit card details without having the card in person?

Anyone done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do they have a method of inputting details without the card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

not a clue kneemos, I'm still in work. I finish at 5 so I'll head to a garage then if it's possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

You should ring a couple of gargages before you leave work. If you can't get petrol without your card ask a colleague for a loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's possible but they more than likely won't do it for you because they'd need to contact your credit card company and do a whole load of verification. Do you get petrol there often? Just explain your situation and they might allow you to pay the next time you're in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

As long as it's not a pay at the pump setup, you *may* be able to do this. You'll need your card number, expiry date and possibly the CVV. It all depends on your bank and the person at the till - there's a good chance they'll say no but it's worth asking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You should be able to do it the old fashioned way and just sign for it. Finding somewhere that would be willing to do it however might be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

As someone else said, it's doable but they'll have to ring for authorisation and so on. This is the whole reason there's chip and pin. They'll have to jump through the authorisation hoops with the bank. It's not ideal but i've had to do it a few times where I work and it doesn't take too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Technically this is possible, absolutely. As said above though, finding somewhere that'll do it for you will be the challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I think so long as you can produce your drivers licence as ID and it matches the name on your card you'd be OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Just fill the tank and tell them you forgot your card. They'll take your details and you'll cover it.

• Advertisement

Jaggy wrote: »
    As someone else said, it's doable but they'll have to ring for authorisation and so on. This is the whole reason there's chip and pin, so they'll have to jump through the authorisation hoops with the bank. It's not ideal but i've had to do it a few times where I work and it doesn't take too long.

That's not true. You should be able to manually enter CC info sans card with absolutely no additional authorisation steps on 99% of credit card machines. The only issue is whether a retailer will actually do it, as the fallout for them should someone give them someone else's card information illegally and have them enter it manually would be quite significant potentially, from a PR standpoint if nothing else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭grange mac

Once you know your num exp and security code (3 nums back card) should be fine, co I used to work for took payments over phone...never any hastle.If had card, key in pin if cust not present you will be asked for pin and security code.

COYVB wrote: »
    That's not true. You should be able to manually enter CC info sans card with absolutely no additional authorisation steps on 99% of credit card machines. The only issue is whether a retailer will actually do it, as the fallout for them should someone give them someone else's card information illegally and have them enter it manually would be quite significant potentially, from a PR standpoint if nothing else

On the machine where I work, if you manually enter a number it then takes you through the authorisation process. You've to ring the bank / credit card company or whatever number is on the top of the machine and they give you a code to authorise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Of course you can. Whether or not a retailer will allow you is another detail. Personally I'd ask a colleague for a loan.

On the machine where I work, if you manually enter a number it then takes you through the authorisation process. You've to ring the bank / credit card company or whatever number is on the top of the machine and they give you a code to authorise it.

How do you deal with over the phone sales?

COYVB wrote: »
    How do you deal with over the phone sales?

The same way, ring the number for authorisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its possible to do it, but there is no way in hell a filling station will let a random stranger do this.

If one of my staff did this it would be a warning and a severe bollicking as well.

See if you can borrow money at work, I wouldnt recommend filling the car and then doing the old I left my wallet behind stunt either, It could be a long way to Tipp if your stuck in the local garda station in cork.

The same way, ring the number for authorisation.

Yeah, that's not normal. Your terminal is set up wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I assume Garages have some method to deal, when you fill up without a payment method they take your reg and get you to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It can be but more than likely not done. Try and borrow some money from someone in work. Otherwise could someone get the bus down and bring your wallet to you.

• Advertisement

A tenner I presume would get you back to Tipp,might be easier to presuade a garage if that's all your getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I've once paid with credit card details and no card present. <card number>, <expiry date>, <cvv number>, processed, authorised, two printouts, cash taken off the account, no over the phone authorisation was necessary.

This is probably for your safety in case the numbers used were stolen. Once bank authorised it - takes responsibility.

The most important question is will you find a person over the counter willing to process th payment for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Definitely possible to take payment without card present, I've done it as a hotel night porter many times.

And if you were a local OP then the garage owner would have no problems doing it for you but you're not a local so I think there is no chance.

Ask someone in work for a lend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Do you have a phone if so ask the petrol station if you could use that as a guarantee that you will back to pay for the petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

I tend to be in one place and lads who work for me another, have bought virtually everything over the phone including fuel for them using just card details, no card present. But some places can be whingey about it unless it's for a decent amnount.

One "approach" is to drive in, brim the tank to the top(ie about €100-€120 of fuel, then wander in innocently clutching your card details but no card. The potential loss of over €100 tends to free up their attitude to jumping through the hoops to get verification without the card being present. That would be my approach, but then I've a neck like a jockeys.:)

Dwork wrote: »
    I tend to be in one place and lads who work for me another, have bought virtually everything over the phone including fuel for them using just card details, no card present. But some places can be whingey about it unless it's for a decent amnount.

One "approach" is to drive in, brim the tank to the top(ie about €100-€120 of fuel, then wander in innocently clutching your card details but no card. The potential loss of over €100 tends to free up their attitude to jumping through the hoops to get verification without the card being present. That would be my approach, but then I've a neck like a jockeys.:)

If you did that to me id be ringing the guards, no way in hell would you be leaving the forecourt without paying.

the filling station has no way of knowing who the card belongs to, and even if you get authorisation theres nothing to stop a chargeback being filed which the filling staion would lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Its possibly but easily open to fraud, so I can see why the garages don't like it.
    Last month I filled my car and only then realized I had no wallet. After a bit of moaning by the staff they said I could ring someone and get their credit card details to pay over the phone.

I'd go with Chuck Stones method,just put in what you need and say you forgot your card (all true) it happens all the time surly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'd actually fill up and then go in to the shop and tell them you didn't realise you don't have your card with you.

Let them take your name/phone number and obviously your car reg. Then pay them back next time you're down there.

It happens all the time I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I wouldn't brim it but I'd certainly put in enough to get you home, I'd also bring in my drivers licence so they can make a note of it for their own peace of mind.

Another thing you could do is ring a friend and have them give their details over the phone, they can legitimately put through a customer not present transaction then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

i think they can do it on the card machine because sometimes the swipe doesn't work on some cards and you have to do it manually. it used t be like that about 4 years ago anyway.it could be different now but no harm in asking in the garage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Just fill the tank and tell them you forgot your card. They'll take your details and you'll cover it.

That's the way. Don't fill the tank though – just get enough to tide you over.

I've done that.

Shelflife wrote: »
    If you did that to me id be ringing the guards, no way in hell would you be leaving the forecourt without paying.

the filling station has no way of knowing who the card belongs to, and even if you get authorisation theres nothing to stop a chargeback being filed which the filling staion would lose.
    Why? There is no requirement for the card to be present. As long as the details are there, the holder has photo ID and the Credit card company pases the payment, it's all good.

As for "calling the gards", ahh, stop, will ya. What would you say "Hoi Gard, there's a customer here trying to inconvenience me with an unusual payment method, send the ERU at once, Please".

You do know tht you can write your own "cheque" on a blank piece of paper btw, as long as it contains all the info present on a normal cheque and both parties consent, your bank will comply. People get awfully hung up about money, sure it's just a way of transferring funds from a to b at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yeah they can do it, but they're open to the card being used fraudulently so, they're basically taking you at your word that the card isn't fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

OP if you're with Ulster Bank you can ring them and they'll give you a special pin that you can use in their ATM's that will allow you to withdraw up to €200 without a card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    OP if you're with Ulster Bank you can ring them and they'll give you a special pin that you can use in their ATM's that will allow you to withdraw up to €200 without a card.

PTSB can do that too

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I wouldn't brim it but I'd certainly put in enough to get you home, I'd also bring in my drivers licence so they can make a note of it for their own peace of mind.

Another thing you could do is ring a friend and have them give their details over the phone, they can legitimately put through a customer not present transaction then.
    Cool. Stay sitting in the car after you fill it and just phone your details into the cashier. S'all good. This is getting waaaay windy and overcomplicated. Walk home OP. Visa do the same with the "Phone a PIN" thing. I lost my card in paris and they texted me a pin that made the money machines happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Cheers everyone.

I went for a smoke there and I decided to sit in my car as it's freezing. Found about 3 quid in coins, so I said I'd check the boot. Found a moneybox from when i moved house recently in a bag, and it's got about 23 euro in coins in it! happy days!

Thanks for all the info, I'm sure some people will be stuck in the future and can use this as help.

Why? There is no requirement for the card to be present. As long as the details are there, the holder has photo ID and the Credit card company pases the payment, it's all good.

As for "calling the gards", ahh, stop, will ya. What would you say "Hoi Gard, there's a customer here trying to inconvenience me with an unusual payment method, send the ERU at once, Please".

You do know tht you can write your own "cheque" on a blank piece of paper btw, as long as it contains all the info present on a normal cheque and both parties consent, your bank will comply. People get awfully hung up about money, sure it's just a way of transferring funds from a to b at the end of the day.

Dwork im not sure what area of work you are in, but if a total stranger came into where you work and wanted to take €100 off you and offered you a cheque written out on a piece of paper are you telling me that you would happily take it?

With the new chip and pin machines you over ride the pin requirement at your own risk. again a total stranger gives you a number written on a piece of paper and says thats my cc number and you accept it? In the event of a chargeback claim you havent a leg to stand on.

Taking the reg and licence number is only as a last resort and if they are non irish, then its a waste of time.

Unfortunatly its a sign of the times that you cant trust anyone anymore.

Dwork not having a go , but when youve been on the wrong side of these situations you get very hard and very cynical.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Dwork im not sure what area of work you are in, but if a total stranger came into where you work and wanted to take €100 off you and offered you a cheque written out on a piece of paper are you telling me that you would happily take it?

With the new chip and pin machines you over ride the pin requirement at your own risk. again a total stranger gives you a number written on a piece of paper and says thats my cc number and you accept it? In the event of a chargeback claim you havent a leg to stand on.

Taking the reg and licence number is only as a last resort and if they are non irish, then its a waste of time.

Unfortunatly its a sign of the times that you cant trust anyone anymore.

Dwork not having a go , but when youve been on the wrong side of these situations you get very hard and very cynical.
    I buy stuff for companies for a living. I will quite happily wander in to a business I've never dealt with before and walk out clutching sundry goods often worth rather a lot in exchange for nothing more than a business card, a chat and some assurances. I'm a charming fecker though and exude trustworthiness. Probably because I am trustworthy. People will trust you far more than you might think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

Whether he did it because the victim was gay, autistic or because he was being cheered on by other equally stupid people, or because he didn't know oil was flammable, bla bla bla - he should be have been given a much longer sentence.

What difference does it really make if he had planned this month in advance because the victim was gay and autistic or did it in a moment of stupidity on the night - the end result is the same, a young innocent man was burned to death, possibly the most painful way to die in the world.

I really don't want to share the world with absolute f**king pricks like this guy, or the guy who killed Nicola Furlong. When or what will it take for the system to change and lock these pricks up for a long time, how do we expect people to start having personal responsibility for their own actions and carry on like idiots with no fear of the farcical judicial system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I buy stuff for companies for a living. I will quite happily wander in to a business I've never dealt with before and walk out clutching sundry goods often worth rather a lot in exchange for nothing more than a business card, a chat and some assurances. I'm a charming fecker though and exude trustworthiness. Probably because I am trustworthy. People will trust you far more than you might think.

I don't trust you dwork, I'm immune to your charm ya big charmer.
    Tearwave wrote: »
    Whether he did it because the victim was gay, autistic or because he was being cheered on by other equally stupid people, or because he didn't know oil was flammable, bla bla bla - he should be have been given a much longer sentence.

What difference does it really make if he had planned this month in advance because the victim was gay and autistic or did it in a moment of stupidity on the night - the end result is the same, a young innocent man was burned to death, possibly the most painful way to die in the world.

I really don't want to share the world with absolute f**king pricks like this guy, or the guy who killed Nicola Furlong. When or what will it take for the system to change and lock these pricks up for a long time, how do we expect people to start having personal responsibility for their own actions and carry on like idiots with no fear of the farcical judicial system.

Think you're lost buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

Sorry new around here, thought I had the other thread open

Advertisement