Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WSE Urgent!!

• 24-03-2013 2:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭

We have A WSE coming up in May. Could any teacher please tell me what their experience of this was like? What did they look for? They no longer do individual subject reviews Im told.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary or secondary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

We had one in my school last year I(secondary), and whilst we were initially dreading it, the actual event itself was handled in a calm and non-threatening fashion by the Inspectors. They were both most laudatory in most aspects of teaching and learning.

One of them came into my class, and it proved to be a most fruitful experience for me, in that it was my first time to be inspected since my H. Dip. many, many moons ago. The Inspector deemed my work to be exemplary, thus putting to rest any doubts (for the moment!) I may have had regarding effective teaching on my part. For me, it was good to have my work appraised, and that I am on the right track!
    Make sure your Subject Plan is up to date, with clear but broad outlines of work for the year. As your WSE is at the end of the year, make sure there are no topics in there that you intended to but haven't managed to cover.
    The Inspector observed my class, and asked students some questions at the end, and looked at some copies. I had given comments for improvement mostly, and this was preferred, rather than a grade. I think AFL (assessment for learning) was the buzzphrase of the day. In all, I found the Inspectors to be fair, professional and supportive, as did my colleagues.
    Hope this helps.

picturehangup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

Overhyped storm in a teacup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

despite the big hullabaloo twas a storm in a teacup as previous poster stated...

things to satisfy dept....

Afl: write comments in students copybooks telling them their strengths and weeknesses etc.

Mixed ability

Bring in literacy and numeracy

Low teacher talk time/high student talk time...

I get the feeling that these things are so tame that if it gets into public opinion demands will be made to make the school do more self evaluation and tie it to performance reviews to create an alternative to the increment system. But thats just the cynic in me...

Anyway op I found that the older teachers were more up in arms about inspectors comments as they weren't as familiar with the buzzword context that more recent qualified folk...nothing to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Armelodie wrote: »
    despite the big hullabaloo twas a storm in a teacup as previous poster stated...

things to satisfy dept....

Afl: write comments in students copybooks telling them their strengths and weeknesses etc.

Mixed ability

Bring in literacy and numeracy

Low teacher talk time/high student talk time...

I get the feeling that these things are so tame that if it gets into public opinion demands will be made to make the school do more self evaluation and tie it to performance reviews to create an alternative to the increment system. But thats just the cynic in me...

Anyway op I found that the older teachers were more up in arms about inspectors comments as they weren't as familiar with the buzzword context that more recent qualified folk...nothing to worry about

Agree with every word Armelodie - spot on.

I'd add in that in relation to AfL they're mad into putting the learning objectives on the board too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭Lockedout

Thanks for all that its Secondary. I do a fair bit of prep but a bit hap haphazard about writing down what I do! Im head of English-which doesnt mean a great deal. Plan was to be revised but I didnt get work from rest of teachers or wont get it until after Easter and I have no intention of running around like a blue arse fly because they were late. I had my bit done last November.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Just out of interest what date is your WSE beginning on? We've been waiting one for so long at this stage we were convinced we'd get it in May but haven't heard anything yet!

Lockedout wrote: »
    Thanks for all that its Secondary. I do a fair bit of prep but a bit hap haphazard about writing down what I do! Im head of English-which doesnt mean a great deal. Plan was to be revised but I didnt get work from rest of teachers or wont get it until after Easter and I have no intention of running around like a blue arse fly because they were late. I had my bit done last November.

Me too, I know exactly what you mean, I could've written this. I had a subject inspection last week(English) and I just changed a wee bit of the subject policy and stuck Jan 2013 on it. I updated last year's long-term plans, adjusted my medium term and used the kids' copies to fill in the gaps in my diary - similar to you, I'm quite haphazard.

Have a few "super" classes prepared for the inspection days, get the kids used to having the learning objective written on the board if they're not used to it and get the copies fairly up to date (I say 'fairly', because I don't think it's possible or realistic for an English teacher to mark every copy every week).

Our inspector criticised our long-term plans for being structured around the exam, not the curriculum; that was the big one.

We did pretty much the same preparation for the WSE last year. Incidentally, if you were inspected in the last few years, they WILL look at that subject again and check to see if recommendations were implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We had one last year...and total panic was all I could say about the few weeks in the run up to it...more paer and plans were produced than anyone could ever need and then when you thought you had everything in the file someone found something else 'that just had to be part of the file'...in fairness though it really was 'a storm in a tea cup' as mentioned above...they came, interrogated the board, gave surveys to 5th yrs and their parents, questioned 5 students from across the school (only the senior students spoke according to the younger ones who were terrified)....most teachers had an inspector in their room (3/4 escaped totally, one got inspected twice...all those in subbing on mat leave etc were not inspected at all)...it was a total pain in the ass and wasted a lot of time...but if we have one again at least we know not to worry !!

As a subject head (English) what would they expect me to have?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

In my experience, a common department plan, minutes of meetings and analysis of state exams.

They will want the plans to be based on curriculum learning objectives. They will want to see common assessment for in-house exams. They like to see teaching and learning as a discussion topic in the meetings. And that any recommendations made previously by inspectors have been implemented.

In my experience, a common department plan, minutes of meetings and analysis of state exams.

They will want the plans to be based on curriculum learning objectives. They will want to see common assessment for in-house exams. They like to see teaching and learning as a discussion topic in the meetings. And that any recommendations made previously by inspectors have been implemented.

Not a subject head myself but +1 to the above, our inspectors took away all documents and said they wanted to see if they were living documents, not necessarily loads of solutions to problems but things kept up for continuous review...

Dont forget provision for special needs/mixed ability... Fliers for extra curricular stuff attended or subject associations look good too...

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

This won't be a popular reply but if we are doing our jobs professionally then there should be no fear of any inspection. By professionally I mean having short, medium and long term planning and adequate records kept. Teachers inventing super classes and putting plans together because an inspector is coming is a sad reflection of our profession. Everyone might need to do a tidy up but I have a real issue with people who are unprepared and haphazard in their working pretending to be otherwise to please the inspectorate. Do the students not deserve an appropriate standard all the time?

fall wrote: »
    This won't be a popular reply but if we are doing our jobs professionally then there should be no fear of any inspection. By professionally I mean having short, medium and long term planning and adequate records kept. Teachers inventing super classes and putting plans together because an inspector is coming is a sad reflection of our profession. Everyone might need to do a tidy up but I have a real issue with people who are unprepared and haphazard in their working pretending to be otherwise to please the inspectorate. Do the students not deserve an appropriate standard all the time?

Of course there should be no fear, but fears aren't always rational. Everyone does plans, regardless of inspection. The difference is that with an an inspection, you are always going to question if they are good enough or up to the Department's standard. You are also going to fill in any inevitable gaps in your record-keeping.

Why would you assume that people get nervous only because they are unprepared? I could equally argue that someone who doesn't get a bit anxious doesn't give a sh*t.

The "super class" quote was mine. The recent inspection was the only chance I got to "show off" my teaching, so of course I gave it my best, by making sure that all of my lessons for the two days were extremely well-prepared. What would you suggest - that teachers prepare crap classes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

I do think you need to be careful with wse. If every teacher suddenly starts putting objectives on the board the kids will see it and ultimately let you down.

We had one recently. The feedback was very positive which gave morale a small boost. Personally I dont agree with putting on a show, if it's good enough for my students every day it's good enough for any inspector. If it needs to be dressed up there may be a bigger issue.

Not all lessons can be all singing all dancing, even if the inspector does ramble in to a boring lesson so be it, once it's seen in the context of the progression of lessons, the particular topic and the class group. It will be very evident in any class whether or not good teaching happens or not. And if it doesnt the inspectors have very little concrete to offer.

The whole wse system is a box ticking paperpushing exercise. We spent two days filling out a questionnaire. All of the info was already in the dept. From October returns, waste of resources in this respect.

Of course there should be no fear, but fears aren't always rational. Everyone does plans, regardless of inspection. The difference is that with an an inspection, you are always going to question if they are good enough or up to the Department's standard. You are also going to fill in any inevitable gaps in your record-keeping.

Why would you assume that people get nervous only because they are unprepared? I could equally argue that someone who doesn't get a bit anxious doesn't give a sh*t.

The "super class" quote was mine. The recent inspection was the only chance I got to "show off" my teaching, so of course I gave it my best, by making sure that all of my lessons for the two days were extremely well-prepared. What would you suggest - that teachers prepare crap classes?
    Teaching is not for showing off and why would any educator ever prepare a crap class. You have a chance to show off, as you put it, your teaching everyday to your students. An impending inspection should not warrant a change. The students are the focus, not impressing someone else.

Teaching is not for showing off and why would any educator ever prepare a crap class. You have a chance to show off, as you put it, your teaching everyday to your students. An impending inspection should not warrant a change. The students are the focus, not impressing someone else.

I put "showing off" in quotation marks for a reason and it was in the context of an inspection, not the everyday job of teaching in general. To put it in other words - an inspection is the only chance for external validation, so obviously you're going to do your best.

I don't think you should knock people for wanting to do their best in front of the inspector and cynically assume that those who do, don't bother for the rest of the year.

I do think you need to be careful with wse. If every teacher suddenly starts putting objectives on the board the kids will see it and ultimately let you down.

But the learning objectives are nothing new. Everyone does it anyway - you might put a title on the board or tell the class what they're going to do today, so it's not a radical change.

I find that kids really rise to the occasion when it comes to things like this; they are aware of someone being in the room and can be ridiculously well-behaved, even when you'd love an inspector to see what we have to deal with from students sometimes.

I want to do my best everyday and not because the inspector is there. That is my point. You keep talking about changing what you are doing to please the inspector. I want the inspector to see the teacher I really am.
    Also the use of words like haphazard about planning and earlier posts that stated a cut and paste job was done on yearly plans when they knew the inspector was coming does us so much damage as professionals. There are enough people out there that think we show up teach and go home and those kind of posts encourage that belief.
    I spend two weeks at the end of August every year updating and preparing my yearly plans and my short term plans. I do not need to cut and paste in March because the inspector is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I want to do my best everyday and not because the inspector is there. That is my point. You keep talking about changing what you are doing to please the inspector. I want the inspector to see the teacher I really am.
    Also the use of words like haphazard about planning and earlier posts that stated a cut and paste job was done on yearly plans when they knew the inspector was coming does us so much damage as professionals. There are enough people out there that think we show up teach and go home and those kind of posts encourage that belief.
    I spend two weeks at the end of August every year updating and preparing my yearly plans and my short term plans. I do not need to cut and paste in March because the inspector is coming.

How lucky you are to know what classes you will be teaching and what plans you will need in August!

• Advertisement

Also the use of words like haphazard about planning and earlier posts that stated a cut and paste job was done on yearly plans when they knew the inspector was coming does us so much damage as professionals.

I had to reread my posts and I presume this is what you're referring to:
    I just changed a wee bit of the subject policy and stuck Jan 2013 on it. I updated last year's long-term plans, adjusted my medium term and used the kids' copies to fill in the gaps in my diary - similar to you, I'm quite haphazard.

The policy update hadn't been done in September as I was off on maternity leave. Not wanting to let the school down because I wasn't there to update the policy, I did it when I got back. We use common yearly plans and they needed a look. When I say "haphazard", I mean that I sometimes forget/don't have time to fill in my diary. The work is done, but inspectors tend to require proof.

Those "changes" are all paperwork and I did not want an inspection report to focus on this stuff instead of on the actual teaching. It's not like I suddenly changed my teaching.

I'd love to be so laid-back that I could have left all that stuff there for the inspector to take it as she finds it, but I guess it's not in my nature. I wanted to do the very best I could for myself, the department and the school. I would liken it to an interview, where I wouldn't turn up in my 'normal' clothes, I would try to look my best, give the best impression and have all the paperwork in order.

How lucky you are to know what classes you will be teaching and what plans you will need in August!

I know. We have our timetable by the start of July.

I had to reread my posts and I presume this is what you're referring to:

The policy update hadn't been done in September as I was off on maternity leave. Not wanting to let the school down because I wasn't there to update the policy, I did it when I got back. We use common yearly plans and they needed a look. When I say "haphazard", I mean that I sometimes forget/don't have time to fill in my diary. The work is done, but inspectors tend to require proof.

Those "changes" are all paperwork and I did not want an inspection report to focus on this stuff instead of on the actual teaching. It's not like I suddenly changed my teaching.

I'd love to be so laid-back that I could have left all that stuff there for the inspector to take it as she finds it, but I guess it's not in my nature. I wanted to do the very best I could for myself, the department and the school. I would liken it to an interview, where I wouldn't turn up in my 'normal' clothes, I would try to look my best, give the best impression and have all the paperwork in order.
    And again I want to do my best everyday. I have made this point over and over again. I do it for myself as a professional and for my students who will only do second level once. I try to do my best everyday. It is not laid back to try to do your best everyday.
    I have seen some of the laziest people put on a fabulous show for the inspector. They are up to ninety for the weeks before the inspector comes in making posters for the walls and inventing paperwork. I know lots of teachers are not like that but some leave a lot to be desired and it is the whole 'don't let the school down' line that you hear yet they let the students down every day the inspector is not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

But the learning objectives are nothing new. Everyone does it anyway - you might put a title on the board or tell the class what they're going to do today, so it's not a radical change.

I find that kids really rise to the occasion when it comes to things like this; they are aware of someone being in the room and can be ridiculously well-behaved, even when you'd love an inspector to see what we have to deal with from students sometimes.

In my case I dont write objectives on the board so I didn't do it for the inspection. Some of my colleagues started doing new stuff just for the inspector.

If you do it all the time well and good. I know what you mean about the show, and the kids rising to the occasion. My point was that one kid in my scholar asked the teacher should he take down the objectives as he had never had them written up in that class before. In an effort to be enthusiastic he hung the teacher! Thats why I say do as you always do.

In any case, best of luck.

And again I want to do my best everyday. I have made this point over and over again. I do it for myself as a professional and for my students who will only do second level once. I try to do my best everyday. It is not laid back to try to do your best everyday.
    I have seen some of the laziest people put on a fabulous show for the inspector. They are up to ninety for the weeks before the inspector comes in making posters for the walls and inventing paperwork. I know lots of teachers are not like that but some leave a lot to be desired and it is the whole 'don't let the school down' line that you hear yet they let the students down every day the inspector is not there.

We all want to do our best everyday but I think you are misunderstanding me about the attitude towards the inspection. A lot of people cannot be cool, calm and collected when there is an inspector coming. Some may panic because they have nothing done, some (like me) are anxious that everything be done right and some naturally get nervous at the prospect of someone coming into inspect their teaching. We are not robots or all the same.

The point I have been trying to make is that just because someone is panicking about an inspection, it doesn't mean that they're unprepared or a bad teacher.

The people you refer to who are lazy and don't do their jobs properly might get caught out on a drive-by inspection. But you know what? Unless they're battering the students, they won't be sanctioned or lose their jobs. So you may as well enjoy watching them flap about. Just don't label everyone who prepares for an inspection with the same brush.

In my case I dont write objectives on the board so I didn't do it for the inspection. Some of my colleagues started doing new stuff just for the inspector.

If you do it all the time well and good. I know what you mean about the show, and the kids rising to the occasion. My point was that one kid in my scholar asked the teacher should he take down the objectives as he had never had them written up in that class before. In an effort to be enthusiastic he hung the teacher! Thats why I say do as you always do.

In one class I got inspected for, I only said what we were doing and got them to write it in their copies. It was mentioned in feedback that it wasn't written on the board, but he noted that the objective was given. They have boxes to be ticked. The majority of the stuff they are looking for, we are doing anyway. The difference is, the inspectorate wants it labelled, written down and in a certain format.

If the teacher only started doing it the day of the inspection, then I don't know how much sympathy I'd have. You get notice of inspections, plenty of time to get your ass in gear. After all, that's partly what inspections are - a kick up the ass to keep you motivated/afraid. It's pretty much impossible to fire a teacher, so the 'threat' of inspection might be the only thing getting some teachers to up their game.

We all want to do our best everyday but I think you are misunderstanding me about the attitude towards the inspection. A lot of people cannot be cool, calm and collected when there is an inspector coming. Some may panic because they have nothing done, some (like me) are anxious that everything be done right and some naturally get nervous at the prospect of someone coming into inspect their teaching. We are not robots or all the same.

The point I have been trying to make is that just because someone is panicking about an inspection, it doesn't mean that they're unprepared or a bad teacher.

The people you refer to who are lazy and don't do their jobs properly might get caught out on a drive-by inspection. But you know what? Unless they're battering the students, they won't be sanctioned or lose their jobs. So you may as well enjoy watching them flap about. Just don't label everyone who prepares for an inspection with the same brush.[/
    You keep asking me not to knock a teacher who would be nervous. Where did I say that? I joined this conversation to say if you have to make huge changes because you hear the inspector is coming then there is something wrong. You have talked all around that point but never acknowledged it. I never once spoke about how people feel that has been you. I acknowledged that everyone will check over there stuff but for the last and final time if you are creating a scenario that is not a true reflection of the teacher you are every day and that you make improvements for the inspectors sake but not the STUDENTS then I don't see that as a good teacher.
    It is not the inspectors life I impact upon. It is my students.

No offence Fall but cool it a bit. You dont know me and will probably never meet me. There is nothing wrong with putting on a special show fore the inspectors. Everybody wants to make a good impression for the school.
    I get my timetable late August. I teach in a difficult school. Plans are all well and good but the students I teach-dont do homework and are often absent. Even when in school they are tired and listless. A good quarter come to class without books and copies.
    There is only so much detention and suspension we can impose. Like many schools we have lost so many management posts we are all giving up "free" classes that used to be for preparation to fill in these posts.

Im not a slave to a plan because of what I have written above, but also because Im constantly coming across new material I would like to try. Planning can be a straight jacket and combine it with kids-you almost have an oxymoron!

I have written to the chief inspector about the falseness of inspections particularly the way the kids put on a show of good behavior thus giving the impression that all is well in discipline land. To be fair to him he wrote a lengthy reply but didnt acknowledge the reality of poor discipline in many schools.

Im going toleave it there.

No offence but cool it a bit? That is offensive. I teach in a Deis 1 school with all the problems you can think of so thanks but don't need to be patronised. Teachers have been hit, absenteeism among staff and students is high etc.
    I welcome the child who goes mental when the inspectors are in and children with real problems don't care who is in the room. Let them see the reality. That has nothing to do with with your efforts to plan. I have been through every inspection possible, subject, wse, programme coordinator etc. Inspectors have seen all sorts of behaviours. It is how I deal with it that is important.

What is so wrong with saying your plans should already be up to date? Why has that irked you? Try explaining to someone in the private sector that your plans are not up to date when you work 33 weeks of the year.
    I stand by my point, there should be minimal additional work when the inspector is coming. I don't care what kind of students you teach, that does not excuse anyone from doing their job to an appropriate standard.
    By the way If the inspector says well done your class was brilliant and it was all just a show, does that mean your a good teacher?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fall, please attack the post, not the poster.
    None of us knows anything about the circumstances of others and should not presume anything.

Anyone with helpful tips or advice regarding WSE for the OP please post away.

Post deleted....

I dont think comparisons between the Private and Public sector are really relevant to a class room of kids. Because that means Im the boss-the kids are the employees. I dont know many employers who would tolerate abusive language on a daily basis or employees never doing any work.

Look to be fair-WSE should be an honest display of what goes on but the Inspectorate themselves dont aid this process. They never ask for discipline reports. They never evaluate how the students perform ie if the teacher is prepared has the student kept his/her end of the bargain. Whole school means WHOLE school I presume not just teachers or are children to be excused of any responsibility-prep for life?!
    Its not a genuine dialogue . Often they are parading an agenda that has not been fully thought out.The latest craze is trying to get people shoe horned into Departments. They dont want to pay a Department head or give him/her any authority . They cant even provide proper training for their own ideas Take literacy-we waited for six months for an In-service and it was about setting up a group. A waste of time. We had one running for four months.

I think plans for schools are over rated because I find they need to be constantly adjusted. You can say we will start x on such a date but loo and behold half the kids have not got the book yet despite being given enough time and allowances being made for financial constraints. Or you find the students need extra time or that a generally unmotivated bunch took to something and thus you give it more time. You got to assess as you go along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

We got news of our impending WSE this week...
    I've never been through a WSE before. The prospect of being inspected in my classes does not worry me, but I'm trying to make sure I have everything ready documentation-wise that can possibly be asked for.

There are subject plans etc which we have for each department but I am more concerned about knowing what I as an individual can be asked for.

Can you tell me if I am on the right track, or point me to some sort of checklist for materials:

This is what I have:
    • Roll book with results/homework records. Attendance is on e-portal.
    • A folder for each class that I teach, containing schemes of work, hard copies of resources etc.
    • Two notebooks divided into subjects in which I write all of my daily lessons - just wondering if they will be acceptable to the inspector as they are as obviously they are mine and I use them in quite a personal way with notes etc, reminders, different things written in. In essence, they are not as neat as I would like but they do contain all the details of every lesson since the start of the year. I know they don't exactly expect a folder of lesson plans (like they do in the dip) but what type of presentation do they want?

Anything else I should expect to be asked for?

That sounds great. Don't change the note book. They like to see where you evaluate yourself and make changes. They will check copies to see do you give and correct homework and also are you using AFL strategies like comment only feedback. AFL is a big one, so little things like writing the objective of each lesson on the board at the start of class will be looked for.
    The use of ICT in your lessons is also a key area that they will evaluate and they will look to see how you manage mixed ability teaching and if your schemes reflect this differentiation.
    Best of luck. You sound well organised so just let them see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Thanks so much.
    By and large I feel ok about it, I'm just nervous because I'm not sure what exactly to expect. I know they speak with teachers after observing them - would they ask just about the lesson or the class in general? What types of questions are they likely to ask? ( if you don't mind! :) )

• Advertisement

Thanks so much.
    By and large I feel ok about it, I'm just nervous because I'm not sure what exactly to expect. I know they speak with teachers after observing them - would they ask just about the lesson or the class in general? What types of questions are they likely to ask? ( if you don't mind! :) )

Here's the deal...the way I/other teachers experienced it...The inspections were more of an overall structural assessment of the school on a macro level. It was a brief ' hello, goodbye ,that went grand, I liked x maybe consider y' type if observation...no major debriefing going on..they just tick the observation sheet and see if there is anything in common across all the teachers.

Seeing as how they were banging on about AFl and Self Evaluationduring/and after the inspections and during a whole_school inservice talk I get the feeling the way things are going it will be..
    1. Inspections of teachers gradually cutback.
    2. Principals/DP/department heads will take over the classroom observations.
    3. incriments/promotions will be based on this.

the current inspection system is only a means to an end..were being gently eased into the uk system of measurement, outcomes, climbing the career ladder to keep sanity within a decaying system.

Thats my cynical rant anyhow...basically..nothing to worry about as regards your own class teaching as long as theyre learning something..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

Armelodie wrote: »
    Self Exaltation

- I like it! :cool:

Fizzical wrote: »
    - I like it! :cool:

Yes self exaltation...its all the rage in the nordic countries, it's also how were going to compete against china going forward...

Sorry, predictive text.'self exaltation' should be 'self evaluation'

Have a read of some published reports on the DES website. You will get an idea what they are looking at. One of the last pages of the report shows a list of recommendations.
    I agree that we are heading towards the Ofsted model which will be a paperwork nightmare. The chief inspector has already said publicly that inspections are being decreased because they can't afford to sustain that system.
    As Armelodie said once there is learning going on they will be satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

My biggest problem with these inspections is the paperwork. Not that it shouldn't be done but the fact that it needs to be printed out. All our departmental plans/ subject plans evaluations etc are typed and in easy to access formats on the school server and in the cloud. Anybody that needs to see them need only to be given the location on the server. Our inspector insisted on them been printed out. 100's of pages of paper were wasted. We could have given him a laptop/ipad for the easy access. When we are been told to save money on photocopying day in day out this particularly gets on my nerves.

• Advertisement

That's crazy. I was programme coordinator for an inspection and I just emailed all my files to the inspector. She was actually sound.

Advertisement