Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help getting stray dog to stop running away

• 24-03-2013 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

There's a dog that's been running around my estate for the past few weeks that I think is a stray. He looks very ragged and his coat looks in knots and the odd time when I come out of my house he's laying down in the grass across from my door or he comes out of the bushes.

Anyway when i try and go over to him to see if he has a collar and to give him some food he runs off before i even get within about 20 metres of him. I've left out some food at the last spots he's been sitting but the birds seem to get through it before he comes back.

Is there any way I can get him to not run away so I can check him for a collar and make sure he gets the food I want to give him? As I said I only think he's a stray and maybe someone owns him and he is getting fed but I don't think so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Can you leave food in a sheltered place, in the same sheltered place, at the same time, every day, preferably in your garden. He might get used to the routine and it will make it easier to gain his trust. If it's in your garden, you can tap the window to keep the birds away until he shows up.

I caught a dog a few weeks back by squeaking a toy at him, running away, peeking out, squeaking again etc. He thought I was playing with him, followed me and I noosed him with my belt.

Alternatively, you could (probably should) call the warden, they have catch poles and while not pleasant to be caught like that, it's for the dogs good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Whispered wrote: »
    Can you leave food in a sheltered place, in the same sheltered place, at the same time, every day, preferably in your garden. He might get used to the routine and it will make it easier to gain his trust. If it's in your garden, you can tap the window to keep the birds away until he shows up.

I caught a dog a few weeks back by squeaking a toy at him, running away, peeking out, squeaking again etc. He thought I was playing with him, followed me and I noosed him with my belt.

Alternatively, you could (probably should) call the warden, they have catch poles and while not pleasant to be caught like that, it's for the dogs good.

Thanks. I live in a apartment so don't have a garden unfortunately but I'll put a few nuts in a dry spot in the bushes out where I saw him last. I might try the squeaky toy idea the next time I see him. I first saw him (presume it's a him anyway) about 3 weeks ago and he was limping badly and since then I've only seen him on a few occasions and he's moving fine now but he's still very afraid of humans coming near him. Hopefully someone does own him and he's just in need of a good brush but I'd really like to see him eat just for a bit of piece of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Honestly, if you can't get near him then the best bet would be the warden. I know there is a risk of him not getting out of the pound again, but it's better he has a chance of a nice life than no chance at all.

Best of luck.

Advertisement