Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Viber on non used iPhone!

• 24-03-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi I have an old iPhone 3GS that has no SIM card as not being used! However was thinking about giving it to family member to use it for Internet with my wifi!

Was wondering was there any way I could put viber on that old phone in their name so we could text each other?? All apps iTunes etc on old phone was downloaded from my iTunes acc!!

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Ccheidi wrote: »
    Hi I have an old iPhone 3GS that has no SIM card as not being used! However was thinking about giving it to family member to use it for Internet with my wifi!

Was wondering was there any way I could put viber on that old phone in their name so we could text each other?? All apps iTunes etc on old phone was downloaded from my iTunes acc!!

Thanks in advance ;)

Viber won't work without a sim but iMessage (the 'built in' version of viber) should work using your email address as the indenitifier.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3534170?start=0&tstart=0

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ccheidi

Am I right in thinking that if set up iCloud acc on old phone that for its new owner that they would have to keep that phone on them at all times to get iMessages even though that phone only works on wifi!
    Hope that makes sense!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

there's no point taking it out if there is no sim card in it

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

Viber works on iPads and iPod Touches which do not require a sim. You will be able to do this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

guil wrote: »
    there's no point taking it out if there is no sim card in it

what about as an ipod or for use where there is wifi available outside?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »

what about as an ipod or for use where there is wifi available outside?
    Obviously it could be used for those things but the op specifically asked about just using it for iMessage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

kaerobe wrote: »
    Viber works on iPads and iPod Touches which do not require a sim. You will be able to do this.

I tried installing it on an iPod Touch a few weeks ago, and it asked me for a mobile number for verification purposes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RainyDay wrote: »
    I tried installing it on an iPod Touch a few weeks ago, and it asked me for a mobile number for verification purposes.

doesnt stop you using it on the touch ie verify the number on another device

I think you can verify the number with any phone. It just sends an activation code to enter in viber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

godtabh wrote: »
    doesnt stop you using it on the touch ie verify the number on another device
    guil wrote: »
    I think you can verify the number with any phone. It just sends an activation code to enter in viber

True, though I have to find somebody who won't be using Viber on their own phone to 'donate' their number for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why not get a prepaid sim just for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

This post has been deleted.

Well you'll need the data for Viber if your out and about but if that's all your doing it will last ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The OP said he only wanted it for WiFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Hi there,
    I'm an official rep. from Viber.

Viber can be installed even with the lack of a SIM card.
    Here are the instructions, referring officially to iPods/iPads, but they are also relevant for all non-SIM card devices:

1. connect to WiFi from your iPad/iPod/Tablet.
    2. download and install Viber app. when asked for your number, enter your regular cellphone's number (or any other number of yours that can receive the code, for example a landline (fixed) number, a prepaid number, etc.), then confirm.
    3. an SMS message with the code will be sent to your regular cellular phone.
    4. take that code and use it in your iPad/iPod/Tablet. Viber will then be activated, and you're good to go.

* this means that if anyone dials your number on Viber, you will get the call on your iPad/iPod/Tablet.

Advertisement