Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good 24port (poe) GB switch.

Options
  • 24-03-2013 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

House is getting a full Cat6 cable network Installed and it will have a total of 22 terminations when I'm finished, and all wired back to utility room - cabinet or rack, ain't decided yet.

I am looking for advice for a good network switch to handle my new network.

Lots of media HD media streaming.

reason for poe is because I will be running/installing 3 i.p cameras as well.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Leiva wrote: »
    Hi,

House is getting a full Cat6 cable network Installed and it will have a total of 22 terminations when I'm finished, and all wired back to utility room - cabinet or rack, ain't decided yet.

I am looking for advice for a good network switch to handle my new network.

Lots of media HD media streaming.

reason for poe is because I will be running/installing 3 i.p cameras as well.

Any advice welcome.

If I remember right, poe is 100mbs only has some wires are used for power.

Most 24 port switches are 12 powered and 12 not and are really expensive. Might be a bit of a waste for 3 Ip cameras.

My advice would be get a good 24port GB switch and a 5/8 port powered one. Will probably work out cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Talking about serious money to have a 24 port POE switch. I'd just get a 24 port tp-link switch for ~100 euros and get a few POE injectors for your POE stuff (POE box and psu can be gotten for less than 15 euros).

We are talking about a home scenario after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If it's only 3x IP cameras they'll come with POEs

These are cheap and cheerful: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1024D-24-Port-Gigabit-Rackmount/dp/B003UWXFM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364206189&sr=8-1

Actually i just checked and amazon have a netgear gigabit managed POE 24 port switch for under 300 pounds!! Too good to be true I thought and I was right, lots of reports of the web gui interface being buggy beyond belief and fans than can be heard several rooms away.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'd say that the OP should also confirm that there is no fans in the switch, they will eventually get noisy and will fill up the switch with dust.

Saying that, fanless high port count gigabit switches are few and far between, several HP ProCurves are fanless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

BigEejit wrote: »
    I'd say that the OP should also confirm that there is no fans in the switch, they will eventually get noisy and will fill up the switch with dust.

Saying that, fanless high port count gigabit switches are few and far between, several HP ProCurves are fanless.

Doesn't really matter if it's going in a cabinet

Advertisement