Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Austria - K/O 7:45PM - Sky Sports 2 & RTÉ 2

• 24-03-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Keane awaiting scan on his calf. In a way if he didnt play and we lined out with 451 Mc Carthy Green and Hoolahan in the middle, it wouldnt be so bad.

/yeah Green.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

GO ON IRELAND!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Another 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Keane awaiting scan on his calf. In a way if he didnt play and we lined out with 451 Mc Carthy Green and Hoolahan in the middle, it wouldnt be so bad.

/yeah Green.....

that won't happen, if keane is injured sammon will play to keep his usual boring 442

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Weimann to score. Trap goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

mike65 wrote: »
    Weimann to score. Trap goes.

He doesn't even start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

1-0 Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

JPA wrote: »
    He doesn't even start.

Okay then he scores off the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

2 or 3-1 to Ireland, Long to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

JPA wrote: »
    He doesn't even start.

Weimann's played a total of 32 minutes in their 4 games so far. However he played and scored a few goals in the blessed Prem so he's obviously the first name on the teamsheet and by far their best and most dangerous player (possibly ever). ;)

==

As far as I can tell the Austria team is quite settled and seems to pick itself for the most part. 10 players have started at least 3 of their four games to date. I think their GK , back 4 and CM's and CAM will almost certainly be "Linder - Pogatetz, Prodl, Fuchs, Garics - Kavlak, Alaba - Junuzovic ;

Their other positions seem less certain. They don't seem to have established their preferred wide men and striker yet. Guys like Ivanschitz, Harnik and Arnautović have played wide so far (sometimes on both wings and Harnik even plays up front on occasion).

Also it appears to be a choice between Janko and Hoisner for the lone striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Austria are defo a potential slip up. they seem to very good at home so not looking forward to when we have to go over and play them...

I think we'll scrape a win, 1-0 maybe 2 but it wont be easy but if we play to the level we played against Sweden we'll win. I know we'd no shots on target but we had so many nearly moments and if it wasn't from a poor display from keane and also long blazing his good chance we had plenty to keep the faith from..

just hope trap doesn't pull anymore clangers and starts a good team. be great if the lads put in a big game and got goals as the goal difference is poor as usual but where are the goals going to come from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Keane out with a calf injury. Doyle called up as his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Golden chance for Holohan...but no it wont happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Roar wrote: »

Where's that...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Wonder did he let him know with a txt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

irish-stew wrote: »

he probably sent him a whattsapp msg

irish-stew wrote: »

Doubt it. Keane's the golden child. He can swan off to MLS and let his form go to pot and still expect to be one of the first names on the Ireland teamsheet.

I'm sure Keane probably got a three page letter written with fountain-pen and secured in wax with Trap's family seal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

roanoke wrote: »
    Doubt it. Keane's the golden child. He can swan off to MLS and let his form go to pot and still expect to be one of the first names on the Ireland teamsheet.

I'm sure Keane probably got a three page letter written with fountain-pen and secured in wax with Trap's royal seal.

I think he meant about telling Doyle.

Mushy wrote: »
    I think he meant about telling Doyle.

Ah! You're right :) Yeah I'm a bit ticked-off with Keane these days. Any mention of his selection/non-selection has me seeing red.

Sorry about that post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Finally a bit of luck, Keane is out for the next match :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

roanoke wrote: »
    Weimann's played a total of 32 minutes in their 4 games so far. However he played and scored a few goals in the blessed Prem so he's obviously the first name on the teamsheet and by far their best and most dangerous player (possibly ever). ;)

==

As far as I can tell the Austria team is quite settled and seems to pick itself for the most part. 10 players have started at least 3 of their four games to date. I think their GK , back 4 and CM's and CAM will almost certainly be "Linder - Pogatetz, Prodl, Fuchs, Garics - Kavlak, Alaba - Junuzovic ;

Their other positions seem less certain. They don't seem to have established their preferred wide men and striker yet. Guys like Ivanschitz, Harnik and Arnautović have played wide so far (sometimes on both wings and Harnik even plays up front on occasion).

Also it appears to be a choice between Janko and Hoisner for the lone striker.

They have a few useful players by the looks of things, although regular Bundesliga viewers will know more. Alaba has always impressed me for Bayern, and Arnautovic was provisionally signed by Inter, although they didn't make it permanent.

This game is huge, and Friday will have been for nothing if we don't win. We're just about odds on with the bookies which I actually think is too short. I have a horrible feeling we won't win, I can see Austria being better then we expect and going ahead, and we'll slowly grind our way back into it and get a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Very even match but ability wise I'd give us the edge but most likely this will be a draw. Its times like Tuesday where Trap is exposed and the critics are right. Its too easy to say 'we don't have the players' the theory doesn't hold when we get dominated at home by teams like Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I wasn't as eager as others to see Keane benched, but for ACM Hoolahan is a better choice imo. The only question now is if Trap will pick him. Any chance of Whelan recovering and replacing McCarthy? That would be funny.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I wasn't as eager as others to see Keane benched, but for ACM Hoolahan is a better choice imo. The only question now is if Trap will pick him. Any chance of Whelan recovering and replacing McCarthy? That would be funny.

We have a lot of 'Final Straws' when it comes to Trap, but I really think that would officially be the final straw if he drops McCarthy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Where's that...?

Between your knee and your ankle.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Keane being out is good news, he just isn't having an impact, althogh it is important to have somebody with experiance, but i do feel the way he plays can be even detrimental rather then the insipiring role he is supposed to play in order to get the younger lads going.
    That said, the younder newer lads seem to be about the only chance we have of going out and creating chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Hope to see the following team start.

GK. Forde

RB. Coleman
    CB. O'Shea
    CB. Clark
    LB. Wilson

RM. Brady
    CM. Green (not Whelan, Green has a game under his belt this week, lets keep him in)
    CM. McCarthy
    LM. McLean

CAM. Hoolahan
    CF. Long

Hope hope hope thats the team thats played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Doubt he'll start Brady,be Walters again I'd say.

Hopefully Hoolahan gets a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Doubt he'll start Brady,be Walters again I'd say.

Hopefully Hoolahan gets a start.
    They both will imo, Walters up front with Brady on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Its like it is destiny or something.

Surely Hoolahan has to come in for Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

So long as walters isint playing out wide ill be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

240313175355.png

This would have been my preferred starting 11 v sweden. said it even before the game, and now i can't really see how the team can line up any other way.

one change I would make perhaps would be hoolahan for long, playing in the hole and walters up top. something about long in the last game really annoyed me....and unless it was keane pissing him off think he should be dragged off...

that said he is the best striker we have, so its with hesitation i take him out. Think walters offers far too much with regards heart to withdraw him from the first XI.

dunno how popular an opinion this is around here, but keane injured to me is a blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Forde
    Coleman O Shea Clark Wilson
    Whelan McCarthy
    Brady Hoolahan McClean
    Long

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Think Long's criticism was harsh after the last game. I think he'll prove the critics wrong provided he starts. From the little I've seen of him for West Brom this season he has been promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I hope to God that Whelan does not come in for McCarthy, pity Glenn did not stay injured for another few days to make this a non issue :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Keane out could be a blessing. Be interesting to see now will we throw Hoolahan straight in for Robbie, or will Brady come in on the wing with Walters moving into Robbies position. Cox could even be in with a shout of getting a game now too, surely to god Sammon is too much of an out and out striker (and not a brilliant one at that) to play the role Keane was playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

El Spearo wrote: »
    240313175355.png

This would have been my preferred starting 11 v sweden. said it even before the game, and now i can't really see how the team can line up any other way.

one change I would make perhaps would be hoolahan for long, playing in the hole and walters up top. something about long in the last game really annoyed me....and unless it was keane pissing him off think he should be dragged off...

that said he is the best striker we have, so its with hesitation i take him out. Think walters offers far too much with regards heart to withdraw him from the first XI.

dunno how popular an opinion this is around here, but keane injured to me is a blessing.

Drop one of the strikers and get Hoolahan in. 4-5-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Massive game this now on Tuesday, debating whether to go the game or not....I'd go with the same team that started against Sweden with Wes Hoolohan replacing Robbie Keane with O'Shea Captain.

Austria will be a tough nut too crack but fancy us to nick a 1-0 unconvincing win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Massive game this now on Tuesday, debating whether to go the game or not....I'd go with the same team that started against Sweden with Wes Hoolohan replacing Robbie Keane with O'Shea Captain.

Austria will be a tough nut too crack but fancy us to nick a 1-0 unconvincing win!
    end the debate, go and support the lads!

El Spearo wrote: »
    240313175355.png

I'd swap Wilson and Coleman back to their usual sides first. Also I'd probably leave Walters in at the expense of Brady. I get the feeling Trap doesn't want Brady and Coleman on the same wing. Add to that don't have a decent target man up front it's good to have Walters for that function. We showed vs Sweden that even with our best intentions to play for a change, once it got to around 60mins it was back to hoofing the ball away. Finally I'd probably have Hoolahan in behind Long. 4411 I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

240313202453.png

that was actually just a mistake by me regarding the full back sides....

but yeah, holahan coming in would work too, but that would leave me wanting long starting. i know im critical of him, but he's a better lone striker to walters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Toni Polster can't play right? If so I think we should be ok this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Keane out with a calf injury.

And hopefully dropped for rest of the qualifiers:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

And hopefully dropped for rest of the qualifiers:(.
    Some dreadful posting in this thread to get us started. Keane is a huge loss. Not too many goals in the other forward options thus far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone who thinks Keane isn't a loss is a bit clueless, and more than a bit disrespectful.

i wanted him off on Friday after 65/70, as it was clear he wasn't that sharp.

but to not have him at all is a big loss on Tuesday, and it's ignorant to think any different.

whatever people think of him, he scores. and Ireland are not blessed with goalscorers.

i think a front 2 of Hoolahan off Long is our best bet, but it's more likely to be Long/Sammon.

i still hope to God McCarthy starts - that's the really big one for me.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Some dreadful posting in this thread to get us started. Keane is a huge loss. Not too many goals in the other forward options thus far this season.

It's all much of a muchness up front at this stage. Since he moved to MLS Keane has pretty much dried up for Ireland. He scored 3 goals in 15 games for Ireland over that period (and two of those were penalties).

If ones argument is to keep Keane in the team because he scores goals and the others don't then that much is hardly true anymore either.

Just don't let Walters take the peno if we get one on Tuesday and we should be ok without Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I know its Trap, but surely we dont have to question if McCarthy starts on tues or not?!

Has to be a given at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The James McCarthy love around here has gone way ott. He played very well on Friday and I hope he starts on Tuesday too but you'd swear he was the only player on the pitch the other night the way some people are going on.

Paul Green and McCarthy played very well together and based on that game they look a good pairing in midfield. I personally think Green deserves almost as much credit as McCarthy for the other night. His play allowed McCarthy to boss the midfield.

As for the loss of Keane, well I think its a huge loss as he is a leader on the field and is a proven goalscorer for us. In his absence I'd like to see Wes get the start like everybody else. I'm just worried that we will struggle to get goals. It wouldn't surprise me if Trap put Walters in the attacking midfield role which he is more suited to imo and brings in Keogh in that wing-forward type role that Walters played on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭bren2001

eagle eye wrote: »
    The James McCarthy love around here has gone way ott. He played very well on Friday and I hope he starts on Tuesday too but you'd swear he was the only player on the pitch the other night the way some people are going on.

Never mind the McCarthy love, he is a quality player. Its the Green love that im worried about! One decent game in an Ireland jersey and everyone's banging on that he should be CM for the campaign. I'd start Whelan and McCarthy on Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I don't think Keane is a loss for Tuesday. He is a loss to bring off the bench if we are going all out attack in the final 20. But I don't think he gives us enough in his all around play, and he hasn't been scoring for Ireland in recent times, so having Hoolahan (Hopefully) in there instead of him will be a big boost to us being able to keep possession and dominate the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

First time going to Aviva.. best way to get tickets?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement